What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
ford - subframe fail mot - debbieruby50

My partner has always took his car to the same garage for years. My partner was ill so this time I took the car to a different garage nearer to where we live. The car failed its mot on the sub frame and was told this was a dangerous defect and not to drive it. They discovered that the car subframe had been filled with fibre glass. In 2016 we were told that the subframe had a hole in and that they would weld & plate this and we paid for the repair to be carried out. He then passed an mot on this vehicle a further 3 times. What I want to know is this the correct way to repair a subframe and if not what can we do about this?

ford - subframe fail mot - elekie&a/c doctor
A metal plate with a continuous weld is perfectly ok for repair and an mot. A fibre glass repair is dangerous and unacceptable for this . However, you need to be careful, as some subframes are filled with a fibre glass or similar material for sound insulation/ vibration purposes
ford - subframe fail mot - edlithgow
A metal plate with a continuous weld is perfectly ok for repair and an mot. A fibre glass repair is dangerous and unacceptable for this . However, you need to be careful, as some subframes are filled with a fibre glass or similar material for sound insulation/ vibration purposes

Actually, it sounds like its the MOT tester that needs to be careful. Maybe this one wasn't.

IF the original repair was a weld, failed, and exposed underlying glass sound deadening, you probably don't have any comeback on the original repairer after that long. I doubt pro MOT welds are usually rustproofed much, if at all, and wont be guaranteed for long.

IF it was originally fibreglassed, you might have comeback IF you can catch them, but I'd think its a bit unlikely. Fibreglass is used by amateurs because they don't have access to the right stuff.

For a pro I'd think its almost as much trouble and expense as a weld, and quite a lot more criminal