What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Mondeo Estate - Powerflex bushes - S40 Man

He's anyone fitted polyeurothane trailing arm bushes? The mk4 mondeo ones on mine have gone. You need a special tool to fit oem ones. Apparently the powerful ones just push in but I'm not sure how much force would be needed. In the brochure it says use a press but I would do DIY in situ. Maybe using a vice or similar. Any advice or experience greatly recieved.

I am hopefully getting a quote from local garage too for.oem ones.

www.powerflex.co.uk/product-details/Rear+Trailing+...l

Ford Mondeo Estate - Powerflex bushes - albapa

I've fitted PSB (different brand but I think same material and design) on a Honda Civic. It was simple enough, the slightly difficult part was to get the old bush out. I cut out the rubber and then sawed through the metal ring and it came out easily. To fit the new one, I used a vice, it pushed in easily, 10 seconds each. It came with some silicone grease, I used that liberally on the arm and the bush itself. Hope this helps.

Ford Mondeo Estate - Powerflex bushes - elekie&a/c doctor
Forget it .Replacing these bushes is a mission unless you have the correct tool.Any good garage will have the right equipment to do the job. They also have to be aligned correctly.

Yes you are right you need a special tool for the oem bushes but my understanding is that the poly bushes didn't need a special tool? You are probably right though, will be a lot easier with a ramp lift anyway. The guy at local garage said he may be able to borrow the tool anyway.

Thanks Albapa

I was thinking a vice was the obvious choice of tool. I just wasn't sure if you can get enough pressure/force. That is good to know you managed.

Ford Mondeo Estate - Powerflex bushes - Gibbo_Wirral

I've fitted Powerflex bushes on a couple of Peugeots - they're brilliant for replacing ones which would normally need the part taking out and the new bush putting in with a press.

Also handling was slightly better too, but that might have just been because I'd replaced a 10 year old part!

Ford Mondeo Estate - Powerflex bushes - albapa

Actually someone with a gorilla grip may be able to push them by hand, but the vice (I (ab)used my woodworker vice, but if you need larger surface area two bits of wood plus a normal vice is just as good) is plenty, it pops in no time. I made sure the inside of the arm was clean and smooth, no burrs. Just slather the bush with the silicone grease so it won't get damaged.

Just to round this one off. In the end I found a Ford Indy in Guildford where I live who did the job for £90 + VAT. The poly bushes were also £90 but I would have had to spend all day under the car. Lots of other places I phoned were around £170 at that I might have done it myself.

I was also slightly dubious about the poly bushes. Some people still to taste them and others not so keen.

Anyway the mondy handles OK on own rubber.

Overall I'm happy. Just hope the other side didn't need doing soon?