What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus - Arnold Clark Warranty - fault with car - Claire Mack

Hi, we purchased a 64 plate Ford Focus with Arnold Clark just over three months ago., did not pay for extended warranty and Arnold Clark does 2 months as standard.

Yesterday the car would not go into gear, we asked a friend who is a mechanic to take a look and he says the fault is the clutch slave cylinder.

I have looked online and under the sale of goods act any cars under 6 months of purchase the dealer should repair as onus is on them to say fault was not there when purchased.

Can I ask if you think that this fault would be covered by this or be seen as wear and tear and it anyone has had any dealing with Arnold clark regading the 6 months and warranty? Thanks in advance

Ford Focus - Arnold Clark Warranty - fault with car - RaineMan

No idea actually. My current car came with a three month warranty and making a claim was a nightmare. Once the warranty expired I doubt I would have got anywhere with them!

If you are otherwise happy with the car a slave cylinder is not that expensive. Could your mechanic friend fit it?

Edited by RaineMan on 24/06/2019 at 20:52

Ford Focus - Arnold Clark Warranty - fault with car - Big John

https://www.theaa.com/car-buying/legal-rights

Ford Focus - Arnold Clark Warranty - fault with car - catsdad
Two month warranties and the like are a smokescreen. If its a cylinder its not wear and tear. If it were the clutch itself then you would be less likely to have a right of repair but your rights are clear as per Big John's link.

So I suggest you go back to AC and seek a repair at their expense. A big company like them will face claims like this every day and they will have a process for dealing. Be polite but firm and don't pay out for a repair elsewhere.

Good luck
Ford Focus - Arnold Clark Warranty - fault with car - gordonbennet

I'm pretty sure the Focus is not a simple bolted on slave cylinder, matter of £20 part and a quick bleed and all good, it's part of the clutch release bearing so the gearbox has to come out to repair, stupid piece of design.

Whilst the box is out it might be prudent to fit a new clutch at the same time (certainly it should be inspected anyway), you'll have to pay for the clutch itself but the small profit they make on those parts might encourage a better response from the dealer.

Edited by gordonbennet on 25/06/2019 at 12:03

Ford Focus - Arnold Clark Warranty - fault with car - daveyjp

Agree with others. It should be a warranty job, but its Arnold Clark so good luck.

IIRC the cylinder is in the bell housing so its a pain of a job. Agree its a chance to get a new clutch in there whilst it is in bit. You can offer to pay for the parts.

Failure of the cylinder may well be down to the fluid never having been changed - any evidence it has been? Generally it is done every two years, but it usually optional at service time and owners don't bother.

Ford Focus - Arnold Clark Warranty - fault with car - Bromptonaut

As it's Arnold Clark then probably OP is in Scotland. Don't think that makes a great deal of difference for consumer law around motor cars but here's a relevant l;ink:

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/scotland/consumer/

Ford Focus - Arnold Clark Warranty - fault with car - skidpan

As it's Arnold Clark then probably OP is in Scotland.

No so fast. Just looked on their website and AC have 52 branches in England out of a total of 200+, about 25%. Thus there is a fair chance the OP bought their car in England.

Ford Focus - Arnold Clark Warranty - fault with car - Falkirk Bairn

Consumer law is the same in Scotland - 6 months - in that time faults are deemed to be there since date of sale.

2 month warranty is depriving customers of their basic rights - assuming the car is not a £500 / 15 year old bangernomics 7 Series with lunar miles.

Ford Focus - Arnold Clark Warranty - fault with car - Heidfirst

Agree with others. It should be a warranty job, but its Arnold Clark so good luck.

I have twice had warranty work done by Arnold Clark branches - absolutely no problem getting it. Toyota though rather than Ford ...

Ford Focus - Arnold Clark Warranty - fault with car - FoxyJukebox

Look-you bought a car which doesn't change gear!. I cannot believe a dealer wouldn't honour your request to fix it and make good within such a short time of buying.

Ford Focus - Arnold Clark Warranty - fault with car - Claire Mack

hi, to update. After some back and fore Arnold Clark changed the clutch slave cylinder and also replaced the clutch if we were willing to pay half the labour costs, which we agreed to, thanks to all who replied.