Ford Focus - Ford Focus- Gearshift "clump" noise and low torque - lee m

Ford Focus Zetec S 2010 plate (Duratec HS 1.8 engine)

83k Miles/ Part service and so far no replacement parts in the logbook.

So I bought a used car and have noticed a few things that are bothering me. Im not a car expert and I am learning as I go along.

1. When starting the car up and going from 1st to 2nd I can hear a mechanical "Clump" like sound within 2 seconds of shifting/ engaging 2nd gear. This only so far happens when I start the car from idle.

2. Could just be me this one but there just doesnt seem to be much torque in 2nd and 3rd in low/ mid RPM range. Ive been googling like mad to find possible causes and im finding that this could possibley fuel injector or a air intake meter issue? The clutch isnt dragging since the car does gain speed but it just feels so odd to gain a low torque in 2nd/3rd before I hit 4000RPM (over this amount seems fine)

3. When turning left / right onto a road or as such I can sometimes hear a grind if I really put my foot down coming from front passenger side footwell.

4. Switching gear doesn't feel as smooth as it used too. Possible clutch repair? Biting point feels sharp and close ish too the start of the clutch pedal.

Keen to get the car booked in for a major service but dont want to get ripped off. Was hoping for some advice and probable causes and learn as I go along! Also no error dashboard lights so far.

Also is it worth getting a diagnostic interface scanner before I get the car checked out to see if anything pops up? If so which would you recommend?

Edited by lee m on 10/04/2019 at 01:04

Ford Focus - Ford Focus- Gearshift "clump" noise and low torque - Oli rag
Quite strange symptoms you have. I would doubt it was a clutch problem, but the clump noise could be possibly wear in a cv joint or a knock from an exhaust pipe.

The noise when turning could be a worn cv joint , but both would need to be worn out to give you noise when turning in both directions. Can’ t really help other than that and even then I might be well wide of the mark.