What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Skoda Fabia - Buying 57 plate fabia 1.9 tdi pd2 - Tury

Pls could somebody help - i know nothing about cars.

I have a 51 plate fabia 1.9 tdi pd its got 280k ans runs fine unfortunately abs pump has failed. I guess time for newer car. I have found 57 plate non dpf tdi pd 1.9.

Is there a way to find out if this is the same ultra reliable engine in my previous car? Do i have to look at bhp or other spec? If so how do i find this out? I have tried googling but dont know what I'm looking for.

What does pd2 mean in practical terms?

Thanks for any help.

Skoda Fabia - Buying 57 plate fabia 1.9 tdi pd2 - elekie&a/c doctor

I think I would stick with what you got. The Pd 1.9 engine is capable of warp factor mileage ,as you have found out. You say the abs pump has failed, but what exactly is the fault logged?

Skoda Fabia - Buying 57 plate fabia 1.9 tdi pd2 - Ian D
As the previous poster has said, fix the car you have. £50 for a secondhand pump, not much labour and car back on the road..... Dependent upon the fault (G201 sensor failure for example) the pump can be repaired by reputable companies like ECU Testing

Edited by Ian D on 11/08/2020 at 23:11

Skoda Fabia - Buying 57 plate fabia 1.9 tdi pd2 - Avant

I'm sure the 1.9 TDI engine in the 2007 Fabia is similarly reliable. But buying any 13-year-old car is a gamble, more so than keeping the one you have and presumably look after well for it still to be going strong.

There will come a time when it'll need a repair that makes it uneconomic, but I agree that a new ABS pump isn't that. Keep the one you've got and save for something newer in the medium-term.

Skoda Fabia - Buying 57 plate fabia 1.9 tdi pd2 - Tury

Thanks for the advice,

Im not sure what the code is i will ask the garage what it is.

A recon pump from ecu people is about £200 then i have to pay to get it fitted.

2nd hand pumps do look like about 50 on ebay (dont know where else to look). Labour is about 150with no guarantee it will work (if it dont i can get a 30 day refund but would stil have the labour for fitting and removing i guess).

The car i am looking at is from a dealer with fsh and 3 month warranty. I can get mechanic i know to inspect and test drive. I would also iuse c card to get some level of protection (?).

Every car i have bought b4 i had from friends but nobody selling at moment.

Can anybody point me to info on if the engine is the same. I have looked at website dpfproblems but cant find info for sure if its same engine. I wish i knew more about cars. My trade is I.T mechanical things confuse me!

I sincerely appreciate all advice / help

Skoda Fabia - Buying 57 plate fabia 1.9 tdi pd2 - barney100

13 years old for a well maintained car is not unusual. I have a sad life and take notice of which makes last a long time. Surprisingly there are numerous Renaults and Citroens around at 20 years old. Mercs and BMWs, pretty well all of the older makes have 20 plus year old cars still going. Maybe hanging on a bit longer is a good idea if you want to save cash.

Skoda Fabia - Buying 57 plate fabia 1.9 tdi pd2 - SLO76
It’s an updated version of the same engine and reliability is good as long as you avoid the GreenLine which has a DPF, something this elderly engine doesn’t go well with. But as with all older diesels there’s plenty to go expensively wrong and unless you’re doing a big mileage it’s usually wiser to stick with petrol. It’ll also no doubt be overdue a timing belt and water pump which is due every 5yrs on these. If there’s no proof of it being done then budget around £350-£400 at a garage as no dealer selling budget cars will do it properly if at all.

That said the Fabia 2 is one such car that diesel is definitely best as the 3cyl petrol 1.2’s are weak both in performance and longevity. I’d also advise opening up the search to include others, particularly small petrol engined Japanese models like the Suzuki Swift, Toyota Yaris/Auris/Corolla, Honda Jazz/Civic and Mazda 2/3. But as with any car purchase on a limited budget you’re best casting the net wide and buying on condition and history over make and model.

If you want us to take a look then post the advert to the car here and we’ll look at what else is for sale nearby.

Edited by SLO76 on 12/08/2020 at 14:51

Skoda Fabia - Buying 57 plate fabia 1.9 tdi pd2 - concrete

I agree with others here. The one you have is the original PD Tdi 1.9 and is capable of starship mileages if looked after. Mine had over 210k miles when I sold it on and there was a bun fight for it. But it was on it's third cambelt, water pump etc etc. and had regular servicing from new. I would try to fix it and save for something a little newer in the meantime.

Good luck. Cheers Concrete