What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
RIP Sabine Schmitz - badbusdriver

Just read that she has passed away at the age of 51 after a battle with cancer.

Here is one of my favourites with her, (2nd part) the Nurburgring Transit challenge (via YouTube),

watch

Just to be clear, she took a more or less standard (including the standard van tyres) 135bhp Transit round the ring in 10 minutes 8 seconds!

Which is a FAR more impressive achievement than Guy Martin managing 9 minutes 28 seconds in a near 600bhp, mid engined Transit with bespoke suspension, racing tyres and fancy aerodynamic aids.

RIP Sabine Schmitz - Metropolis.
Very sad, her transit lap was the first thing I thought of as well. A short life well lived!
Very sad, her transit lap was the first thing I thought of as well. A short life well lived!

Truly the Queen of the 'Ring.

RIP Sabine Schmitz - nellyjak

That is so sad...and so young too...RIP

RIP Sabine Schmitz - _

That video was so much fun to watch.

RIP Sabine.

RIP Sabine Schmitz - Trilogy.

So sad, such a great person too.

RIP Sabine Schmitz - Galaxy

Very sad news. I loved her when she appeared on "Top Gear"!

She was wonderful.

R.I.P. Sabine Schmitz

RIP Sabine Schmitz - daveyjp

RIP. She was a great asset to the programme.

The first episode of the new series of TG shown on Sunday was dross,

RIP Sabine Schmitz - Metropolis.
Wasnt she also a presenter on German top gear? Not sure if that is still even a thing
RIP Sabine Schmitz - Bromptonaut

Just to be clear, she took a more or less standard (including the standard van tyres) 135bhp Transit round the ring in 10 minutes 8 seconds!

And IIRC did so while keeping up a narration in a (to her) foreign language.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 17/03/2021 at 11:47

RIP Sabine Schmitz - jc2
Sounds like it used the three litre essex engine that was offered as an option in ambulances,fire engines and anything that wanted more power than the standard offerings- later the 2.8/2.9 Fog v6 was used.At one time the saloon car record round the Full Nurburgring circuit was held by a Capri with a 2.9 V6.
Sounds like it used the three litre essex engine that was offered as an option in ambulances,fire engines and anything that wanted more power than the standard offerings- later the 2.8/2.9 Fog v6 was used.At one time the saloon car record round the Full Nurburgring circuit was held by a Capri with a 2.9 V6.

If you are talking about the Transit in the 'Ring video, it uses the 2.4 'Duratorq' turbo diesel.

TBH, as far as I am aware, the only petrol offered in this era of transit (in this country anyway) was the 2.3 4 cyl as used in the Granada/Scorpio and early Galaxy. It makes about 145bhp, but if fitted to a Transit, would most likely be converted to LPG.

RIP Sabine Schmitz - Engineer Andy

Which is a FAR more impressive achievement than Guy Martin managing 9 minutes 28 seconds in a near 600bhp, mid engined Transit with bespoke suspension, racing tyres and fancy aerodynamic aids.

I'm sure that some local delivery drivers could give that time a run for its money!

RIP Sabine. She was hot. In more ways than one.

RIP Sabine Schmitz - bazza

I had not seen the Transit lap, thanks for posting, what a phenomenal drive! Very sad news.

RIP Sabine Schmitz - Trilogy.

Sad news indeed - fabulous driver and a great character too. She was the best driver on TG, by far.

RIP Sabine Schmitz - SLO76
Some lass she was, a very sad loss.

Just bringing this back to recommend for anyone interested to watch the Top Gear special on Sabine. Just watched it myself, it is very very good, well worth 30 mins of any petrolhead's time!.

A fitting tribute to someone accurately described as a 'force of nature'!.