What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Autonomous vehicles legal liabilty in accidents - brum

In the UK looking likely manufacturers will be liable in accidents involving cars being driven in autonomous mode.

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/12/18/motorists-self.../

Autonomous vehicles legal liabilty in accidents - Ethan Edwards

So your saying the driver could be, uninsured. Or not have a licence? Be out of his gourd on drink or drugs. And still the courts will hold him blameless. Wow that's going to need some changes in the law. Even if the driver was alert and capable of taking over control and avoiding or minimising the accident. Even then your saying the law is going to hold the manufacturer liable. What an age we live in. Me I'm going to go get bladdered nick a Tesla and Auto drive around a bit. Seems nobody will have any issues with that.

Autonomous vehicles legal liabilty in accidents - Terry W

A fully autonomous vehicle should not need the driver to play any part in the "driving" process.

With other equipment operating in a public space - eg: escalator, fruit machine etc - the operator needs to ensure that they adhere to the manufacturers guidelines on servicing and use. In the event of a claim the manufacturer is ultimately liable.

Consumer law tends to simplify things for the consumer so that Joe Public usually has rights against the supplier. But the supplier can then recover, through legal action if necessary, any losses from the manufacturer.

Similar logic can apply to fully autonomous vehicles. If the manual says it is ok to go to sleep, read a book or look backward out the rear window, that's fine. If it says the driver should remain alert to any malfunction and operate the "abort" button if required, then getting bladdered before the journey starts may make you partly liable for an accident.

Fortunately all autonomous cars have copious sensor systems - it will be much esier than currently to understand (a) what actually happened, and (b) who is responsible.

Autonomous vehicles legal liabilty in accidents - focussed

Until this question of who is liable in the event of an accident involving a autonomous vehicle whether it be - driver, supplying dealer or manufacturer the mass-market take up of these vehicles isn't going anywhere.

If the driver is going to be liable - they are not in any way autonomous, just another EV.

If the supplying dealer is going to be liable - they won't want to sell them unless the manufacturer indemnifies them against all claims.

Any insurance underwriter will want someone to blame to get out of their liability to third-parties.

So it's back to the manufacturer. Do they feel lucky I wonder?

Unless of course the main cheerleader for the introduction of driverless vehicles, the government, indemnifies the manufacturer against all liabilities.

I can't see this being resolved easily or quickly.