What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Land Rover Discovery Sport - Discovery Sport needs open heart surgery already - Cheesle Weezle

My 2015 plate Discovery sport flashed up engine light issues on the dash so was booked into main dealer for them to check it out (18 months of warranty remaining). They phone me up and inform me my 24k motor I'd only had for 6 months NEEDS A NEW GEARBOX (sorry for shouting). They were extremely blasé about the whole thing where I on the other hand was completely gutted. Ok so it will be fixed under warranty I asked if the gearbox will be replace with a new one or a reconditioned one, they claimed it will be a new one but I'm just wonder if there's anything I need to do like go and see the new gearbox or should I just go with the flow and leave them to it without causing a fuss? Any advise greatly received.
Thanks for reading!

Land Rover Discovery Sport - Discovery Sport needs open heart surgery already - SLO76
Assuming it’s a Land Rover warranty then no fear it’ll definitely be a new manufacturer supplied gearbox. Sadly all too common with this rather notoriously unreliable brand I’m afraid, I won’t recommend running one without a full manufacturer warranty. Once it’s up, extend it or sell it.
Land Rover Discovery Sport - Discovery Sport needs open heart surgery already - daveyjp

I'm always amazed by people who buy Land Rovers/Range Rovers and are then surprised when they suffer problems All those reliability surveys aren't made up.

Brother in law has one, just over three years old, four figure sum quote to fix a problem. Friend has one, three half years old, found out the adblue pipework has a leak 'somewhere'. Currently investigating where and what damage the leaking fluid may have done as they don't know how long it has been leaking.

OP assuming this is a diesel 25k miles over 5 years probably won't have done it any good whatsoever.

Land Rover Discovery Sport - Discovery Sport needs open heart surgery already - badbusdriver

Any advise greatly received.

Once the work has been done, get rid of the car and replace it with something not well known as being amongst the least reliable cars you can buy at any price!.

Land Rover Discovery Sport - Discovery Sport needs open heart surgery already - SLO76
The problem with JLR is that every recent owner has been thinking short term. BMW only wanted the firms 4wd transmission technology then flogged it to Ford who in typical American fashion let the bean counters rule with an eye only to year to year profits and then TATA who bought it and made no sercret that their aim was to turn the firm around and repackage it for sale to another automaker as a profitable premium brand. None of them were thinking longterm and none of them cared about reliability and customer loyalty. Today they make cars filled with showroom appeal and badge snob appeal yet underneath they’re badly underdeveloped. I wouldn’t touch one and I say this as a longtime Jaguar fan.
Land Rover Discovery Sport - Discovery Sport needs open heart surgery already - pd

Well, JLR won't have made the gearbox. The same gearbox will be in lots of other brands including many "reliable" ones. So, the question is whether the failure is down to something Land Rover have specifically done with it or just a one off failure due to the gearbox manufacturer.

Land Rover Discovery Sport - Discovery Sport needs open heart surgery already - madf

"Transmissions for the Discovery Sport are manufactured by ZF at their Gray Court, South Carolina facility, and by Getrag Ford Transmissions at their Cologne, Germany plant.[22] Four wheel drive components are manufactured by Haldex in Landskrona, Sweden or by GKN in Köping, Sweden and Birmingham, United Kingdom.[17]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land_Rover_Discovery_Sport#Transmission