What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Nissan X-Trail - x-Trail models - Dragon 999

I have been looking for an ideal 4x4, by that I mean it has to have the right seat height for a disabled person to get in & out. These have proven to be the ideal height after comparing other 4x4's, but there is a problem and thats which model and how do you work out the difference between them all to narrow down your searches. I am not looking at the new style and much prefer an 8-10 year old automatic diesel that has been looked after and wont need lots of work to keep going. I will be doing under 10k a year but will be using green lanes to get to work at times. Any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Nissan X-Trail - x-Trail models - dan86

Some on hear will suggest a Japanese petrol instead possibly the Honda jazz that is honest John's go to car for all suggestions.

But all joking aside at this age and price bracket you could be walking into a potential money pit buy on condition and service history

Edited by dan86 on 19/02/2019 at 04:19

Nissan X-Trail - x-Trail models - SLO76
It’s nothing more than a Renault Megane under the skin. Shares the same platform, electronics and engines. Not a good used buy and prone to a huge list of common problems including DPF, EGR, turbo failure, timing chain issues, Diff failure, gearbox problems etc etc etc etc.

Few survive into old age unlike rivals from Honda and Toyota. I’d advise a rethink. If it absolutely has to be an SUV then I’d look for a petrol Honda CRV or Toyota RAV4 instead. £8k would Land you a diesel that’s right at that age/mileage when trouble is truely starting but if it again absolutely has to be then I’d stretch it as far as you can to get a good CRV 2.2 DTEC Auto. But really you’ll be far better served by a manual petrol example.
Nissan X-Trail - x-Trail models - gordonbennet

Would a CRV or Rav4 cope with green lanes.

This green lane off-road use is where the soft roaders might be a bit overwhelmed.

SLO's post would put me right off an Xtrail and HJ's list of bad points of the vehicle makes grim reading.

A very worthy and often forgotten alternative to Xtrail capable of serious off road work without going into full size 4x4's, could be Mitsubishi Outlander, but read HJ's reviews and model history on the vehicle because you ideally want the 2.3DiD chain cam engine, and note some of these cars came with 2WD only, so if one could be considered make sure you double check exactly what you are looking at....the rare 2.4 petrol engined Outlanders run into high rate VED if first regd after March 2006.

Dragon, in your OP you mention not having to do much work on the vehicle to keep it going.

I find neglecting the vehicle to be the quickest way to end its life, good regular maintenance, mainly regular oil services including the transmissions which everyone neglects, looking after the fuel system, looking after the brakes, greasing up where appropriate and keeping the undersides free of salt, all this costs very little especially if you DIY and if you did nothing else to the vehicle would see them last many more trouble free years than they do in the hands of people who don't look after their cars.

Edited by gordonbennet on 19/02/2019 at 09:38

Nissan X-Trail - x-Trail models - Sulphur Man

The Mk2 X-Trail 2.0dci diesel auto is a Renualt Megane underneath? I thought this particular model was a thing apart from the Alliance shared platform cars. I can believe that the current soft-roader X-trail is closely aligned with Renaults

We had the Mk1 2.5 petrol auto X-trail. Drank fuel but utterly dependable and excellent in all weathers. It got my wife to and from our local hospital with a difficult second pregnancy through the heavy snowy 09-10 winter. That design was never bettered, low window lines for children to look out of and a great driving position. They shouldve have stuck to that design.

Nissan X-Trail - x-Trail models - corax

This one.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/nissan/x-trail-2007/.../

I'm not sure how much Renault influence there is in the Mk2 model besides engines. T31 shape I think. They came as a petrol with Nissan 2.5 which was a very reliable engine but you could only get it with the Nissan CVT/Torque Converter box. The diesels were Renault with many reports of EGR problems initially, sorted by ECU reflash. Reports of the engines with timing chain failure, failed bearings, oil pumps. But that's OK, lower CO2 to compensate for being thousands out of pocket, and road reviewers still go on about diesel being best for everyone.

Likewise it's unclear how much Nissan/Renault DNA is in the suspension, electrics e.t.c. They're not popular like the earlier models. It seems like a hurried rehash of that car without the appeal.

Edited by corax on 19/02/2019 at 13:48

Nissan X-Trail - x-Trail models - badbusdriver

With respect to SLO, i think he is mistaken re the Renault connection. Yes the current, 3rd generation X-Trail uses a Renault floorpan and mechanical bits, but i'm pretty certain the 1st and 2nd generation (an 8-10 year old example would be 2nd gen, 2007-2013) didn't have any Renault in it. Not sure how reliable they are overall though.

I am very interested in the thought of using green lanes to get to work!

Nissan X-Trail - x-Trail models - Dragon 999

Thanks for all the very useful info/help, I think I will revise my search for the ideal car, not easy but a few steps closer thanks to everyone here.

The green lane to work;- its not really a green lane but I thought the best way to discribe on here in a way all would understand. It's more an unserfaced lane over a mountain between two valleys where I live. It can be almost impassable to a normal car where they would bottom out so with the extra height its ok. Can be the odd deep puddle at times and the first place to have snow & ice so there you have it. No mud up to the axle and no deep ruts to get stuck in, oddly enough it has always been used and what we called many years ago a white road (on a map) but a few years ago the local council in their strange wisdom put a sign up saying except for access and a steel barrier, although this is never closed or locked I along with the locals who use this road/track have been wondering why they gone to the expence of trying to stop it being used. Maybe I seen too many conspiracy vids on youtube haha.

Thanks again everyone, this is a great place full of knowledge ;-)

Nissan X-Trail - x-Trail models - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}

Maybe this green lane/white road has had it's status changed by the council? Many former roads have been downgraded to bridleways to prevent use by off road motorcycles or 4x4s.

There is usually a pretty obvious sign in that case.

Nissan X-Trail - x-Trail models - pyruse

Another make to look at if you want good off-road performance and reliability is Subaru.