What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Mondeo Estate - Wheel alignment/tracking at rapid - S40 Man

About 6 months (5000 miles) ago I changed my track rod ends. Advice was to get tracking checked afterwards.I did this and got some new Avon v7 tyres at a national rapid fit place. The tyres are now really worn on the inner edges almost to minimum legal depth but the outer edge have about 7mm left. I took it to the place today and the guy said its a suspension fault? Rubbers or similar. Does that sound right? Do I have any come back Tyres are basically knackered. Any suggestions as to the way forward.

I can maybe try and pursue this or just bite the bullet and Get the the tracking/suspension checked somewhere else and some new tyres from somewhere else.

Thanks

Ford Mondeo Estate - Wheel alignment/tracking at rapid - RT

Tracking is just one of the critical angles in a car's suspension - get the suspension checked for wear by a competent workshop and then have full 12-axis alignment done on Hunter, or equivalent, laser equipment.

Ford Mondeo Estate - Wheel alignment/tracking at rapid - bathtub tom

The tyres are now really worn on the inner edges almost to minimum legal depth but the outer edge have about 7mm left

That would suggest you have far too much toe out. When you replaced the track rod ends, did you screw them up the track rods as far as they would go?

Suspension wear would, I suspect, lead to too much toe in.

Ford Mondeo Estate - Wheel alignment/tracking at rapid - Peter.N.

+ 1 for to much toe out, to have done that to the tyres they must be well out. I have a DIY tracking tool consisting of a length of tube inside of which sits a threaded rod, I always check and align with this and always have, and its not difficult to get it near enough spot on. Can't do four wheel alignment that way though.

Ford Mondeo Estate - Wheel alignment/tracking at rapid - gordonbennet

For simple alignment to be out enough to wear them that badly in such a short time i would have said the car would be almost undriveable, especially over undulating roads.

I'd be looking at other suspension bushes which might be old/perished/soft allowing the alignment to toe out at speed, in such cases the alignment when stationary can be perfect but once up to speed faulty bushes compress.

It can be most illuminating to drive along a continuous white line, especially when the road is wet, if you allow one side of the car to drrift onto the white line and the car starts to veer one way or the other, it's a good pointer to their being tracking issues of some sort, because the side of the car running on the wet white paint will have less friction resistance, so the tyre with more grip will be the prime steering tyre and if they are pointing in different directions the car will want to go that way.

Also this is another time where watching how your car, driven by someone else, behaves over different road surfaces can be revealing, showing up suspension/alignment issues which might not be apparent during normal checks.

The funny thing is that bush wear at the rear tends to be more obvious, especially on RWD cars, anyone remember that horrid feeling from mk 3/4/5 Cortinas when the top bushes at the rear wore, often an annual thing to change, then it was those large bushes at the front end of Sierras which wore badly leading to wandering steering, never had too much to do with Mondeos to know what the weak points on those are.

Edited by gordonbennet on 31/03/2019 at 14:56

Ford Mondeo Estate - Wheel alignment/tracking at rapid - S40 Man

I think you are right, too much toe. I did the save. number of turns add for taking the old one off. I think I may trust this job to a proper garage now. Live and learn and all that. The Haynes manual said count turns Eden get tracking checked. Oh well.

Car actually handles OK presumably as the car leans one Tyre it's nearly flat.