MK4 Golf - Belt noise when turning at low speeds - Roy Brown

Hi, I have a MK4 Golf which makes a rather embarrassing squeak when turning at low speeds. I have tried to recreate the sound when the car is at idle with the bonnet open, but it only makes the noise when driving.

It is definitely a belt noise, but how do I determine if it is the Aux Belt, the tensioner or the Alternator pulley? The belt looks fairly new, the writing is very easy to read and clean

Any help appreciated thanks!!

Edited by Roy Brown on 16/12/2020 at 11:39

MK4 Golf - Belt noise when turning at low speeds - Andrew-T

When you say 'turning' do you mean steering ? If so maybe the power-steering system ?

MK4 Golf - Belt noise when turning at low speeds - elekie&a/c doctor
If you can read the legend on the belt , what is the length of the belt ? . It will probably start with the legend 6 PK , followed by 4 or 5 numbers .
MK4 Golf - Belt noise when turning at low speeds - edlithgow

When you say 'turning' do you mean steering ? If so maybe the power-steering system ?

Or could it possibly not be a belt noise, but a bad CV joint?

MK4 Golf - Belt noise when turning at low speeds - bathtub tom

Or could it possibly not be a belt noise, but a bad CV joint?

CV joints tend to click, not squeak.

If it's a hydraulic power assistance, then it's likely the belt slipping. If it's electrical assistance, then it's probably still the belt slipping on the alternator.

Can the belt be tightened manually, or is it automatic?

MK4 Golf - Belt noise when turning at low speeds - Roy Brown

Yes turning the steering wheel I meant.

Ive already fitted a complete new steering rack with track rods etc, the noise is 100% a belt related noise so im asking is there anyway I can test these before i end up buying a new tensioner, a new aux belt and a new alternator pulley?

MK4 Golf - Belt noise when turning at low speeds - Andrew-T

Yes turning the steering wheel I meant.

So does the car have electric or hydraulic PAS ? If the latter, how is the pump driven - does it share a drive belt or not ? (you can see I know nothing about Golfs) :-)

MK4 Golf - Belt noise when turning at low speeds - John F

With the engine running, spray the belt liberally with water. If the squeak goes away, it's the belt squeaking. If not, it might be a squeaky failing bearing of something the belt drives. But it still might be a failing bearing stiffening up causing the belt to slip and squeak. Belts shouldn't squeak. In the old days of non-automatic tensioners and loose belts it was common to hear a transient screech after start up when the dynamo had to work hard briefly to recharge the battery.