Ford Mondeo - Travelling to a car garage with no tax or mot to s - Free-man

Long story short the car was up on bricks for a while and now need to move on. Garage says they'll buy it if I get it there. I rang DVLA who say that if it is booked in fir a MOT on that day then I can legally travel to the MOT centre, 'popping into the garage' along the way there or back.

I'm not sure about it. If I get fines or points in the post how responsive would they be to me sending through the proof of MOT appointment. Plus the garage is a few hundred miles from my home. It will be a trade in. Thinking of booking a mot centre close to the garage.

Wondering if any advice in case about to make a major misjudgement.

Ford Mondeo - Travelling to a car garage with no tax or mot to s - Oli rag
Don’t do it. If you get stopped , I think you would be in trouble for not booking an mot test close to home. I’m fairly sure I read something about having to have a very good reason for not using a station within a reasonable distance of where the car is based.

Well couldn't I say I had it parked up in Scotland off the road as its sorn. And no option but to book a mot somewhere along the way home.

Ford Mondeo - Travelling to a car garage with no tax or mot to s - badbusdriver

What age and value is the car?. I'm asking because if the car is worth very little, why go to the trouble of delivering it a few hundred miles?. Also, is it not going to look a bit suspicious to the Police if they stop you, and you tell them you are taking it for an MOT that far away from home?. Not sure exactly how it works, but i'd be very reluctant to do that myself. The other thing is, if you do get the car to the garage and they say having seen it, they don't want it, what then?, will you drive the car home again?.

If it was my car, assuming the car isn't worth much, i think i'd get a local scrapyard to come and pick it up.

Ford Mondeo - Travelling to a car garage with no tax or mot to s - gordonbennet

Comes under the heading ''taking the p'', and no better way to get the book thrown at you than doing exactly that.

If its really worth enough to make this journey, why not put an ad on Shiply or similar, see if you can get someone to transport it for a decent price...if you are flexible on times and days and not in a hurry someone might do the job quite cheaply to avoid returning home empty, you might find it cost no more than the fuel needed to get it there and the bus/train fare home...of course you're out of pocket if the garage supposedly buying it decide it's worth a quarter of what you've agreed presumably already, but that applies even if you risk driving it yourself.

Just want to say thanks, largely due to your responses decided not to do it. Will try shiply. Just always a problem when you bring somehing to a garage and they know you're out of options so can take the p with the price they'll give you.