What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Suzuki Jimny - Well, that didn’t last long... - mcb100
Only just over 18 months since it was launched in the UK, Suzuki have stopped taking orders for the Jimny. Supply had been an issue since day one.
Which now means that Suzuki have a hybrid variant of every model in their range.
Suzuki Jimny - Well, that didn’t last long... - groaver

With the newer Swift Sport in place, I think the marque has lost a lot of appeal.

I don't suppose they will be the last.

Suzuki Jimny - Well, that didn’t last long... - Brit_in_Germany

This was reported in January - again the EU emissions rules were blamed. The talk then was a commercial vehicle version where presumably the rules are more lax.

Suzuki Jimny - Well, that didn’t last long... - thunderbird

This was reported in January - again the EU emissions rules were blamed. The talk then was a commercial vehicle version where presumably the rules are more lax.

Very true, saw it and considering the new Jinmy had only been on sale for a few months it was a surprise, the previous one lasted almost 20 years.

But when you look round the garages most Suzuki dealers are on small sites with small showrooms. With the recent announcement about selling rebadged Toyota Corolla and RAV 4 models its probable they do not have the capacity for selling the Jimny which is not an emission friendly car. The above 2 will be hybrid only.

A real pity it is no more - Jimny is a hugely competent off-roader. I spent a week in one at the dealer launch on a Land Rover designed course (on road tyres) and never came close to getting stuck or having to reverse away from anything.
Suzuki Jimny - Well, that didn’t last long... - daveyjp

Too polluting and they don't need to sell to the EU as output is snapped up by Far East countries.

Suzuki Jimny - Well, that didn’t last long... - badbusdriver

Certainly is a shame, arguably the coolest car available for sale today at any price. Looks like a Tonka toy made real!.

I don't really see why they couldn't fit a mild hybrid setup to the Jimny, i know it is a very small car, but so is the Ignis and they have managed to fit that with the 1.2 Dualjet mild hybrid setup.

I’d suspect it’d take more than a mild hybrid system to make Jimny ‘green’, with a ‘draggy’ 4WD system, and the aerodynamic qualities of Downton Abbey.

I suspect that the Jimny was a car that very quickly became unproductive in the current climate.

Their design brief was to keep it simple but Europe no longer wants that...

You've got to wonder how something like Ineos group's new truck will fare with 3 litre engine in it.

I suppose if they keep it as a commercial vehicle they'll get away with it.

Edited by groaver on 08/07/2020 at 10:32

I’d suspect it’d take more than a mild hybrid system to make Jimny ‘green’, with a ‘draggy’ 4WD system, and the aerodynamic qualities of Downton Abbey.

Fair enough, but taking the next step, why couldn't the Jimny be made electric?. The aerodynamics aren't really going to be a factor at the speeds one is likely to be driven at. And for similar reasons, it wouldn't need a huge battery for the range.

Going to sound horribly negative, and I don't want to be because I genuinely like it, but have you seen the boot size of a Jimny? And that's without having to package in batteries for an EV.

Suzuki Jimny - Well, that didn’t last long... - _

I strongly suspect that we will see a lot of lower spec low margin cars disappear from the market, so if those of you who are looking for fairly basic cars want one, buy while the going is good.

One example that comes to mind is the Chinese MG series, all explore model specs dropped and price rises on the rest.

Kia dropped the 1 spec on a lot of models.

Going to sound horribly negative, and I don't want to be because I genuinely like it, but have you seen the boot size of a Jimny? And that's without having to package in batteries for an EV.

The motor would go where the petrol engine goes, the battery pack(s) could be packed in amongst its chassis, including where the fuel tank currently resides.

The motor would go where the petrol engine goes, the battery pack(s) could be packed in amongst its chassis, including where the fuel tank currently resides.

If you have seen the recent Scandinavian tests for the Skoda superb, VW Passat and VW Up hybrids or full electric, they performed badly in their moose test.

I dread to think what a Jimny with its higher centre of gravity might do.

I'll leave that one to the techy types (and bean counters) at Suzuki to worry about whether it's feasible or deemed profitable.

If you have seen the recent Scandinavian tests for the Skoda superb, VW Passat and VW Up hybrids or full electric, they performed badly in their moose test.

I dread to think what a Jimny with its higher centre of gravity might do.

Making the Jimny electric with the battery or batteries around the chassis would lower the centre of gravity. While it certainly wouldn't turn it into a sportscar, an electric Jimny should be more stable than the petrol version.

It'd need some clever mapping of the throttle response - probably switching between a 'road' mode and an 'off-road' mode. EV's deliver gobs of torque at small throttle openings, not good news when just a tickle of the throttle is required. Could be potentially unstoppable in the right hands.

Suzuki Jimny - Well, that didn’t last long... - RT

The "elk" test doesn't favour any EV due to the weight of the batteries - it's not just a matter of how high/low the centre of gravity is, but the momentum of the extra mass reduces the ability to swerve at speed.

Indeed. That compounded by the Jimmy's lack of on-road manners will take some tinkering to get it roadworthy, I would have thought.

Suzuki Jimny - Well, that didn’t last long... - daveyK_UK
A real shame

The new Jimmy is a fantastic small car