What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Bargain buys - SLO76
Just flicking through Autotrader as I often do and it never ceases to amaze me what you can get for less than fifteen hundred quid. Obviously you can’t buy a used car without inspecting it but here’s a few highlights from this mornings boredom.

I just found a great car on Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20200504917...1

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20200218745...8

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20200504917...7

Yeah, I know but isn’t it glorious for the money? Buy only if you can afford to bin it if it goes wrong.

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20200227779...2

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20200322867...7

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20200410891...3

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20200505919...0

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20200311827...6

Tempted by the Primera myself, I’ve owned one and I’ve flogged a few. Great cars these in their day and quite retro cool today.

Edited by SLO76 on 06/05/2020 at 11:00

Bargain buys - groaver

Good finds.

That Zafira might be a fire sale. ;-)

Edited by groaver on 06/05/2020 at 11:07

Bargain buys - John F

Much as I enjoy the contributions from SLO76.................?spam alert?

Bargain buys - SLO76

Much as I enjoy the contributions from SLO76.................?spam alert?

Strange post John... you on the vino? These aren’t cars I’m selling, they’re from all over the country for starters. I hung up my trade plates a while back. But many of them would be typical stock for me, Jag excluded.

Edited by SLO76 on 06/05/2020 at 11:16

Bargain buys - Steveieb
You mention inspection SLO but in order to save my son from a possible disaster in buying a 2003 RAnge Rover TD6 I tried our indie who refused and a friend who is an owner. Both said waste of time.
Eventually found an indie who owns one of these who has agreed to carry out the inspection for a fee. Great.
But at times like these it would be useful to contact GB who is local to the garage and may know of their reputation.
Is there any way of contacting him ?
Cheers
Bargain buys - pd

With the Jag, I know it is low mileage but for that money I'd much prefer a later (2002 on) one with more miles.

Better engine, much better gearbox, handles and rides better, nicer interior....just a lot better and less common faults.

Bargain buys - SLO76

With the Jag, I know it is low mileage but for that money I'd much prefer a later (2002 on) one with more miles.

Better engine, much better gearbox, handles and rides better, nicer interior....just a lot better and less common faults.

Agree, but you can only buy what’s on sale and condition and history matter more. This old girl looks well kept.
Bargain buys - SLO76
You mention inspection SLO but in order to save my son from a possible disaster in buying a 2003 RAnge Rover TD6 I tried our indie who refused and a friend who is an owner. Both said waste of time. Eventually found an indie who owns one of these who has agreed to carry out the inspection for a fee. Great. But at times like these it would be useful to contact GB who is local to the garage and may know of their reputation. Is there any way of contacting him ? Cheers

I’ve no contact details myself but I can save your son from a pretty much guaranteed disaster and that’s without even viewing the car. Three words for you - don’t buy it. If he absolutely must have a large cheap SUV (I still wouldn’t advise it) then get something newer and Japanese.
Bargain buys - Avant

"Much as I enjoy the contributions from SLO76.................?spam alert?"

Have no fear John: SLO has been doing this for some time, and it's extremely helpful, particularly to a lot of punters who look in (without necessarily posting anything) in search of a cheap car and advice on how to find one that works.

Everyone - remember that Autotrader isn't the only source of used cars: click on 'cars for sale' at the top of the page on this site for more.

Edited by Avant on 06/05/2020 at 12:44

Bargain buys - John F

"Much as I enjoy the contributions from SLO76.................?spam alert?"

Have no fear John: SLO has been doing this for some time,

It was indeed tongue in cheek - and yes, I am on the vino.....sun is now well past the yardarm. SLO is welcome to any commission from A'''''''''''r he can get - presumably zero.

Bargain buys - Steveieb

Thanks SLO for those three words about the RR.

Im hoping my son is so busy at work he won’t get time to go and see the car. But how on earth do you get the message across without interfering.

The car is for sale in GB s home town with a motor company named after the town.

Cheers

Bargain buys - Metropolis.
If it’s this one www.intaka.co.uk/used-cars/search-results?make=LAN...s

Avoid, there are good L322s about but not this one. MOT history shows serious corrosion and who knows how that has been repaired by the 3rd owner. The GM gearbox is a weak point, and in general the BMW electronics on these are woeful mych like the E65, far better to save up for a Ford version with the 3.6TDV8.

A good buyers guide here, youtu.be/gl51reRXxgE

Sorry not to use a HJ link, but despite me correcting the information in a forum post the L322 future classic is still wrong in too many areas, as are the reviews for the Discovery 2, but now I’m going off on a tangent. Watch the YouTube link it’s very informative warts and all
Bargain buys - Steveieb

Brilliant Metropolis.

Thats the one indeed and when I checked the MOT history I noticed the severe corrosion.

Now I have the job of getting my son to accept that All that glitters is not gold !

Cheers

Bargain buys - gordonbennet

I have no knowledge of the company selling the TD6 in the above link, sorry.

Chap i know had a really nice TD6, he liked it a lot but it didn't have much grunt considering he never saw better than 18mpg, and it had several expensive failures including the suspension, even fixed at an indy he regularly spent 4 figure sums to keep the thing going.

L322 is a lovely car, for me it would have to be the V8 Diesel (which has an addictive soundtrack), but i prefer simpler Japanese designs of the era which are not as plush or as competent on road but prove durable and were designed to be maintained reasonably easily.

Interesting video that from Harry's garage, almost no one realises just how heavy LR's and Disco 3's of the era are, all weighing around 2.7 tons, as i recall RR's are slightly lighter than the 2.7 tons of Disco 3, ISTR 2.5 tons being on the export documents for RR's but by the time you've got people and the usual rubbish we all carry inside 2.7+ they will be, and vehicles weighing that much are never going to be good on fuel unless cruising at constant sensible speeds.

Bargain buys - Sulphur Man

I was loaned an early 90s Primera ages ago, and was amazed at the handling. Brilliant car. I'd have that from the list.

This caught my eye - slightly over £1500 but if your after a good practical auto for little money, hard to beat. https://www.gumtree.com/p/honda/honda-civic-auto-1.6-vtec-5-door-full-service-history/1366195934

Bargain buys - Steveieb

Not to worry GB . I was prompted by Metroplis to carry out an MOT check on the car which revealed serious rusting which needed to be repaired. The car company is named after your home town !

So the car is off my sons list and he is now focusing on an Amerok !

Has anyone got any guidance on the VW Amerok please ?

Bargain buys - gordonbennet

So the car is off my sons list and he is now focusing on an Amerok !

Has anyone got any guidance on the VW Amerok please ?

phew well played, wipes brow, guiding sons where cars are concerned is a full time job :-)

I know nothing about Amaroks save the 2.0 litre Diesel is possibly one that suffered balance shaft issues in other models, but that's only from my memory and might be completely wrong.

I'm a fan of picks ups, not least for the reasonable commercial VED rates and dual cabs with 4x4 qualify as dual purpose vehicles so benefit from car speed limits (not sure if Amarok is light enough so please check), only slight fly in the ointment is insurance companies don't usually allow driving other's cars on third party cover should that be an issue.

Look out for chassis rust on 4x4's as ladder chassis generally arn't well painted, might be interesting to see if VW took more care over that aspect, most of them look to be in decent nick generally and surprisingly rapid considering the smallish engine.

One pick up off my list is the 3.2 5 pot Ford Ranger, apparently at oil change time you have to work quickly because if the sump is drained for more than (i think) 15 minutes the variable speed (eh?) oil pump can't self prime, saw this on the Aussie bloke's youtube channel, never heard anything so ridiculous on a commercial vehicle which are supposed by design to be rough tough and durable, not as fragile as a formula race car.

The thing to remember with picks ups is that usually they are selectable 4WD, being RWD for normal road use, and lighter at the back end, this means the vehicle can be tail happy and tyre choice is doubly important, the Hilux we had sported a limited slip rear diff now you might think this would aid wet handling but the opposiite was the case, the limited slip wasn't far off a locked diff in friction required to 'slip' so with the live rear axle where a normal diff would allow one wheel to spin with the other keeping the vehicle on course, with that Hilux a tail slide was increadibly easy to provoke as both wheels would spin, this proved to be the case especially on the OE Pirelli tyres which i removed at 1000 miles and sold on, the replacement General UHP (now superceeded) proved brilliant for wet grip and Vredestein Wintracs on seperate wheels proved unshakeable on winter roads.

Not trying to put you off pick ups, just they are different beasts to simialr sized 4WD like RR and Landcruisers which are normally full time 4WD and usually more balanced weight front to rear.

One other thing, try and find a vehicle with heated mirrors, you depend on the mirrors with a pick up and nothing worse than in winter with condensation on them suddenly blinding your rear vision early morning.

Edited by gordonbennet on 07/05/2020 at 08:44

Bargain buys - Steveieb

Absolutely brilliant finds SLO.

What search criteria did you use ?

Cheers

Bargain buys - SLO76

Absolutely brilliant finds SLO.

What search criteria did you use ?

Cheers

I set for private sale and in this case less than 80,000 miles though typically I’m not worried about mileage on a well maintained car. I go for petrol but include automatic gearboxes as many a well looked after low mileage pensioner chariot is so equipped.