Suzuki SX4 S-Cross - Suzuki -SX4 -S Cross -1.6 - motorway fuel economy? - eustace

Any owners of the Suzuki SX4 S-Cross 1.6 petrol on this forum?

This car has great fuel economy specs, both on official specs, as well as on this site's real economy section. Despite being a crossover and having a 5 speed manual gearbox, The fuel economy figures trumps those of hatchbacks like the Auris and the Civic.

I currently have a ford focus.

While the average MPG is around 37, it drops down to 30, when doing 75 mph on motorways.

I understand that this is a common problem on cars that don't have 6th gears, as the engine is operating at much higher revs (almost 4000 rpm).

I am consider buying an SX-4 S-Cross.

Just wanted feedback on whether the 1.6 petrol S-Cross has the same problem.

HJ's review and other review sites do mention that this engine needs to be worked hard, in order to make progress.

Any inputs appreciated...

Suzuki SX4 S-Cross - Suzuki -SX4 -S Cross -1.6 - motorway fuel economy? - SLO76
I’m not criticising the Suzuki, it’s a robust car but I thing I notice another real mpg figures is that cars which tend to be bought by older people often seem to do better than average but you’ve got to factor in most SX4 drivers along with Honda Jazz owners tend to be found tootling along the inside lane at 50mph or through the town at 20mph. You’re right to come on looking for real life experience from owners but If you’re looking for outright economy I wouldn’t buy a 1.6 petrol with a tall body and 5sp box. I’d look at superminis like a Yaris if it’s big enough or a more modern family hatch like a Mazda 3 Skyactiv possibly a Honda Civic 1.6 diesel if budget and usage suit.
Suzuki SX4 S-Cross - Suzuki -SX4 -S Cross -1.6 - motorway fuel economy? - eustace

Thanks SLO76! Your advice is as always, highly appreciated.

My mileage does not warrant a diesel.

I don't generally like superminis, as to the more risk involved with small cars, in accidents.

Also I don't want to consider a GDI engine at this point (like the Mazda 3). I would like more clarity on the long term viability of the GDI engines, from valve carbonization angle, etc. While I understand the steps have been taken to mitigate this problem, I am not sure if this problem has been fully solved, except in toyota engines which use a hybrid of port and direct injection.

I have put out another post, giving the options I have shortlisted and my thoughts on them.

Please can you take a look at that post as well, and offer your suggestions....

Edited by eustace on 22/02/2019 at 15:18