Peugeot 308 Verve 2010 - P1338 - Misfire Cylinder No.2 (Losing the will) - Douglas Plant

Hello,

I am looking for some help as I am losing the will (and running out of money).

My Peugeot 308 Verve (2010 Plate) first developed this problem about a year ago and since then has had multiple works done to try and fix it with no avail.

The car will run fine until the engine is warmed up and then as soon has the engine is warm and then comes to a stand still (just ticking over) the car begins to misfire and the engine fan kicks in. I can stop the car misfiring by simply turning the engine off and restarting but as soon has the engine fan has done its job and engine returns to normal running temp the Misfire starts again (When the engine is turned off the engine fan will remain working for a further 5 minutes).

The car will and as always displayed error - P1338 Misfire Cylinder No.2

I have browsed and searched many possible fixes which have all been completed which include:

New Coil Pack (All 4 Cylinders).

New Spark Plugs (Twice since problem started).

New Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor.

Drive Shaft Realignment.

Car has also had a full service all filters and oil change along with a full engine flush / clean.

I just don't know where to go next or what to look at as to what can be causing the problem.

I have my own OBD monitor and from what I can see the car is running 10° hotter than what my dial actually displays (warn running engine temp usually of 90° shown on dial yet OBD reports 100°).

Any suggestions on possible fixes or help identifying the problem will be highly appreciated.

The only option I'm left with is taking it to official Peugeot garage and having a full investigation into the ECU which is going to cost me a small fortune.

Please help!

Edited by Douglas Plant on 04/10/2020 at 07:53

Peugeot 308 Verve 2010 - P1338 - Misfire Cylinder No.2 (Losing the will) - craig-pd130

Are there any signs of head gasket failure - either water in the oil, or oil droplets / murkiness in the coolant header tank? The high running temperature and the fan cutting in makes me suspect a head gasket problem.

The other thing I can think of - and this is a long shot - is to closely inspect the wiring sub-loom that feeds the coil packs, and especially the wires and connector plug for the coil on #2 cylinder for any signs of broken insulation that could be causing an intermittent short.

Peugeot 308 Verve 2010 - P1338 - Misfire Cylinder No.2 (Losing the will) - elekie&a/c doctor
Remove the engine Ecu multi plug connectors and check for any water ingress.
Peugeot 308 Verve 2010 - P1338 - Misfire Cylinder No.2 (Losing the will) - Gibbo_Wirral

Needs a Planet diagnostic with live data reading.

Google "planet owners map"

Peugeot 308 Verve 2010 - P1338 - Misfire Cylinder No.2 (Losing the will) - edlithgow

Needs a Planet diagnostic with live data reading.

Google "planet owners map"

Id put a Colortune on it, though I seem to have lost mine.

If, say, it were temporarily losing compression due to a valve hanging up, there probably wouldn't be time to detect that with a classical compression tester, but a relative compression test using starter motor current draw might be quick enough.

Edited by edlithgow on 07/10/2020 at 17:01

Peugeot 308 Verve 2010 - P1338 - Misfire Cylinder No.2 (Losing the will) - sera rodda

my 306 has compreession

leads are sending spark

sparks coming out of sparrks

changed coil pack no change

took exhaust off no change

air flow tested rising on revs perfectly

fuels coming out of rail

air intake taken off no change

2 and 3 still misfing

mostly at idle and upon revs it wants to die instantly as i start the car ...have to gas on to keep it going ,,, but still steady misfire upon reevs few backfires hear and thier

dies removing 1 and 4 leads when running ,,, have swapped sparks aorund in past pretty sure made no differnce ,,, will check again ,, which brought me back to leads or coil ,,, yet they are all working ?

fuel to much when in block ? is what i originally thought right from the begining or to less fuel say for example ,,, yet all 4 on rail were squirting around the same pressure by eye when checked

i will re check this properly

done almost every test with my mate we are both stumpt slightly its feels liek we going round and round ???

with this misfire

i know a bit about cars im not professional but something doesn't seem right to me like i feel we have checked eveyrhting ive read almost everything possible about misfries and how engines work seriously

my mind says it should be running,,,, maybe im missing something ?

something stupid and prob what ive already checked uno... like my mate helped him with his mirage

same misfire

o2 light on dash

he changed sparks solved problem for a little bit he rekons then back to sq 1

so i said goo buy some leads

got their.... one cylinder of his new spark plug still looked new others were burnt had obviously Fired fine ... so i changed the one cyl lead minor change ,,, weirdly ,, changed all 4 leads drove like brand new again

leads did have orange build up on them

I'm thinking maybe ironically i need to just replaced leads sparks and coil at same time and see if it stops as it seems somethings making me go round and f***n round wit this car ... ahhahaha they alll look fine no white residue on sparks leads coil look new

as I've only changed coil pack because the leads were sparking and the sparks are getting spark . fuel is coming out of rail and air is fine matching revs and compression is good ..... any ideas cheers

i guess people will say just change them all but why when they are working fine i know people will say but under load they may not be as in once they are in the block they cant handle the pressure ?? its all crossed my mind but their must be something i am missing here ?

why change something if its working ?

so then it brings me back to over fuel upon spark ,,,, but then rails squiting jujst fine and air flow is fine ?? ahhahaha anyway thanks in advance let me know where im gfoing wrong !! only way to learn :)

sera

nz

Reply | Report as offensive | Edit | Link

Peugeot 308 Verve 2010 - P1338 - Misfire Cylinder No.2 (Losing the will) - Blagoja Grujovski
Hi,
I have the same problem with my 308 vti.
No one can find the cause. Have you solved the enigma?
Greets