What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Advice on a second car - Benj1

Hi all,

I'm currently looking for a second car as a work commuter (30 miles per day). My requirements were: isofix, petrol, 5 door, mileage under 80k, costs less than £3.5k (roughly) and can also be of a good enough size to be used as a main car temporarily if needed.

I've narrowed it down to a 2010 Kia Ceed (1.4 or 1.6) or a 2009 Ford Fiesta (1.4 or 1.6).

Does anyone have any alternative recommendations or opinions on the cars above?

Edited by Benj1 on 03/02/2019 at 12:31

Advice on a second car - SLO76
Japanese petrol engined models are usually the best option at this money but the Fiesta does use a Yamaha designed engine so fits the bill too.

I’d favour a Mazda 3, preferably a facelifted model from 2009 onwards. They’re utterly reliable, there’s no timing belt to worry about, they’re great fun to drive and there’s a bit more space than a supermini. Watch for rust especially on pre-facelift cars and sticking brake calippers but other than that there no real vices to worry about.

Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20181108225...1

Thanks for that. For some reason I don't like the look of the Mazda but it is very tempting to get one over a the Fiesta/Kia as it seems the ideal choice. We currently have a 1.8 petrol '07 Civic as our main car and I did consider just buying another as it's so reliable.

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190129441...1

Edited by Benj1 on 03/02/2019 at 13:41

Advice on a second car - nellyjak

Given the budget and your requirements....I'm always constant in my personal opinion...lol

Go Japanese...and go petrol

Given the budget and your requirements....I'm always constant in my personal opinion...lol

Go Japanese...and go petrol

Haha! I think it may be another Civic then!

Advice on a second car - Engineer Andy

Quite reasonable - you know you've got something that works for you, just get an updated model. I suppose it depends upon how much newer you can go on your budget (including selling/PXing the old one), especially if your current Civic was bought either new or you've owned it for a good few years (5+), and thus, if you've looked after it, you may be paying quite a bit for a car not much different (including in terms of reliability) to your current one.

Quite reasonable - you know you've got something that works for you, just get an updated model. I suppose it depends upon how much newer you can go on your budget (including selling/PXing the old one), especially if your current Civic was bought either new or you've owned it for a good few years (5+), and thus, if you've looked after it, you may be paying quite a bit for a car not much different (including in terms of reliability) to your current one.

We’d still keep the current one and have two Civic’s. Whichever has the car seat in at the time can just be the main one! I’d probably be looking at a 2008/09 one. Not fussed on colour really so that makes them much easier to find. Our current one is top spec with the panoramic roof, cruise control etc. But none of this is essential at all. Leather heated seats would be my only luxury addition.
Advice on a second car - Engineer Andy

My bad - I should've re-read the thread title again. How embarrassking...my brain needs food!

Best of luck with the new Civic.

Advice on a second car - SLO76
Absolutely nothing wrong with another petrol Civic at all but the Mazda is a bit nicer to drive and like for like you’ll get more for your money.