what would you choose? - Markmh

hi

im looking for advice on what car to go with next and i think you guts probably know more than me.

i do around 16-20k miles per year. up and down the m6 so mostly moving but some start/stop traffic. im thinking a diesel would give me better mpg than the petrol ive got so would save on fuel costs. I dont really want to go over £8500 which will be financed through savings/loan.

currently i have a st-line 1ltr ecoboost 2018 focus which is leased and goes back in april 2020. im getting 43.1mpg over 28k miles so far.

instead of leasing im thinking of buying to save money in the long term after ive paid off the finance.

reliability is important i travel around to see family and dont want to be stuck on a motorway with 2 young children cos the cars packed up.

so after looking around im thinking of the following with no more than 50k miles

2015 1.5 mondeo

2015 passat se 1.6 tdi

2015 focus 1.5 zetec

2015 1.6 golf match

any advice on these cars as in whats going to do better long term or if ive missed anything then let me know

what would you choose? - nellyjak

I would make the point that if reliability is important to you then I would consider adding the likes of Toyota and Honda to your search criteria.

what would you choose? - galileo

I would make the point that if reliability is important to you then I would consider adding the likes of Toyota and Honda to your search criteria.

And Kia/Hyundai, both very reliable according to recent surveys and possible manufacturer's warranty on a Kia

what would you choose? - badbusdriver

Yes, you've missed the best car for your needs and budget, the Honda Civic DTEC. Very efficient, reliable, spacious, refined and comfortable. £8.5k is enough to get you into a 2016 model like this one on Autotrader,

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20191011321...1

Choose the SE over S as this has cruise control.

what would you choose? - Markmh

hi

i hadnt considered a civic as im not sure about the looks of it. i guess for reliability it should be ok i will have a closer look.

i had looked at hyundai maybe the i40 with its space but im not sure about the infotainment system it looks a bit cheap compared to the ford/vw system.

mark

what would you choose? - oldroverboy.

hi

i hadnt considered a civic as im not sure about the looks of it. i guess for reliability it should be ok i will have a closer look.

i had looked at hyundai maybe the i40 with its space but im not sure about the infotainment system it looks a bit cheap compared to the ford/vw system.

mark

i40 beware of clutch issues

what would you choose? - badbusdriver

i hadnt considered a civic as im not sure about the looks of it.

Admittedly the looks of the Civic are a bit divisive (i like them), but at least it looks like the whole car was designed by one person (unlike the current version!). That is what i'd be going for with your requirements (reliability first) and budget for a diesel (certainly wouldn't be looking at anything with the VAG 1.6 diesel). BTW, the Civic is also available as an estate with a truly huge amount of boot space.

If it had to be petrol, i'd be looking at the Toyota Auris 1.2t (thinking again about your priority of reliability), and possibly a SEAT Leon 1.4TSI.

what would you choose? - SLO76
By far the most reliable and also the best on fuel would be the Civic 1.6 DTEC. Practical, well made and easy to sell on again even with heavy miles up, it’s what I’d pick here.