What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
VW Golf TDI 1.9 130 - Mk4 golf electric issue - Marshall2018
Hi I have a few issues with my mk4 golf tdi 1.9 hoping I could get some help my electrics seem to be awful on this car and have no idea how to sort it

Faults
Electric windows don’t work except back ones from back switches front one does nothing but will do the locks

Key fob doesn’t work to lock/unlock

Interior lights only work when pressed manually

Also cluster resets randomly when driving

Airbag light on but very dim

Traction control randomly comes On. sometimes will turn On and off if I press it but rarely

The one light in the passenger o/s on the roof comes on with door open but that’s it no other lights inside come on except the drivers door and the passenger door but passenger side instantly dims

Changed CCM fuses
Changed fuse 14 multiple times and other fuses

Any help appreciated
VW Golf TDI 1.9 130 - Mk4 golf electric issue - elekie&a/c doctor

What is the age of this car?

Ithe year is 2003

If you are happy that all the fuses are present and correct ,then I would suspect the problem is a faulty comfort control module.This is located on a support strap behind the fuse box ,driver side. You need to drop the dash under panel for access. This module controls the function of the interior lights and windows. The problems with the airbag light and traction and cluster are a separate issue. I would check battery and alternator charge system.

Is there anything I can do with the CCM to sort it? Also the battery is new unless he put a cheap one in haven’t been able to test it to be honest and don’t know what it should be putting out voltage wise

And what do I do to check if the alternator is ok or no good or do I have to put it through diagnostics

Also thanks for the reply struggling to find any help
VW Golf TDI 1.9 130 - Mk4 golf electric issue - dieselnut

Battery voltage should be just over 12v sitting there & stay above 12v with the ignition on.

Once started the voltage should rise quickly to just over 14v.

With the engine running, switch on the headlights, heated rear window & fan, voltage should stay over 13v if the alternator is working correctly.

VW Golf TDI 1.9 130 - Mk4 golf electric issue - skidpan

Also the battery is new unless he put a cheap one in haven’t been able to test it to be honest and don’t know what it should be putting out voltage wise

Without engine running and before starting the car the battery voltage after standing overnight should be minimum 12.7 with a healthy battery.

And what do I do to check if the alternator is ok or no good or do I have to put it through diagnostics

AT idle with the engine running and a voltmeter across the battery terminals you should see about 14.4 volts with a modern traditional alternator. The smart alternators have variable voltages but I would not expect a 15 year old Golf to have one.

There is a little trick you may want to try to prove the Ccm is at fault, Remove the unit and carefully slide the electronic gubbins out of the plastic case. Now you need to apply gentle heat to the large microprocessor on the Pcb .It should have a large M engraved on it (Motorola) . Use a hair dryer with a wave action to distribute the heat. Reconnect the unit and test. You may be lucky.
To be honest I’ll leave that to someone else to id only end up messing it or breaking something but thanks for the tip....battery died today after running the car for about 45minutes to an hour turned engine off then leaving radio on for maybe 10 minute 15 max and it died the car is a disaster don’t know how it literally just passed it’s mot gonna have to take someone to look properly I think
VW Golf TDI 1.9 130 - Mk4 golf electric issue - Big John
To be honest I’ll leave that to someone else to id only end up messing it or breaking something but thanks for the tip....battery died today after running the car for about 45minutes to an hour turned engine off then leaving radio on for maybe 10 minute 15 max and it died the car is a disaster don’t know how it literally just passed it’s mot gonna have to take someone to look properly I think

I'd say that's a clue - looks like your battery or charging system as mentioned above. As suggested above measure the voltages although you clearly need to jump start now.

Voltage should be 12.x volts with the engine off and 13.x/14.x volts with the engine running

Edited by Big John on 11/12/2018 at 20:14

I’ll give it a go the weekend thank you.
VW Golf TDI 1.9 130 - Mk4 golf electric issue - Ian D
If you don’t have a voltmeter as a not ideal alternative go to eBay any type in battery tester cigarette lighter and for a couple of pounds get a gadget that plugs into your cigarette lighter and displays voltage to check all that has been suggested above, checking the alternator is pumping out sufficient volts is the way to go
VW Golf TDI 1.9 130 - Mk4 golf electric issue - Ian D
No, it is volts that need checking
I managed to check and the battery is fine 12+ Without it running left overnight
14+ when it’s running idle

Pulled the door card off to check wires they are all ok
I give up now probably gonna need someone to have a decent look at the car and plug it in and whatever else
I managed to check and the battery is fine 12+ Without it running left overnight
14+ when it’s running idle

Pulled the door card off to check wires they are all ok
I give up now probably gonna need someone to have a decent look at the car and plug it in and whatever else