What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
vw up the basic model - clutch renewal - smiffyuk

Hi

I've only just joined but I would appreciate any comments on the following

I bought a preregistered vw takeup in 2014 and although I don't do many miles each year (4550) since new I am aware of the clutch and gear selection problems

These are only just affecting my up and I am now considering changing the clutch when I doe a google search for a up clutch kit I have a choice of several different manufactures with a wide difference in price Can anybody advise me which is the best one to fit

I think the underlying problem iis that volkswagen built the up to a low cost specification and as VAG already manufacture the MINI did not want to in direct competition and pitched the cost lower with the result that many of the parts were purchased for the lowest price and have resulted in the problems that early model up owners have .This has now been resolved with the introduction of the new Tsi up models

I like the UP and would like to resolve these problems with better items replacing the original rubbish I don't think that a VW approved garage would like to do the work so I will get a local mechanic to change the clutch but which one should I ask them to fit

I've changed many clutches in the past normally out in the street using a pair of ramps and a screwdriver to centralise the spline but that was in the 1970's and 80's

Any comments would be gratefully received

smiffyuk

vw up the basic model - clutch renewal - elekie&a/c doctor
I would stick to known brands. Valeo , Luk are popular on Euro cars. May be an idea to give Vw parts dept a call , they often have specials on fast moving parts . Fitting is different on modern cars . A lot of suspension and possibly subframe will need to be removed.

Thanks for the reply

The most expensive manufacturer is the LUC clutch kit and although I have changed clutches and rebuilt many different car and motorbike engines in the past and I also have a copy of the up workshop manual I intend to ask a local ( to me) mechanic who runs a clean and tidy repair garage to carry out the work

Cost is not a factor but think the rates charged by volkswagen garages and also their know it all attitude means I shall use a local small garage to do the work but I just want the best replacement kit to use and I will pay whatever I'm asked ( within reason )

vw up the basic model - clutch renewal - galileo

VAG do not manufacture the MINI: BMW manufacture it. As others have said, LUK has a good reputation for clutches.

vw up the basic model - clutch renewal - gordonbennet

I would ask the mechanic for his advice here, and let him supply the clutch even if it's a little more expensive than than you could have bought it, the reason being if the clutch should (unlikely) fail, then the mechanic is bound to fix it, whereas if he fits parts you supply he has no control over the parts therefore would charge you for fitting again, he'll be much happier fitting quality parts anyway than some cheapo unheard of thing from an online site.

As a price guide, the garage we used fit LUK clutches, the full job was £280 incl on an Aygo, the dealer quoted some £700, it would be interesting to know what quotes you get for comparison.

Sachs used to be another reliable make, don't know if that is still the case.

since I passed my driving test in 1966 I have owned and maintained numerous cars vans and motorcycles In that time I have replaced clutches , engines and gearboxes But I have never a clutch on a brand new car ( my up) fail in 4 years and less than 5000 miles .

The only reason I bought the up was I was impressed with the VW reputation and assumed that they would build a good quality small city car but I have been sadly mistaken even more with the diesel engine con

I'm quite happy to approve the clutch supplied by my chosen garage I'm quite happy that they are good enough to stand behind their workmanship

If you read some of the up clutch failure problems it can only be cheap items that are causing the failures

Sachs make a clutch kit for the up

vw up the basic model - clutch renewal - Lee Power

LUK, Valeo or Sachs are all decent brands of clutch kit, i'd be happy with either of those 3 being fitted.

Well its happened

I fractured my fibia about 4 weeks ago and can't drive my wife has been shunting me to and from the fracture clinic at the local hospital and my cars is sitting outside my garage and yesterday I decided to start it up and check the gear selection prior to putting it back in the garage

Firstly the battery was flat took it off recharged it and fitted it this morning

Car started first turn and tried to depress the clutch pedal without engaging any gears The pedal felt solid I turned the engine off and tried all the gear positions by rocking the car they were free and then tried to free the clutch I finally got the pedal to move and it felt free started the engine again tried to put the car into gear to back into the garage I couldn't select reverse or first or pump the clutch pedal ( it been hard to select first and reverse for some time) all of a sudden it selected reverse and shot backwards The pedal did nothing I managed to stop the car before it hit the garage doors and I have now arranged for my local one man garage to collect my car and replace the clutch I've explained that I don't want the replacement to the same manufacture as the Volkswagen supplied version and left the choice up to him

When you read the tales of other up owners with clutch failures and VW responses to their complaints I can see why a redesign of the engine and gearbox was rushed in service after only 5 years

vw up the basic model - clutch renewal - Big John

Then this sounds like a Master or Slave cylinder issue - on this car a fairly straight forward and cheap job.

You've done a low mileage and I guess you've never had the clutch fluid changed - if left for some time cylinders / seals deterioate/corrode. However sounds like a simple job as I think the slave cylinder is external to the gearbox. Don't change the full clutch yet, change the hydraulics first!

Edited by Big John on 30/05/2019 at 00:23

vw up the basic model - clutch renewal - skidpan

I can see why a redesign of the engine and gearbox was rushed in service after only 5 years

As far as I am aware the Up and its siblings use exactly the same MPi engine today as they did when introduced. Its also used in poverty models of the Fabia and possibly the Polo/Ibiza. Those cars will also use the same gearbox.

when I first bought the I joined the up owners club where I first read about the gearbox clutch problems and how the problems started over the past 5 years I have seen the clutch get worse but not within the warranty period and when you read the state of the clutches removed for repair many had the metal teeth broken off and a few had failed whilst being driven

With that in mind I always pumped the clutch pedal about 8 or 9 times and went through the gear selecltion mainly from first to reverse before I started the engine

I have never considered that hydraulic fluild can fail unless it is contaminated with water and as the only store of fluid on the up is shared with the brakes I have never seen the need to change fluid I always test a sample of the fuild by heating it up and letting it condense it on a metal surface

I will be interested to see the cause of the problem anyway I was going to have the clutch changed as the selection of gears in the winter was getting worse

this problem only happened after I fractured my leg and my wife borrowed my car to go up the shops as mine was out and hers was in her garage

vw up the basic model - clutch renewal - Big John

I have never considered that hydraulic fluild can fail unless it is contaminated with water and as the only store of fluid on the up is shared with the brakes I have never seen the need to change fluid I always test a sample of the fuild by heating it up and letting it condense it on a metal surface

Fluid or no fluid change master and/or slave cylinders can and do fail and with your car it's a cheap job so I'd start there. Thiis can be done without removing the gearbox.

Not being able to select first or reverse is a sign of a clutch dragging in some way which can be the Master, slave, hydraulics haven't pushed on the release rearing enough. The fact it was worse after being stored indicates this may be the issue. It could be the release arm (which this gearbox has), the release bearing itself but I can't see this getting worse when stored. At least it doesn't have a concentric slave cylinder which is inside the gearbox and would be a full stripdown job.

On a separate note , probably not the case with yours, I have seen some horror stories with brake and clutch hydraulics when preparing to stripdown / restore cars. One car the drained brake fluid looked like milk. On a Volvo the fluid was brown - which turned out to be rust! from a dual circuit failure detection swtich. Frequently I've seen pitted cylinder walls (brake and clutch) . Obviously this is on much older cars but I've seen what happens eventually. Testing the fluid in the master cylinder only tests the latest fluid put into the car for whatever service reasons (change of brake pads, pipes, wheel cylinder etc) and doesn't fully represent the state of the fluid further into the system.

Edited by Big John on 02/06/2019 at 23:09

FOR THE PAST 55 YEARS I HAVE ALWAYS ADOPTED THE SAME APPROACH TO CAR MAINTENANCE IF ANY THING LIKE OIL, BRAKE FLUID OR WATER SUDDENLY APPEARS UNDER MY CAR I EXAMINE THE CAUSE AND CORRECT THE PROBLEM EVERY WEEK WITHOUT FAIL I CHECK MY WATER OIL TYRES LIGHTS AND GENERAL SAFETY OF MY CURRENT CAR

SINCE THE CARS HAVE BECOME MORE TECHNICAL FOR THE LAYMAN TO MAINTAIN I HAVE BOUGHT A FAULT CODE READER AND CAN RESET MANY OF THE PROBLEM DISPLAYED I CAN ALSO HAVE A GOOD IDEA OF THE CAUSE OF MOST FAILURES AND CAN OBTAIN AND FIT MANY OF THE SENSORS THAT FAIL AND CAUSE THE PROBLEMS

I AM NOT A TRAINED CAR MECHANIC AND I DON'T WANT TO BE BUT I HAVE FOUND THAT MANY PROBLEMS CAN BE AVOIDED IF YOU APPLY COMMON SENSE

I ALSO APPLY THE SAME ATTITUDE TO MY HOME HEATING SYSTEM AND ANY OTHER PROBLEMS WHICH OCCUR IF I CAN'T FIX IT THEN I GET A NEW ONE

I DISLIKE BEING BEING TOLD BY THE "EXPERT" THAT WHAT I'M DOING IS WRONG

BUT I WILL READ ANY AND ALL PUBLICATIONS ON WHATEVER SUBJECT IS CAUSING ME PROBLEMS