What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
any - How did he survive? - _

www.thesun.co.uk/news/12840733/driver-escapes-scra.../

any - How did he survive? - gordonbennet

From what i understand he wasn't in the van at the time of impact, i don't see how he could have survived otherwise.

That picture should be warning for people, look how far the front bumper of that artic had moved back 'crumpling', er no the bumper hasn't moved because the chassis is directly behind.

any - How did he survive? - dan86

From what i understand he wasn't in the van at the time of impact, i don't see how he could have survived otherwise.

That picture should be warning for people, look how far the front bumper of that artic had moved back 'crumpling', er no the bumper hasn't moved because the chassis is directly behind.

As GB says it hasn't moved due to the fact that the bumper of the hgv is directly attached to the solid steel chassis and that will have caused the weight of the vehicle to travel through in to the other vehicle, never a good idea to break check a large commercial vehicle.

I was cut up by a car who then slammed on the breaks i had very little time to react but the dash cam footage showed id collided with the other car at only 5 MPH after hitting the breaks. the damage to my 26000 kg lorry was a broken number plate the ford bmax at less then a month old was a complete write off with the whole rear of the car including the rear wheels hadbeen pushed in to the passenger compartment lucky only the driver was on board.

it really shook me up the lady driving the car was lucky to have no injuries and herself was very shaken up.

any - How did he survive? - mss1tw

never a good idea to break check a large commercial vehicle.

Anyone want to hazard a guess as to what I typically find 3 inches off the back bumper when I'm on a journey where I am happy to bimble along in the inside lane?

Anyone want to hazard a guess as to what I typically find 3 inches off the back bumper when I'm on a journey where I am happy to bimble along in the inside lane?

I have every sympathy and yes i see it every day and it diminishes the long earned and long tarnished repututions of every decent lorry driver out there, the only mitigation is that the tailgater at the wheel of that truck is not a lorry driver and never will be so long as he has that rear orifice, he is a steering wheel operative.

Of course you are "One of the good ones" GB.

Them only being steering wheel operatives is no comfort when all I can see in the rear view is AINACS. I can't remember any recent journey where it hasn't happened either. So it's out into the other lanes where I only get tailed by over-aggressively styled Audis, and I have no problem with brake checking them...

So it's out into the other lanes where I only get tailed by over-aggressively styled Audis, and I have no problem with brake checking them...

Understandable, and yes i don't blame you getting out, don't know if i'm one of the good ones or not, i can't watch what i'm doing from outside so what i might think is fine might appear bad in the eyes of others.

One wonders in the fullness of time whether 4 lane motorways will in practice (with HGV's more than likely legislated against the currently allowed overtaking in the 3rd lane of a 4 lane carriageway) see the nearside two lanes solely used for lorries with cars and light vans only using the outer 2 lanes unless entering or leaving the carriaegway.

any - How did he survive? - alan1302

I only get tailed by over-aggressively styled Audis, and I have no problem with brake checking them...

You are as bad as the tailgaters if you are doing that.

any - How did he survive? - Trilogy.

I only get tailed by over-aggressively styled Audis, and I have no problem with brake checking them...

Yes, brake checking is a really bad idea and can escalate into more trouble. When I drive my van tailgating never bothers me, no rear window to really know exactly how close anyone might be. If I get tailgated while driving a car on an ordinary road I either ignore, put on hazard lights or pull over at the earliest opportunity. I'm rarely on a motorway or dual carriageway..

Not really. What if I had to brake even harder, suddenly, for real? Do the laws of physics only apply if I dab the brake pedal briefly?

Not really. What if I had to brake even harder, suddenly, for real? Do the laws of physics only apply if I dab the brake pedal briefly?

Two wrongs don't make a right. As you can see from what I do they're safer, more sensible ways of dealing with tailgaters. If you're not careful you could get an inattentive driver, as some are, involve you in a serious accident and you'd be partly to blame if you've brake tested them.

You also say you don't drive on the motorway that often. I do a lot of motorway miles. You can move over a lane and move back out again, and within a minute another knucke-dragger will appear on the back bumper.

You also say you don't drive on the motorway that often. I do a lot of motorway miles. You can move over a lane and move back out again, and within a minute another knucke-dragger will appear on the back bumper.

You're funeral if you want to keep on with your technique. I've used hazard lights on a motorway, works a treat. And if the police see you doing it I expect they'll take as dim a view of you as the tailgater and haul you over. If you get rammed one day as result of brake checking someone, think of the carnage that could be caused. Not just to you but other innocent drivers who were not involved in an act of stupidity.

Edited by Trilogy. on 06/10/2020 at 16:40

any - How did he survive? - bathtub tom

So it's out into the other lanes where I only get tailed by over-aggressively styled Audis, and I have no problem with brake checking them...

What if one of them gets as annoyed with you as you are with them, gets past and brake checks you? Dangerous game you're playing.

What if one of them gets as annoyed with you as you are with them, gets past and brake checks you? Dangerous game you're playing.

Not really. As you've probably guessed, I leave a gap, so would not be affected by them brake checking me.

any - How did he survive? - Manatee

There are worse things than being 'brake checked'. You have no idea what sort of psychopath you might be winding up.

any - How did he survive? - Bromptonaut

There are worse things than being 'brake checked'. You have no idea what sort of psychopath you might be winding up.

Absolutely. Just look at some of the dashcam films on the internet.

There is that. I'm feeling a bit calmer after a day off the road. Will try not to let that bar stewards grind my patience down any more.

any - How did he survive? - alan1302

Says in the article that he was cut out and only had scratches so assume he must have been in it.

any - How did he survive? - Engineer Andy

Maybe Mini-me was driving? Or Mr Fantastic? Or Ant-Man?

Maybe I should sell my car and by a truck. Gives me an excuse to buy Yorkie bars at least.

any - How did he survive? - dan86

Maybe I should sell my car and by a truck. Gives me an excuse to buy Yorkie bars at least.

Just as long as you're not a girl

any - How did he survive? - Engineer Andy

Just as long as you're not a girl

If I was, I'd be called Andi. :-)

any - How did he survive? - concrete

Coincidentally I was 'tailgated' this very morning. He caught up with me in 30 zone. His idea of observing the speed limit was to drive at 60 until he reached someone who was doing 30 then tailgate them to show his annoyance. Didn't make a jot of difference. A tractor and convoy up ahead and pretty soon a convoy behind too. When possible I stuck rigidly to the limit after the tractor had gone and watched as he quietly simmered with frustration behind me. Deep joy. Kept him there for another 8 miles or so until he turned off. No doubt to repeat the whole pointless process. It can be fun, especially as I know the road very well and there are some tricky bends that catch out the unwary or reckless. I of course barrelled round them at full speed and gained about the right distance for safety, but to no avail. The magnetic bumpers were still on full power and kept on pulling him in!! Why oh why do they do this utterly futile exercise? Country roads are fairly busy and certainly dangerous in parts so why the rush? Guess what the vehicle tailgating me was?

That's right, an Audi with great big 'get lost' DLR's blazing away. Seems they have taken over from Mercedes and BMW as the car of choice for the terminally stupid.

Cheers Concrete

You have my sympathy!

any - How did he survive? - galileo

It's been suggested that AUDI is an acronym for Another Useless D---head Inside.

any - How did he survive? - Avant

Agreed - this sort of aggressive tailgating happens all too often. It's easy to generalise about what sort of car such idiots drive: personally I find that what nearly all of them have in common is that their cars are black. They could be in BMWs, Audis, Range Rovers, although very seldom Mercedes for some reason, and never a Skoda. But usually black.

But unlike those who would tar all Audi drivers with the same brush, I'm not suggesting that all drivers of black cars are road-hogs.

any - How did he survive? - nellyjak

As above...it isn't just Audi drivers...these muppets drive the same whichever car they're in,....just a shame that they seem to favour particular makes.

It's a blend of arrogance, ignorance, impatience and intolerance...with the sure knowledge that their journey is far more important than yours..!!!

any - How did he survive? - dadbif
He was b***** lucky!
any - How did he survive? - Smileyman

One of the joys of working from home is the avoidance of nearly 400 miles / 10 hours a week commuting ... back and forth, back and forth. Every delay adds to my journey time, likewise detours to avoid road works and other congestion. Hope it will continue to next spring at least then time to have a meaningful chat with the boss.

Certainly looking forwards to Brexit, being in Kent and using the M2 / crossing the M20 I feel I will be in the firing line for congestion. I still remember a few years ago when there were big problems, for those who can homeworking looks to be even more attractive. Also frees up the roads for HGV's to make better progress with less traffic about.

any - How did he survive? - Senexdriver

As well as the aggressive/impatient tailgater there is the inattentive tailgater. The worst thing about this species is that they don’t know they’re doing it and are more likely to be taken by surprise in the event of an emergency. A few years back I was travelling along a road punctuated by frequent roundabouts. Following me was a young woman in a Zafira or something similar - certainly not the type of car or driver you’d associate with aggressive tailgating and she was making no attempt to overtake.

After a few roundabouts I noticed she was driving very close to my rear end so I began to accelerate away from her after each roundabout. I had to ease off the throttle each time I reached the speed limit and, sure enough, by the time we reached the next roundabout she was back on my bumper. Maybe it was a security thing, I don’t know, but she seemed to think the correct positioning on the road was immediately behind me. I don’t remember how the situation resolved itself; she maybe turned off eventually, but the motoring organisations say that you should pull over and let them lock on to the rear of the next vehicle they catch up with.