What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Fiesta - Private plate and selling - Nathan Gardiner

So heres the deal, i am selling my first car it currently has a personalized plate attached to it. I plan to retain the plate which i know incurs an £80 charge but my question is, When i choose to take the plate off my car do i then have to wait for a whole new v5 document or can i simply get the new plates printed immediately and proceed with selling privately? I fear my problem lies with the v5 document as i was hoping to tell rather soonish but i know they can take a while to come through the post should i need one due to the old plates going back on.

Cheers :)

Would also like to add i do hold a v5 for the previous plate aswell as the new one so can i just use that when selling or do i need the most up to date?

Ford Fiesta - Private plate and selling - RT

DVLA is normally quite quick in sending a replacement V5c when you put the number on retention - the car normally goes back to its original registration (if it had one) but can't be guaranteed.

Without the new V5 in your possession, you can't get plates made legally - you can't legally use the old V5c as the new number might be different.

Best thing is to put the cherished number on retention now, fit the new plates and then sell the car at your leisure.

Edited by RT on 10/06/2020 at 18:08

so you reckon i should put the plate on retention today, wait for the new v5 document to arrive not driving my car in the mean time as i assume thats not allowed as it would be wearing the private plate but would be assigned the old one, then get the old plates back on and sell?

Ford Fiesta - Private plate and selling - RT

so you reckon i should put the plate on retention today, wait for the new v5 document to arrive not driving my car in the mean time as i assume thats not allowed as it would be wearing the private plate but would be assigned the old one, then get the old plates back on and sell?

You can drive the car in the meantime - you're allowed a reasonable (but undefined) time to change the plates - don't forget to notify your insurer when you change them

Thanks a bunch for the advice i have done as youve said and come to find out a new v5 will be sent in 3-5 days! Cheers again :)

Ford Fiesta - Private plate and selling - glidermania

You can do it immediately on line if your vehicle meets the conditions.

www.gov.uk/personalised-vehicle-registration-numbe...f