What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus 1.6 LX - Ford Focus Mk2 (2006) clutch pedal spring snapped - dac1

Hi

I have a Ford Focus Mk2 (2006) 1.6 LX petrol.

This morning as I finished my journey, literally on the last gear change (gear down) before slotting into my parking space, there was a loud ping and something then ricocheted around the foot well.

It turns out that it is a broken spring. The spring's coil bit is about 1.5 inches long with an extra 1 inch hook to each end of the coil bit. The entire srping is around 3.5 inches in total. The spring has snapped in the coil section.

As a result the clutch pedal can be pushed down but it doesn't come up quickly. It comes up very slowly.

Please can someone answer the following questions:
1) What has happened?
2) How much is it likely to cost to fix it?
3) Is it safe to drive home in it (I think not but wanted to check with you)?
4) Would a roadside rescue service warrant this as a need to tow me home, and are they known to fix the issue I have or will it need to be a mechanic that fixes it?

Thanks.

Ford Focus 1.6 LX - Ford Focus Mk2 (2006) clutch pedal spring snapped - FP

Not sure if my 2005 petrol Focus is the same, but I had this happen to me.

My trusted indie managed after a huge struggle to replace the spring, which broke again a while later. Apparently it's an absolute pig of a job.

After that I didn't bother and the car has been fine. The clutch pedal seems a little less resistant (as you would expect), but as long as there is no pressure on the clutch mechanism I can't see it's a problem. The spring is just to raise the pedal fully.