What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Car care - Your most obsessional lock-down task so far? - John F

Yesterday I removed the TR7's cam cover and spent much of the sunny afternoon removing the carbon deposited on the inside surface from the breather pipe. Last time it was removed was in 1987 at 41,100 miles to check the valve clearances. Thankfully, no adjustment was required as it would have needed the camshaft removing and swapping shims around. Today I will check the clearances to see if they have changed in the intervening 30,000 miles.

Edited by John F on 08/04/2020 at 09:16

Car care - Your most obsessional lock-down task so far? - bathtub tom

I'm polishing the car, using various old stuff. Thought i might wax it after, but the only wax I can find has dried up.

Car care - Your most obsessional lock-down task so far? - FoxyJukebox

Assuming it is in a tin-try dripping boiling water over it?

Car care - Your most obsessional lock-down task so far? - bathtub tom

Assuming it is in a tin-try dripping boiling water over it?

Ha-ha. How old do you think I am? It's in a plastic squeezy bottle.

Car care - Your most obsessional lock-down task so far? - Andrew-T

Recently I have satisfied one niggle by getting both cars back on their original MoT renewal dates. Last year I missed the 12-year-old's date by 2 months, and corrected that last week. The 25-year-old had missed several years while on SORN, so that celebrated its anniversary at New Year.

Other than that, I may take the pressure washer to the underneath of one of them if the urge takes hold. No serious dismantling at my age, but I did a bit of polishing yesterday .....

Edited by Andrew-T on 08/04/2020 at 09:35

Car care - Your most obsessional lock-down task so far? - thunderbird

Not touched either other than buying fuel and driving to the supermarket twice a week plus one trip a week to the MIL's alternating which car we use. That is an 80 mile round trip so that will keep both cars nicely charged.

Fabia is due a service later this month (included with purchase) but it has already been cancelled by the garage.

Pulsar was serviced late last month so good for another year.

Car care - Your most obsessional lock-down task so far? - elekie&a/c doctor
I have an old E46 BMW cabrio that has had an annoying car dealer sticker at the top of the rear glass window ,stuck over the hrw elements . Decided to remove it , but agonised it may take the heated elements with it . Fortunately came off in one hit without any issues . I can now look behind me with out an interrupted view .

Residual adhesive from old window stickers usually comes off with white spirit, without harming screen heaters.

Car care - Your most obsessional lock-down task so far? - Senexdriver

I’m planning to re-proof the hood of my wife’s convertible. It’s the ideal day - warm but not too warm and still so the spray won’t go anywhere it shouldn’t. The car was new almost 3 years ago and I read that the hood should be re-proofed every year. Well I bought the re-proofer (Gyeon Fabric Coat) 2 years ago at substantial cost if I remember rightly, but am only now getting around to applying it. So far I’ve vacuumed and washed the hood so it’s drying now while I sneak a bit of lunch. When I’ve finished I’ll mask up the glass and bodywork and give this hideously expensive spray a try.

Not touched either other than buying fuel and driving to the supermarket twice a week plus one trip a week to the MIL's alternating which car we use. That is an 80 mile round trip ......

Have you, er, seen or heard (I believe it's been on the wireless) the news lately?

Car care - Your most obsessional lock-down task so far? - thunderbird

Not touched either other than buying fuel and driving to the supermarket twice a week plus one trip a week to the MIL's alternating which car we use. That is an 80 mile round trip ......

Have you, er, seen or heard (I believe it's been on the wireless) the news lately?

Have indeed seen the news and we are following the government restrictions:

Exercise - we are going out once a day trying to do about 4 miles on average.

Shopping - we go twice a week ensuring that we have enough to avoid the occational trip to the shops for bits we have forgotten. On one of the shopping trips we get the MIL's shopping.

Providing care for a vulnerable person - MIL is 93 and lives alone. Wife is her only relative other than the MIL's brother who is 87 and not exactly capable of caring for an additional person. She has refused help in the past from the local authority, they stopped visiting her 3 years ago when she told them to "F" off. Without the wifes weekly visit she would have no food, no clean bedding and towels (she does her own cloths), no one to order her prescriptions, no one to check on her various health issues and no food. She has no savings or property thus could only go into a local authority care home and there are very few of those. She was placed in a care home 4 years ago to get over a minor operation and after 3 weeks of refusing to eat the "muck" they fed her they sent her home, it very nearly killed her, she was 4 1/2 stone when the wife weighed her. Wife complained to the home and all they could say was it was her mothers decision not to eat.

We are following the guidelines to the letter.

If the Police want something to do they should be stopping the idiots racing on the bypass in their f***ing Range Rovers, Ibiza's, Focus's etc. Don't think theirs is "essential".

Car care - Your most obsessional lock-down task so far? - concrete

The cars are clean. The caravan roof is next. The garden is neat and tidy, The seeds are planted and arranged in the greenhouse. The allotment is now tidy and ready to be turned over ready for planting out. Decorating next. Deep joy!!!! There is a certain sense of satisfaction in working through the list SWMBO has prepared. Better than sitting around looking at it. Also seem to eating better with the extra time in the house now shopping is verboten! Only a matter of time before I will be actually seeking out jobs to do. Keep on keeping on chaps.

Cheers Concrete

SWMBO and I are 80 and we have had two visits from daughter who lives 25 miles away by M'way, bringing us moderate quantities of groceries and stopping for an hour's chat. I don't see that this is a serious breach of guidelines - and TBH, if anyone does, tough. We are well distanced from any neighbours and have off-road parking. I go on foot for the daily paper and twice-weekly milk supplies.

we'd be quite happy to rely on Ocado deliveries, but that is a non-starter, with 3-week advance notice.

Car care - Your most obsessional lock-down task so far? - alan1302

SWMBO and I are 80 and we have had two visits from daughter who lives 25 miles away by M'way, bringing us moderate quantities of groceries and stopping for an hour's chat. I don't see that this is a serious breach of guidelines - and TBH, if anyone does, tough.

It's not in breach of any guidelines...that's the kind of travel you can do

Car care - Your most obsessional lock-down task so far? - Lrac

Furlough till 27/6

wheels off wife's car, arches and wheels jet washed and scrubbed. Brakes deglazed and dusted. done over the course of 2 days. Sills to be scrubbed and polished when everything stops aching. Car was washed polished and hoovered last week. Will give my car the same treatment starting next week. Will probably have a clean up around the engine bays as well.

Got a folding bike to dismantle and polish when not pampering the cars.

Sea within walking distance for early morning stroll, rest of the day spent listening to BBC i player whilst drinking coffee and shooting a coke can around the garden with an air rifle.

I do start to panic when I hear the wife say "I know what we can do today"

Car care - Your most obsessional lock-down task so far? - dadbif
Realigning the twin tail pipes on my mk1 mx5, there was a 15mm disparity between the outlets, now, after 2.5 hours, slackening new catalyst bolts and swapping hangers the difference is 2mm. Will measure again after next drive. Obsessive?
Car care - Your most obsessional lock-down task so far? - gordonbennet

Still working, but found time 2 weeks ago to swap the winter wheels to summer set on the Forester, also serviced the brakes and with assistance of the fair lady changed the fluid too.

Rear diff oil to swap out and transmission filter (external, similar in looks but not operation to engine oil filter) to change, and an exhaust join gasket needs changing, might do those jobs over the next few days, and change a sumpful of autobox oil while i'm at it.

There still some salt residue on the roads so won't be hosing down and rustproofing until the spring rains have done their job and all the salt has gone.

Car noticeably more economical on the new summer tyres, quieter too.

Edited by gordonbennet on 08/04/2020 at 18:53

Car care - Your most obsessional lock-down task so far? - focussed

No vehicle related work today, ongoing work on making sense of a cheap wood planer/thicknesser bought nine years ago in France that I then couldn't get to produce either the finish or the required dimension of the wood put through it. Made in you-know-where to east of the middle east!

Having sharpened the blades and gone through the geometry and adjustment of the thing it now produces an acceptable output, doing approximately what it says it says it's doing on it's dials, so shoved some of our own sawn and seasoned douglas fir and cedar through it.to make a protective cover for my granite surface table.

OH alerted me to a series of large brown patches on our largest so-called lawn - so is it leatherjackets, cockchafer grubs, some sort of fungus, b**** (lady) fox or deer peeing on it? I've no idea! But I've got plenty of time on my hands to think about it!

Edited by focussed on 08/04/2020 at 21:54

Car care - Your most obsessional lock-down task so far? - Random

Obsessed about taking the dog for a walk.

Car care - Your most obsessional lock-down task so far? - Big John

Patio and cars jet washed, shelves I've been meaning to do for ages installed - next decorating. Actually enjoying our exercise walk everyday and discovering locations near where I live I didn't know existed! - I miss my normal form of excercise (swimming) but will keep up the walking in addition after this madness is over.

One thing is for certain I want to get any planned jobs done as hopefully when this situation is over I want to be over the hills and far away (apt Teletubdies quote)

Edited by Big John on 08/04/2020 at 23:25

TR7 valve clearances - seven of the eight are equal to or within one thou of 30,000 miles ago, one was three thou less. All acceptable, all less than the eight thou (inlet) and eighteen thou (exhaust). Cleaned the interior of the petrol cap filler area of the 14yr old Audi yesterday. Noticed for the first time the instruction for exactly where to put the cap when refueling. Achtung!

Car care - Your most obsessional lock-down task so far? - SLO76
I’m suffering from extreme boredom. Hardly any car buying enquiries on the forum of late and my own two cars are stubbornly reliable. Both have of course been polished and hoovered to death but aside from needing a couple of tyres on the Toyota I have no pending jobs. I wish I had an old classic to pamper.
Car care - Your most obsessional lock-down task so far? - Avant

Sorry to hear that but glad you're still with us, SLO. We're lucky: although all the things that SWMBO and I do voluntarily are shut, the work we do in semi-retirement in from home anyway and carries on. Huge sympathies for those who should be working but can't.

If I get really bored, I'll try again to teach myself to type properly - something I should have done 50 years ago.

But a very happy Easter to everyone.. Stay optimistic - we'll come out the other side of this.

Will sometime this year need to update Fabia and Picasso in due course SLO76. Just for a starter do Fabia MK2/Roomsters have the troublesome DSG gearbox?

No chance of boredom here. Lots to do in the garden, revamping and tidying - very lucky to have all this to do. Plenty of books I've yet to read.

Not yet polished cars.

Car care - Your most obsessional lock-down task so far? - SLO76

Will sometime this year need to update Fabia and Picasso in due course SLO76. Just for a starter do Fabia MK2/Roomsters have the troublesome DSG gearbox?

No chance of boredom here. Lots to do in the garden, revamping and tidying - very lucky to have all this to do. Plenty of books I've yet to read.

Not yet polished cars.

I believe the early 1.6 petrol used a torque converter box but all the later cars use the DSG. If you want a reliable auto I’d go Mazda, Honda or Toyota but I’d avoid any automated manuals such as Honda’s I shift and Toyota’s MMT. Even the Japs couldn’t make it work right.

Looks like one car eliminated SLO - thanks. List of requirements posted after restrictions have been lifted.