Ford Focus Estate - Problem with a used car - CRA - Jimmy85

Hi All,

Just after some friendly advice - I bought a 2008 Ford Focus Estate 1.8 Diesel on the 23rd June 2018. It was from a local garage. It had about 77k on it and I have since put roughly 400-500 miles on it.

Went to start it today and I am face with a engine malfunction light and limp mode. Obviously I am not happy - I expected a bit more use out the car despire it being 10 years old. I have checked the warranty, which states a claim limit of £100 (not going to fix much at all). I havent took it to a garage yet. But if I do and face a huge bill what are my options. Can I use the 'Consumer Rights Act 2015' 30 day period, I also paid via debit not credit card (if that makes any difference). If I understand the CRA correctly I can either return the car and ask for a full refund or ask them to repair the car. Am I right, would I be able to use the CRA. If I went down the route of repairs what would happen if the fault doesnt occur for the 30 day period? Also does the milleage I have done have any impact on the claim?

I appriciate any help or advice on the matter.

Thanks

Ford Focus Estate - Problem with a used car - CRA - alan1302

The car has a 6 month wartranty on it and the garage will need to fix the fault or refund you. Ignore the £100 mentioned as legally they have to fix it as any fault within 6 months is their responsibility.

Ford Focus Estate - Problem with a used car - CRA - Bromptonaut

www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/buying-or-repai.../

Helpline number is 03454 04 05 06

Ford Focus Estate - Problem with a used car - CRA - Jimmy85

Ive read alot on there, I guess I will contact the seller first and see what their response is.

Out of interest the sentence "I would like you to put this right by giving me a refund/repairing the car at your cost." Is it my choice for a refund or repair of the traders choice. I guess Citizen advice will be able to answer that should I need to call them after speaking to the trader. My worry is they will fix and few weeks later same/similar problem occurs. So I am now thinking a refund would be the better option.

Ford Focus Estate - Problem with a used car - CRA - Palcouk

The price range for that model is £700- £3k approx and for that you cannot expect a 6 month warranty.

And if the trader is trying to fob you off with a £100 max warranty you are not going to get far with them

Edited by Palcouk on 12/07/2018 at 20:05

Ford Focus Estate - Problem with a used car - CRA - alan1302

The price range for that model is £700- £3k approx and for that you cannot expect a 6 month warranty.

Yes you can - the trader is legally responsible for faults on the car for 6 months

Ford Focus Estate - Problem with a used car - CRA - galileo

Yes you can - the trader is legally responsible for faults on the car for 6 months

No. Only if these faults were present at the time of sale. Proving this is not always easy.

Ford Focus Estate - Problem with a used car - CRA - Brit_in_Germany

This is what the act says:

For the purposes of subsections (3)(b) and (c) and (4), goods which do not conform to the contract at any time within the period of six months beginning with the day on which the goods were delivered to the consumer must be taken not to have conformed to it on that day.

Ford Focus Estate - Problem with a used car - CRA - Palcouk

A court will take into account the price - so no you will not have an enforcable 6 month warranty on a low priced car.

Same as a lifetime warranty is not actually that

Ford Focus Estate - Problem with a used car - CRA - JONATHAN_11_80

Your covered by law for 6 months. After 3 months you have to prove the fault was present at the point of sale. The garage should repair the car or you can reject it under the consumer protection act.

Ford Focus Estate - Problem with a used car - CRA - skidpan

Your covered by law for 6 months. After 3 months you have to prove the fault was present at the point of sale. The garage should repair the car or you can reject it under the consumer protection act.

Again not correct at all.

Under the CRA 2015 if a fault appears within 6 months is presumed to have been there when you bought the product, its up to the seller to prove it was not there when you bought it. You have to allow the seller one opportunity to fix it, if the fault is still there reject the product.

But in the case of a car you are not entitled to a full refund, the seller is entitled to make a resonable deduction for the use you have had (but there is no definition of "reasonable").

Getting your money is obviously not a given, if the seller plays hard ball or simply ceases trading you are stuffed. Any Arthur Daley type will probably take you into the "boiler room" to discuss the faults rather than giving you money.

Citizens advice can be OK but in many cases they are useless. Manned mostly by volunteers the advice is only as good as the person you speak to.

Ford Focus Estate - Problem with a used car - CRA - Bromptonaut

Citizens advice can be OK but in many cases they are useless. Manned mostly by volunteers the advice is only as good as the person you speak to.

I am both an employee of and volunteer at Citizens Advcie. I've now read this several times and bitten my lip. I can do so no longer.

Would you care to exemplify how 'in many cases they are useless'?

Edited by Bromptonaut on 28/07/2018 at 18:48