What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Toyota Avensis - Need a petrol auto - DirkThrust
Due to a new job I now have a commute of only 5 miles each way so I’m guessing my ‘63 Passat Diesel won’t be ideal. At this time I can’t see any longish journeys in the future so I think it’s time to change it.

I’ve wanted an auto for a while so now seems like a good time to get one. Budget is £12000 max. My first choice is an Avensis but they seem to be rarer than hen’s teeth in Petrol and auto. The only local one ( South Hants ) I can find is £14k and the dealer won’t budge one inch on the price. Wouldn’t mind a Prius but again they are rare and expensive.

So I’m looking at all makes. Are there any auto boxes to avoid other than the DSG and Powershift. I need a largish car as I have 4 children and all their assorted clobber can easily fill the boot of the Passat.

I saw a nice Mazda 3 locally but it was sold before I could even look at it.

Citroen C4 cactus may fit the bill. Are the 1.2 engines reliable?

Any input appreciated

Edited by DirkThrust on 07/06/2020 at 20:08

Toyota Avensis - Need a petrol auto - badbusdriver

Despite how it may look in pics and despite the fact that Citroen are currently pitching it in the Golf sized category, the C4 Cactus is not much bigger than a Fiesta (and is actually slightly narrower) so i very much doubt it would suit your needs.

And while the Mazda 3 may suit in terms of interior space, depending on the age of the kids, it's boot will be significantly smaller than that of a Passat.

With the Toyota's, not sure what you mean about the Prius, they are not rare cars at all, though granted there may not be much for sale in your imediate area. But as well as the Avensis and Prius, you could also look at the Auris, maybe the estate version, with the 1.2 turbo petrol (though this also comes as a hybrid with the same drivetrain as the Prius).

For the mazda, i'd be looking at the 6 and possibly the 5 which is a Zafira sized (7 seat) MPV.

Others i'd be interested in looking at would be a Honda Civic. This, like the Auris, is available as an estate, but the boot of the hatchback is pretty capacious so may not be needed. Either would be an excellent choice in terms of reliability.

Estate versions of either the Hyundai i30 or Kia Ceed would be a good shout though later versions do use a dual clutch automated manual (like the DSG or Poweshift).

I'd also be looking at the Vauxhall Astra 1.4T, possibly an Insignia too if you can find a petrol engined one.

Toyota Avensis - Need a petrol auto - Falkirk Bairn

Civic auto Estate

Auris auto estate

Thanks. The Cactus looked quite large in the photos on Autotrader. I guess they can be deceptive.

I can only find 1 Prius within 50 miles of my Postcode. I”m reluctant to travel too far to buy a car but if it’s still under Toyota’s warranty will any Toyota garage honour the warranty?

I can only find 1 Prius within 50 miles of my Postcode. I”m reluctant to travel too far to buy a car but if it’s still under Toyota’s warranty will any Toyota garage honour the warranty?

Yes, it doesn't have to be the supplying dealer, any will honour the warranty. Same for any other car with warranty remaining. Though for peace of mind, you'd ideally be looking for full dealer history, so all work has been done by a Toyota dealer.

Out of the 12 Priuses my search picks up, 10 are “imported” according to the basic history check.

Why so many imports? Is this a money making business, and they are also mostly private sellers, so not even a basic warranty.

A couple of points.

When you spoke of the warranty, i was assuming you meant any manufacturers warranty remaining and not the type usually offered with a 2nd hand car. Those type, usually 6 months, frankly are not really worth bothering too much about. Far better to focus on getting an inherently reliable car that has been well looked after.

With regards to the import Prius', not really sure what that is all about. Possibly due to all these 'clean air zones', used examples are in great demand as taxi's and as a means to avoid congestion charges?. But when looking at used examples, bear in mind that for your budget, an Auris hybrid would be around a 2015/2016 model, and they are worth no more tha an UK spec Prius. So any Prius in budget, younger than that, is either going to be an import or have mega miles.

But going by what you have said about your needs, i'd say an Auris hybrid estate would be better than a Prius anyway due to its bigger boot. But as you are interested in a hybrid, might also be worth looking out for a Mitsubishi Outlander hybrid. This is an SUV, has a big boot, but also is a plug in hybrid. Which is a big plus for your 5 mile each way commute, meaning, assuming you have a driveway where a charging point can be fitted, you could well go to and from work on electric power alone. A look on Autotrader shows that there are examples available with reasonable miles (up to 70k) under £12k .

Going back to the Prius, there is also the Prius+ which is a 7 seat MPV version of the Prius. Not very spacious for 7, but the bigger boot when the rear row is folded may make it more suitable for your needs.

Badbusdriver

RE Warranty, Yes I mean the manufacturer's warranty. I'm looking at under 5 years so I get the balance of the Toyota warranty.

I'm not specifically after a hybrid, just that the Prius ticks most of my boxes but the Outlander is worth looking at. I spotted one within my budget with 68,000 on it. Not sure what Mitsubishi reliability is like though. Charging point is no problem.

Prius+, We were thinking of replacing my wife's Verso with one of these, so I test drove one. Now I know an Avensis auto is no ball of fire but the Prius+ was like driving a milk float. I really didn't like it. Beautiful inside, all leather, spacious and loads of bells and whistles but just too sluggish to drive.

Re Avensis, I've found one for a decent price at a Toyota dealer in Manchester. Full Toyota history and still under Toyota warranty. The dealer has offered to deliver it to me. It looks absolutely immaculate in the photos. Am I taking a big risk doing this bearing in mind I'm 200 miles away?.

Toyota Avensis - Need a petrol auto - SLO76
Open the search a bit. I’d favour the following.

Mazda 3 2.0 Skyactiv
Mazda 6 2.0 Skyactiv
Honda Accord 2.0
Honda Civic 1.8
Toyota Auris 1.2T CVT/1.8 Hybrid Estate
Toyota Avensis 1.8 CVT

SLO76

Thanks. I'm actively looking at a couple of these. I've always like the Accord but they're knocking on a bit now. Dealer near me has a Mazda 6 I'll go and have a look at.

Strangely enough I actually like the Avensis, for all the criticism it gets for being bland. Nice and comfortable, leather seats in the business edition and pretty refined, certainly compared to my VW. I don't buy a car to set my pulse racing. Boring and reliable suits me fine. The 5 year warranty is also a big pull factor.

Toyota Avensis - Need a petrol auto - SLO76
Unlikely to ever go wrong. My decade old Avensis never does.
Toyota Avensis - Need a petrol auto - Heidfirst

The 5 year warranty is also a big pull factor.

& the warranty can be extended should you so wish. I believe that the "2 years for the price of 1" offer is still on. Tthe Toyota Extended Warranty also includes Roadside Assistance ~£75 pa on it's own & provided currently by the AA.

Toyota Avensis - Need a petrol auto - catsdad

Re any risk of buying the 200 mile distant Avensis. The main risk is any non-Toyota warranty work arising. For example finding poor previous repairs and needing to return it to the supplying dealer for repair.

You could mitigate this by paying for an independent inspection. Or by going to see it yourself - maybe you could do a deal on the dealer paying your travel costs instead of delivery?

These are relatively rare cars and if you have found a good one you may have to take a calculated risk and buy from a distance.

Toyota Avensis - Need a petrol auto - Falkirk Bairn

Buying a car 200 miles away comes with a risk.

However, distance selling comes with consumer protection - you can hand goods back and get your money back.

The important point is you do not step into the garage at all - you cannot visit, then go home and the following day ask them to deliver & have "distance selling" safeguards,

If it's a Toyota dealer selling,the car and is still under warranty + it meets your requirements then you really have to take your courage in both hands and buy it.

The next one that catches your eye maybe weeks away and even more distant! Either that or up your budget and look to see if there is a car nearer!

Toyota Avensis - Need a petrol auto - bubsqueaker

Honda or Toyota are the best bets...Toyota CVT in the Avensis (multi drive s) is supposed to be good, but costly if it goes wrong. Honda autos post 2010 are more conventional but likely to be cheaper to maintain and will be reliable. Wouldn't touch French or german stuff unless you like spending out on repairs.