What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Murray Walker...RIP - nellyjak

Yes another good man gone..

Murray Walker...RIP - Xileno

Yes, sadly. But 97 is a good age by any measure.

I always enjoyed it when he was commentator and was sad when he retired.

Murray Walker...RIP - sammy1

A great character and knowledgeable motor enthusiast. I will always remember him poking Nigel Mansell in the head after Nigel had had a crash and bumped his head.

Murray Walker...RIP - Alby Back
I used to enjoy his "relationship" with James Hunt. Both very likeable characters, but so very different.

RIP Murray, you were a joy to watch.
Murray Walker...RIP - _

I missed the other Post.

so here is my lttle addition

After many hilarious laps, Murray walker has run his race.

One of the nicest men I ever met in Motor racing.

He once hilariously exclaimed: "There's nothing wrong with the car... except that it's on fire!"

"With half the race gone, there is half the race still to go."

"Unless I'm very much mistaken -- and I AM very much mistaken!"

and more.

Murray Walker...RIP - Engineer Andy

Let's hope that F1 gives him the fantastic send off he deserves.

"And there goes..."

Murray Walker...RIP - badbusdriver

I remember during an interview with the great man on the radio some years ago, there was a funny story from early on in his career as an F1 commentator. At a Grand Prix (British I think), he had been told the band Fleetwood Mac was in attendance and to get an interview. But he had no idea who they were or what any of them looked like. During the course of wandering around looking for anyone who, to him, looked like they may be in a band, he bumped into a lanky, scruffy looking chap, with long hair and a beard, got chatting with him and mentioned his predicament.

The chap says, "I can probably help you there".

Murray says, "How?".

The chap says, "I'm Mick Fleetwood".

Murray Walker...RIP - nick62

Met him once very briefly during the IOM TT races.

Proper character and will be much missed.

Murray Walker...RIP - Senexdriver

Murray was such a gentleman. Highly knowledgeable and never offensive. You could forgive his Murrayisms as he was so inoffensive.

For all his gaffes, what sealed my respect for him was the occasion of the tragic death of Ayrton Senna. I didn’t watch the live broadcast of the race, but I heard the terrible news shortly afterwards. In those days the highlights were shown in the evening and I tuned in as usual to watch the race and to better understand the circumstances of the accident. Before the broadcast, Murray gave a short tribute to Senna to camera and they were some of the most well-chosen words I have ever heard. And Murray had only had a short while between the live race and the editing of the highlights to put his tribute together. I thought at the time how I wish I had the skill of choosing the right words for the occasion. RIP Murray.

Murray Walker...RIP - S40 Man

His voice was one of the sounds of my childhood. I watched a few you tube videos of his efforts. Lots of good memories.