What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda Civic - Car won’t start - Apollo23
Hi everyone. My car was working earlier today and then I stopped for some errands. When I got back to it, it wouldn’t start. I’m in Manchester and it’s been heavy rain all day. Could it be this?

The radio, windows etc were working so battery isn’t totally dead. Ignition was turning over too.

I don’t know much about cars but know it could be spark plugs or battery. Is there a chance it will start when it dries out? At least until I get whatever the underlying problem fixed
Honda Civic - Car won’t start - daveyjp
Don't assume that because a few low powered electrical items work the battery is OK.

Voltage can be fine, but Cold Cranking Amps may not be. You need good CCA to start the car. The CCA is usually stamped on the battery and it can be tested.

My dad has just been away for a few days, drove 3 hours, stopped for lunch and when they tried to start the car it wouldn't . Closing windows was also sluggish. Called AA and the battery was goosed. His first breakdown on his 5 year old Jazz. New battery and all is good.
Honda Civic - Car won’t start - focussed

Ok - you've got a Honda Civic. In order to try to help you we need to know a few basic things about your Civic. Important things like -

What year it is

What model of Civic

What size of engine

How many miles has it done

When was it last serviced and by whom

Any previous problems.

Edited by focussed on 30/07/2019 at 01:36

Honda Civic - Car won’t start - focussed

5 days, no reply - Sometimes I wonder why I bother!

Honda Civic - Car won’t start - paul robert watson

I don't know if this will help,most people in your position think battery,starter motor.But on

a Honda I presume with cruise control the switch on the clutch pedal has a plastic operator

which after a five year or more falls off,It looks like a white button with a pointed spike which

keeps it in place until it breaks.You can buy one on line for about 50p.but without this the

car won't start.You can short out the switch,only 2 connections to prove.Hope this helps I've

never had a car with cruise before.

Honda Civic - Car won’t start - brian dennis Phillips

Same start problem with my Honda Civic 1593cc 1993 50k miles from new one owner.. May run for days or weeks with no problem, but then fails to start problem occurs. I read somewhere that there is no specific remedy for Hondas having this problem. My only remedy is that when engine fails to start, wait about a minute then sharply depress the accelerator pedal fully down about 4 times with ignition OFF- then start in normal way.. Other times opening and closing the petrol filler cap to release any air vacuum pressure build up sometimes may also help. .

Honda Civic - Car won’t start - Sprice

I think this era of Honda used an "igniter" as part of the distributor, which was prone to failure resulting in poor running or non starting, check here.

Honda Civic - Car won’t start - Bolt

I think this era of Honda used an "igniter" as part of the distributor, which was prone to failure resulting in poor running or non starting, check here.

Yes screwed to the distributor, they can and do prevent starting, then they work ok for a while, then do it again, not certain of cost but one I replaced years ago was £25 and as far as I know still running well

Honda Civic - Car won’t start - elekie&a/c doctor
As above , igniter or ignition coil , both in the distributor , as common suspects . I would also look at the efi fuel pump relay . Dry solder joints on the pcb can cause intermittent start issues .