What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda Civic Saloon - New tyre tread depth - Bwatman

Can anyone help me with new tyre tread depth?

On 15th May 2018 I had four new tyres fitted by KWICKFIT to my honda (205/55R 16 Michelin Crossclimate +)

today 30th May 2018 the car went for a sevice and the tyre tread depths were noted at

Front L = 6.99mm, Front Right = 4.52mm, Rear Right = 6.52mm, Rear Left =6.82mm

The car is a 13 reg, 44,000mls, I am retired and do low milage so what do you think is going on in 15 days?

Have I been done by Kwickfit? and what should I do next.

Honda Civic Saloon - New tyre tread depth - daveyjp
First only use Kwikfit if there really is no other choice.

Second measure them yourself.
Honda Civic Saloon - New tyre tread depth - gordonbennet

I suspect the low tread reading the fitter just happened to have put the depth gauge on the raised low tread marker.

Notice how we've lost 1mm off tyres recently, they were nearly always 8mm (or more for all terrain tyres) but now many are 7mm to start with.

Edited by gordonbennet on 30/05/2018 at 18:32

Honda Civic Saloon - New tyre tread depth - skidpan

Why not buy a tread depth gauge and check them yourself, not expensive. I would suggest that the person who checked yours was either blind or mad, possibly both.

Honda Civic Saloon - New tyre tread depth - John F

Why not buy a tread depth gauge and check them yourself, not expensive. I would suggest that the person who checked yours was either blind or mad, possibly both......

.......and sadly the true rip-off here is that you were probably being charged around £100 per hour for his diligent incompetence. I trust the door hinges were lubricated. Check the oil level (assuming replaced) is not above the max mark.