What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Renault Captur 1.3 petrol - Oil change at first service - Steveieb

My partners Captur which is fitted with the new 1.3 petrol engine goes in for its first service next week at 8k miles.

The dealer says no oil change required until next year.

She intends keeping the car at least 5years as she has the extended warranty.

The cost of the oil change is £125.

i have advised her to go ahead.

Grateful your views

Renault Captur 1.3 petrol - Oil change at first service - gordonbennet

I too would change the oil, but i'd grab a genuine filter from the parts dept and a 5 litre can of the proper oil if its not stupidly overpriced, then DIY the job and say nothing to the dealer, saving some £65 or more, keep the receipts with the documents.

Renault Captur 1.3 petrol - Oil change at first service - RT

I too would change the oil, but i'd grab a genuine filter from the parts dept and a 5 litre can of the proper oil if its not stupidly overpriced, then DIY the job and say nothing to the dealer, saving some £65 or more, keep the receipts with the documents.

Until I finally got to the point of having to give up DIY car work, that's what I used to do with all my cars - even the company cars as I sometimes bought them at the end of lease.

Now I use VW's Time & Mileage Service schedule (10,000 miles or 1 year) rather than their Flexible schedule (up to 20,000 or 2 years) - it increases the costs but increases peace of mind.

Renault Captur 1.3 petrol - Oil change at first service - Lrac

I am obsessive about oil changes and would change it but you have got me thinking that you could probably buy a vacuum pump and the genuine oil then do it yourself effortlessly leaving the original oil filter in place. without anyone knowing. This would probably be quite a bit cheaper then you have the pump for life. I brought a Pela vacuum pump after reading recommendations on here, haven't used it yet but with all my aches and pains it may not be long before I give up getting under cars.

Edited by Lrac on 29/05/2020 at 19:37

Renault Captur 1.3 petrol - Oil change at first service - paul 1963

Totally agree, change it yourself ...oh and don't forget a new sump plug washer!

Go on someone tell me how many gallons of Gucci finest nano oil the sump on a Captur holds, their £125 quote for an oil change is frankly laughable.

To put this in context, i've just bought 20 litres of Fuchs full synthetic for our various petrol cars for £79, and 20 litres of the best full synth Diesel engine oil Castrol offer for under £100 for my big Toyota.

The company quoting that figure deserves to go out of business, the sooner the better.

Go on someone tell me how many gallons of Gucci finest nano oil the sump on a Captur holds, their £125 quote for an oil change is frankly laughable.

To put this in context, i've just bought 20 litres of Fuchs full synthetic for our various petrol cars for £79, and 20 litres of the best full synth Diesel engine oil Castrol offer for under £100 for my big Toyota.

The company quoting that figure deserves to go out of business, the sooner the better.

Just had a look, a genuine filter is £8.02, sump plug washer is £ 1.

Renault Captur 1.3 petrol - Oil change at first service - brum

Gordonbennet obviously believes a main dealer provides labour, oil filter, sump plug, valeting and courtesy car all free of charge. Not to mention their fixed costs such as dealer obligatory tooling, facilities and training, liabilty insurance, rent, rates, waste disposal costs and administration costs, and more.

Many dealers charge £75 per hour upwards for labour. They will charge an hours labour because of the total time spent on the job by the technician includes total ramp time, checking servicing requirements, getting parts from stores, computer and paperwork. £125 sounds about right for a main dealer, a good independent will charge about £100, maybe less. If you source and supply oil, filter and plug yourself, you may save another £20-£30. Plus you have peace of mind that the correct oil has been used.

It is imperative that the correct spec oil is used, modern engines do not tolerate the wrong oil, with problems showing further on in life. And latest spec oils as used in WLTP compliant engines can be expensive.

Cheapest option is DIY, but you need to know what you are doing, and have the correct tools (filter removal tool, torque wrench etc) skills and knowledge. Plus the space to carry out the job. No comeback if something goes wrong. Not everyone wants to crawl under a car engine and struggle to remove under trays, filters etc.

Plus you have the problem of disposing of old oil. Currently our local council recycling centre is not accepting old engine oil. Even when they did they dont take empty oil containers.

Edited by brum on 29/05/2020 at 21:51

Gordonbennet believes whilst the car is already on the ramp being inspected (first service), it would take a mechanic approx 20 mins to change the oil and filter.

Those glass palaces don't come cheap i suppose, but the day i pay someone £125 to change the oil on a small petrol engined car (especially when the car is already up on the lift) is the day i hobble down the nick hand me licence in and get an Uber app.

Renault Captur 1.3 petrol - Oil change at first service - glidermania

Gordonbennet obviously believes a main dealer provides labour, oil filter, sump plug, valeting and courtesy car all free of charge. Not to mention their fixed costs such as dealer obligatory tooling, facilities and training, liabilty insurance, rent, rates, waste disposal costs and administration costs, and more.

Many dealers charge £75 per hour upwards for labour. They will charge an hours labour because of the total time spent on the job by the technician includes total ramp time, checking servicing requirements, getting parts from stores, computer and paperwork. £125 sounds about right for a main dealer, a good independent will charge about £100, maybe less. If you source and supply oil, filter and plug yourself, you may save another £20-£30. Plus you have peace of mind that the correct oil has been used.

It is imperative that the correct spec oil is used, modern engines do not tolerate the wrong oil, with problems showing further on in life. And latest spec oils as used in WLTP compliant engines can be expensive.

Cheapest option is DIY, but you need to know what you are doing, and have the correct tools (filter removal tool, torque wrench etc) skills and knowledge. Plus the space to carry out the job. No comeback if something goes wrong. Not everyone wants to crawl under a car engine and struggle to remove under trays, filters etc.

Plus you have the problem of disposing of old oil. Currently our local council recycling centre is not accepting old engine oil. Even when they did they dont take empty oil containers.

I tend to agree about the hidden costs although yes, 125 nicker, for an oil change is a lot.

People who complain a lot about the price may do the oil change themselves. Maybe they have spent a sum of money on a decent trolley jack, axle stands, creeper board and tools etc to do the oil change themselves.

Now Im older, I frankly dont have the inclination or desire to crawl under my car, get oiled up, fanny around removing a stubborn filter that might need a fancy tool to get off (they arent all cannisters you can just jab a screwdriver through and wind off), dispose of old carcinogenic old and measure out the exact amount of fresh new oil to pour in.

It's cracking on for 50 quid plus parts cost to get a tradesman round to fix your washing machine, cooker hood, dishwasher etc while your tv is almost certain to be binned without 2nd thought if that goes faulty, 300 quid for a new tv please.

and dontget me started onSky tv subscription!

Renault Captur 1.3 petrol - Oil change at first service - Avant

"My partner's Captur which is fitted with the new 1.3 petrol engine goes in for its first service next week at 8k miles.

The dealer says no oil change required until next year."

That seems strange: without the oil change, what's the point of the service?

I'm an interested party here as SWMBO's A3 convertible (1.5 petrol) will be a year old next month. It'll have done only 6,000 miles. Audi says it needs a service and oil change only every 2 years, but unless anyone thinks I'm being stupid, I intend to have the oil changed in the next couple of months (nothing else). This will probably be a car to keep long-term, so I think an oil change every year is worth it.

The main dealers effectively have us over a barrel (of oil) because one mustn't give them any excuse to quibble if there is ever a warranty claim.

Renault Captur 1.3 petrol - Oil change at first service - mcb100
Renault offer A and B services, if memory serves correctly. A service after 12 months is cabin filter, plus fluid levels, visual checks, etc, whilst at 24 months is the B service which is as above plus oil & filter.
Renault Captur 1.3 petrol - Oil change at first service - Andrew-T

I intend to have the oil changed in the next couple of months (nothing else). This will probably be a car to keep long-term, so I think an oil change every year is worth it.

The main dealers effectively have us over a barrel (of oil) because one mustn't give them any excuse to quibble if there is ever a warranty claim.

I'm sure it's a good idea (but maybe not essential) to insert an extra oil change without involving the dealer or recording it. Technically the correct oil should be used to comply with the warranty, but if it's an 'extra' who is to know ? :-)

Renault Captur 1.3 petrol - Oil change at first service - sammy1

There are a lot of old school opinions on oil changes here and why not! But if the experts at Renault and Audi are saying 2 years then why not especially if the cars mileage is annually low. There can only be a few enthusiasts as demonstrated on here who do their own changes now. I used to do mine years ago but just getting at the filter and having the right tool can be a pain on some cars. Now there is the added problem of removing the undertray on some to get at anything. I wonder if a lot of owners even realise that some newer cars have no sump plug! Unless you really know what you are doing I would not attempt to interfere with a car under warranty and would not waste my time and money on additional oil changes. Oil has been in the ground for thousands of years and does not deteriorate just because its in a car for a year.

Renault Captur 1.3 petrol - Oil change at first service - dan86

There are a lot of old school opinions on oil changes here and why not! But if the experts at Renault and Audi are saying 2 years then why not especially if the cars mileage is annually low. There can only be a few enthusiasts as demonstrated on here who do their own changes now. I used to do mine years ago but just getting at the filter and having the right tool can be a pain on some cars. Now there is the added problem of removing the undertray on some to get at anything. I wonder if a lot of owners even realise that some newer cars have no sump plug! Unless you really know what you are doing I would not attempt to interfere with a car under warranty and would not waste my time and money on additional oil changes. Oil has been in the ground for thousands of years and does not deteriorate just because its in a car for a year.

Modern fully synthetic oil is completely different to the oil form the 70s,

Most in here who's opinion I do respect and trust do still live in the past when it comes to motoring.

Modern oil doesn't degrade in the same fashion and if you're mileage is low but the engine regularly gets up to temperature then I can't see why not to follow the manufacturer's recommendations, if the car does frequent short journeys where it doesn't get up to temperature then a oil chang will possibly be beneficial,

It's your money and your free to do as you please with it.

Renault Captur 1.3 petrol - Oil change at first service - catsdad

A dealer oil change is often expensive for what it is. However given the cost of the car itself I wouldn’t spend the time and effort doing it myself to save a few quid. I do baulk at the dealer cost of things like air and pollen filter changes which really are a few minutes work for me but once you need to get underneath and get dirty then I leave it to the professionals.

Renault Captur 1.3 petrol - Oil change at first service - alan1302

Oil has been in the ground for thousands of years and does not deteriorate just because its in a car for a year.

The oil used is cars is usually synthetic so very different from what is pumped out.

Renault Captur 1.3 petrol - Oil change at first service - Zippy123

Oil has been in the ground for thousands of years and does not deteriorate just because its in a car for a year.

The oil used is cars is usually synthetic so very different from what is pumped out.

Yes but it gets contaminated quickly. Its amazing how quickly it goes from translucent light brown to 'orrible dark brown.

<< The oil used in cars is usually synthetic so very different from what is pumped out.

Yes but it gets contaminated quickly. It's amazing how quickly it goes from translucent light brown to 'orrible dark brown. >>

And oil in a diesel engine will look black after only about 10 miles. A local garage changed oil & filter for me recently - I drove home about half a mile, checked the oil and was amazed to find it was clear, so they must have drained the sump properly, not just sucked out what they could. All black again after one or two shortish journeys.

Renault Captur 1.3 petrol - Oil change at first service - FoxyJukebox

Modern oils can last a long time-but surely if you do a low or a high mileage--an oil and filter change every year is good peace of mind.

So also is checking the old level- an easy task which extraordinarily enough I never see anybody ever doing these days.

An increasing number of models have no engine oil dipstick, relying totally on an electronic sensor in the sump.

I remember searching in vain for the dipstick on my Saab 9-5. Eventually I had to read the manual. It was fixed to the oil filler cap.

Renault Captur 1.3 petrol - Oil change at first service - John F

Our Peugeot 2008 1.2 puretech turbo engine has been treated carefully since new and has done only 3000 miles in seven months. The oil is still honey coloured and looks about the same level, certainly no more than 1mm below the level (the max mark) I observed it to be when new. I have no intention of changing it in November just because it will be a year old. I'll be interested to hear what the dealer says when we eventually go for our post-purchase follow-up appointment.

Our old Focus (>145,000m) has had its oil changed about twelve times. The sump plug and its washer (if it has one - I can't remember) are original. In over 50 yrs of changing oil on old cars I have never felt the need to replace the washer. I can think of no good reason to do so. None have ever leaked. But I always carefully tighten to around the recommended 20 ftlb, which is not a lot - about a quarter of the tightening strength for a wheel nut.

John while I don't disagree with your logic from a common sense standpoint you will break the terms of your warranty if you ignore the oil service interval. Is that worth the risk?

Renault Captur 1.3 petrol - Oil change at first service - John F
John while I don't disagree with your logic from a common sense standpoint you will break the terms of your warranty if you ignore the oil service interval. Is that worth the risk?

I know. Good question. Probably not, although after 3yrs the car will probably have only done fewer than 20,000 miles at this rate.

Our Peugeot 2008 1.2 puretech turbo engine has been treated carefully since new and has done only 3000 miles in seven months. The oil is still honey coloured and looks about the same level, certainly no more than 1mm below the level (the max mark) I observed it to be when new. I have no intention of changing it in November just because it will be a year old. I'll be interested to hear what the dealer says when we eventually go for our post-purchase follow-up appointment.

Our old Focus (>145,000m) has had its oil changed about twelve times. The sump plug and its washer (if it has one - I can't remember) are original. In over 50 yrs of changing oil on old cars I have never felt the need to replace the washer. I can think of no good reason to do so. None have ever leaked. But I always carefully tighten to around the recommended 20 ftlb, which is not a lot - about a quarter of the tightening strength for a wheel nut.

Some sump washers are solid and can be re-used - some are crush washers and you re-use them at your peril

Renault Captur 1.3 petrol - Oil change at first service - bathtub tom

Some sump washers are solid and can be re-used - some are crush washers and you re-use them at your peril

I re-used the copper sump washer on my old Nissan several times by annealing it until someone pointed out it was a crush washer - doh!

<< Some sump washers are solid and can be re-used - some are crush washers and you re-use them at your peril >>

Why ? You just crush them a bit more next time .... :-)

I have a neighbour that is obsessed with parking outside his house., as his wife drives off to work he moves his car about ten feet from his drive to the road then does the same in reverse about 4 hours later then if they go out in her car which they usually do the process is repeated. His car is about 2 years old and does hardly any other mileage. I wouldn't want to buy this car after a few years of this treatment if oil changes were based solely on mileage.

He has ample parking on his drive but another neighbours car literally dumps a puddle of oil everywhere it parks and has done this for about a year. The road sweeper has no effect on this slick. The car swapping ritual is the only way to prevent the road being contaminated,

The sump plug and its washer (if it has one - I can't remember) are original. In over 50 yrs of changing oil on old cars I have never felt the need to replace the washer.

I also reuse copper sump-plug washers, but give them a wrap of PTFE plumber's tape first. Time was when a local Pug dealer offered a special deal of filter, oil and sump washer, but that stopped long ago.

The sump plug and its washer (if it has one - I can't remember) are original. In over 50 yrs of changing oil on old cars I have never felt the need to replace the washer.

I also reuse copper sump-plug washers, but give them a wrap of PTFE plumber's tape first. Time was when a local Pug dealer offered a special deal of filter, oil and sump washer, but that stopped long ago.

My current cars both have a composite washers which I replace but I really do not think it is necessary, like you I always put a bit of PTFE on the plug. Never had the slightest problem in 45 years. I am not very keen on some of the oil filters that have plastic caps though. I had one that had a thread that always felt tight before it was fully seated. If it had been metal I would have simply tightened it without any apprehension.

For the cost of a new washer ( it's really a seal ) why wouldn't you replace it? It's like the whole subject of oil changes I guess ,you pay your money ( or not!) and take your choice .

My opinion is fresh oil can never do any harm.

For the cost of a new washer ( it's really a seal ) why wouldn't you replace it? It's like the whole subject of oil changes I guess ,you pay your money ( or not!) and take your choice .

It's obviously not a question of cost, which is peanuts, but it's easier to find the right oil locally than a washer the right size. Something I would not do is fit a sump plug without one - the 306 I got last year came like that, and I had a heck of a job loosening the plug. Had to get the correct 8mm key !!

Franchised dealer's parts depts. have always* given me a free sump washer when buying an OE filter - it's often in the box ready for the dealer mechanic to use.

* for the last couple of decades anyway

Renault Captur 1.3 petrol - Oil change at first service - barney100

If only keeping for 5 years go with the dealer, don't Renault do a five year warranty anyway? I'd stick with the manufacturer's schedule and it will look good to have a fully stamped service book. When you sell you are more than likely to recoup the bit of extra cash spent.

Renault Captur 1.3 petrol - Oil change at first service - Engineer Andy

My partners Captur which is fitted with the new 1.3 petrol engine goes in for its first service next week at 8k miles.

The dealer says no oil change required until next year.

She intends keeping the car at least 5years as she has the extended warranty.

The cost of the oil change is £125.

i have advised her to go ahead.

Grateful your views

£125 for only an 'oil change'? What are they using - unicorn oil in gold-plated cans?

Far enough if it is a standard 1st year service with all the inspections, testing, etc that a normal service entails.

My Mazda3's first one (at 1 year) included all the other stuff and cost around the same, but 15 years ago.

No the £125 is on top of what was included in the three year service package she paid for in advance.

But remembering HJ S advice we went ahead.

Renault Captur 1.3 petrol - Oil change at first service - f aly

Anymore updates steveieb how has the captur performed over the last month's any reliability issues

Pleased to report that it’s been totally reliable as well as being comfortable and nice to drive. But I’d stick to the 1.3 Turbo engine which it shares with the MB A Class .Very impressive in every way .

Ive been the biggest critic of French cars in the past after suffering so many electrical glitches on my partners last car Peugeot 207 SW but this Captur is simply brilliant . OK it hasn’t the street cred of the CHR or CX3 which were her first choice but being so much cheaper and with the additional five year warranty at £300 I’d totally recommend the Captur.

Renault Captur 1.3 petrol - Oil change at first service - badbusdriver

Pleased to report that it’s been totally reliable as well as being comfortable and nice to drive. But I’d stick to the 1.3 Turbo engine which it shares with the MB A Class .Very impressive in every way .

Ive been the biggest critic of French cars in the past after suffering so many electrical glitches on my partners last car Peugeot 207 SW but this Captur is simply brilliant . OK it hasn’t the street cred of the CHR or CX3 which were her first choice but being so much cheaper and with the additional five year warranty at £300 I’d totally recommend the Captur.

In Decembers issue of Car magazine, there was the final report after 6 months with a Clio which had the same engine as your Captur (though it was a DCT). Its keeper really liked it, saying it felt 'special' compared to other cars of its size and price, though he couldn't put his finger on exactly why. As far as I recall, there was no problems or reliability issues, but as I said, it was only 6 months.

Renault Captur 1.3 petrol - Oil change at first service - brum

I note that new Renaults now come with a 5 year, 100,000 mile warranty. Although I too have a longstanding prejudiced view against French cars, I must say that the high spec Renault Kadjar we hired 3 years ago had the most comfortable front seats I've ever experienced in a car. Lane departure warning system that subtly imitated running over cats eyes through the L/R speakers was also something that I warmed to.

Might even consider one in the future.

We are keeping our fingers crossed after we heard from a friend with a Kadjar who tried to reject her car after successive attempts to fix the infotainment system failed . She eventually had to settle for a loan car for six weeks to allow the technicians chance to couple up with Renault HQ for a software update.

I heard that these units are failing at such a rate that our dealer keeps one in stock but at over £1000 each they are more reluctant to change them, perhaps because HQ are closely scrutinising the warranty claims in view of the numbers involved.

Our car the Red edition has 55 profile tyres which gives one of the best rides I have experienced in a car of this class.

So for £16 k with three years servicing and five years warranty we are completely satisfied. And that’s coming from an ex Renault owner who vowed never to buy another one after breaking down three times on the way to Devon and having a minor fire on the way back !

Renault Captur 1.3 petrol - Oil change at first service - Alby Back
Well, I think this might initiate some coughing and spluttering, but the Qashqai we've owned for 12 of its 13 years on the road has been utterly faultless. Not bad for a Megane on stilts eh? Oh, and the other Qashqai we had that I used for work over 80,000 miles was equally uneventful. A boring car, but totally reliable. The Espace however, well, that was the stuff of nightmares.

You guessed Alby mine was an Espace !

Renault Captur 1.3 petrol - Oil change at first service - Alby Back
I find it very difficult to talk about Steve, perhaps we could form a support group?
;-)

Edited by Alby Back on 08/01/2021 at 20:04

Renault Captur 1.3 petrol - Oil change at first service - Avant

The original Espaces were fine before Renault's catastrophic drop in build quality which happened about 2000.

I had seven company-owned Renaults in a row, the first in 1980 and the last in 1998: all did high mileages and all were reliable. By the time we had the Espace (the 5th of the 7) we had four children, and it was ideal. 125,000 miles and never missed a beat apart from a forgivable need for a head gasket at somewhere over 100,000 miles.

It's good that by the sound of Steve's Captur things are good again.

But I do absolutely understand that if you've had a really bad one, you don't want to go there again. SWMBO wouldn't be seen dead in a Fiat, even though this year is excatly 40 years after her first and last Fiat, which let her down three times in its first and only year with us. After that she stopped sharing a school run and got a Renault 5 which was great.

SWMBO wouldn't be seen dead in a Fiat, even though this year is excatly 40 years after her first and last Fiat, which let her down three times in its first and only year with us.

It's sad hearing about unshakable and perhaps irrational prejudices. I guess we all have some somewhere, but I prefer a '3 Strikes before you're out' algorithm. In the days you mention, Avant, there were plenty of Friday cars, so it was quite easy to be unlucky. These days one has to be really unlucky, and buyers may be excessively swayed by league tables telling them Maker A is only 98.7% reliable while B is 99.1%. The real probability is that either car will be OK, so get the one you prefer - for whatever reason.

These prejudices are strengthened by the feedback coming back from overseas markets, Andrew , such as the US where the lemon laws which strengthen consumer protection have virtually eliminated any French or Italian cars from the Market. And where the famous term Fix it again Tony comes from.

Same thing in Australia where the saying goes “Travel into the outback in a LR but if you want to make it back make sure it’s a Toyota.

Many of us have worked in the Middle East where the locals soon reject a vehicle that lets them down and have in the past abandoned them and leave them at the side of the road. Servicing has been pretty patchy too so the locals soon realised that Japanese is the way to go for utility vehicles but maybe German for prestige in urban areas.

These prejudices are strengthened by the feedback coming back from overseas markets, Andrew ,

I take your point, Steve, but conditions in the countries you mention are rather different from the UK, where you might need to venture into darkest Sutherland or somewhere to experience any serious difficulty. SWMBO and I drove a Morris 1100 around the western States and the Canadian Rockies back in the 60s, so I have experienced isolation, sometimes in bear country. I once went off an embanked dirt road in a dust cloud and might have been in deep trouble if a tow-truck had not happened along and dragged us out without asking for a backhander.

League tables (of all sorts) should be interpreted to suit the enquirer's circumstances.

Renault Captur 1.3 petrol - Oil change at first service - edlithgow

Never had a new car and never likely to, but if I did, and I planned on keeping it long term, I would do an early oil change or two, probably a lot earlier than 8k and certainly earlier than 16k, if that is what is implied by the above.

I suppose its just possible I might have a new or rebuilt engine, though, where the same reasoning would apply.

My reason would be to get rid of the running-in debris. The stuff you can see will be trapped by the filter, but I'm assuming (havn't looked for any data on this) there will be a corresponding initial peak of microscopic (say sub 50 microns) debris which will not be trapped by the filter and will promote further wear.

Since I’d be doing short initial OCI’s, I wouldn’t have any reason to use “proper” synthetic oil, though I wouldn’t go to any great lengths not to.

5 years isn’t really long term though, and on that timescale the only benefits are whatever satisfaction comes from mechanical altruism.

Edited by edlithgow on 09/01/2021 at 14:30