What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda CRV - Petrol - Branded V Supermarket - Roger41

Which petrol is better for my car, branded namely Shell or supermarket namely Sainsbury's?

Honda CRV - Petrol - Branded V Supermarket - Falkirk Bairn

I run my CRV on Premium - £50.00 put in yesterday - runs smoother than with any other brand IMHO.

How old is your petrol CRV?

Honda CRV - Petrol - Branded V Supermarket - skidpan

By "premium" I presume you mean 95 RON from a major brand and not a supermarket.

Only time we use a branded filling station is when we are on holiday, no supermarkets within 30 miles. No car we have owned has run better and done more mpg than it does for the rest of the year when using branded fuel.

All fuel meets the BS required, the only difference is the additive package and many believe branded fuels have better additives. But there is no actual proof of this, as far as I am aware no brand has ever declared what it adds and no one has proved one additive package is better than another. Its all blond totty in white lab coats.

I will continue to use supermarkets just like I have since the mid 80's. Mainly Tesco and Asda.

Honda CRV - Petrol - Branded V Supermarket - gordonbennet
. Its all blond totty in white lab coats.

A very pleasant image that brings to mind too..:-)

I tried premium fuels for a while, to see what all the fuss was about, all it did was cost more.

I do however add Millers Diesel additive to my Diesel 4x4, and Millers Ecomax to the Forester's petrol tank which runs mostly on LPG anyway, of which i haven't seen any premium offered though Shell and BP garages charge some 10/15% more for the stuff as a rule.

Thanks for the info.

Thanks for your reply. I'll continue to use Sainsbury's petrol.

Hi My CRV is Just 3 years old.

Honda CRV - Petrol - Branded V Supermarket - SLO76
In my experience there is a difference thanks to the additives added by brands such as BP and Shell but it depends on the car as to whether you’ll see a noticeable difference. I experimented with a Renault Kangoo diesel over a period of months running it solely on supermarket fuel then later on branded fuel and there was a noticeable difference in performance, cold starting and in economy but I’ve repeated this experiment with other cars with no real difference particularly Japanese petrol engined models which tend to be marketed Globally and often in countries with lower fuel standards than our own so I assume they’re designed to cope. Upshot of it all I’d run a European car, especially diesel on mostly branded fuel and I’d be happy with supermarket fuel in most Japanese models.
Honda CRV - Petrol - Branded V Supermarket - FP

I use supermarket stuff in my Mazda CX-5, but I do add Miller's Ecomax, as I have done with all my cars for the last ten years or so.

No idea whether it makes much difference, but the car has started to produce a little more power since I took it over, to judge from a particular incline that it will now manage comfortably in fifth gear.

Honda CRV - Petrol - Branded V Supermarket - sandy56

On my last two diesel cars I usually use(d) branded "super" diesel, and never had any diesel related problems like injectors or dpf issues, over seven years motoring.

Honda CRV - Petrol - Branded V Supermarket - skidpan

On my last two diesel cars I usually use(d) branded "super" diesel, and never had any diesel related problems like injectors or dpf issues, over seven years motoring.

From 1996 to 2015 we had a least one diesel in the house, for 9 years we had 2, a total of 6 cars. All were run on supermarket "regular" diesel and none had any injector or other issues. 2 of the cars had dpf's and over 11 years we had no issues with those either.

My experience of 6 cars proves nothing in the big picture and neither does your experience with 2 cars.

Do less than 10K miles per annum I've recently switch to a petrol automatic. thanks for your info.

Thanks for the info.