What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda CR-V Suzuki Vitara - Honda CRV or save cash on a Vitara? - PhilRW
I’ve been looking for a suitable family car for the last few months and have now seen two cars which I think might fit my requirements..

The first is a Honda CR-V 1.6 SR automatic, 65 plate with 20k miles. It’s a nice, plush feeling motor which drives smoothly with nice auto box and bags of space.

Alternatively, I could save myself £3500/4000 on the same year and mileage 1.4 booster jet Suzuki Vitara. (Auto)

They are a similar type spec but there’s no doubt that the Honda feels a lot more car for the money. The extra space is a big bonus but I could possibly live without it. I’ve got two young kids and play a bit of golf so predominantly I need enough space to carry the appropriate equipment which the vitara just about does at a pinch.

I easily do enough millers to justify a diesel but the petrol Vitara is a big appeal.

Overall I can’t help but feel the Honda easily justifies the extra cash but there is the niggling doubt about the Diesel engine which Honda are now phasing out. Does the sound like a sensible decision or would anyone try and convince me otherwise?

A final curve ball option is a Hyundai i30 1.4 auto 18 plate pre reg. it’s a top of the range version which comes in at the same price (few hundred cheaper) than the used Honda. It’s a car I like the look of (haven’t driven as yet) The boot is slightly bigger than the Vitaras but it isn’t as practical as the higher and flush loading positions in the other two for a young family.
Honda CR-V Suzuki Vitara - Honda CRV or save cash on a Vitara? - Avant

You need to drive all these as they are quite different cars. I had an automnatic i30 as a loan car when I took my daughter's i10 for servicing: perfectly adequate but in no way was it an exciting drive.

I haven't tried a Vitara 1.4 but by all accounts it's much better to drive than most SUVs. Only you can tell whether it's got enough room for your children and stuff. I'm surprised that the boot is smaller than the i30's.

There should be people along soon who have experience of the CR-V: I can't remember any adverse comments about its reliability, even the diesel.

Honda CR-V Suzuki Vitara - Honda CRV or save cash on a Vitara? - daveyjp

One of those where you need to get a good test drive in both and decide which works for you.

With such a difference in price Suzuki have to save money somewhere and you may find the fit and finish and build quality is not up there with Honda.

A colleague has a Vitara and the first thing I noticed compared to my Forester was how light the doors were. This suggests less material in the body structure and this may result in a noisier ride. Seats may also be of lower quality and less comfortable.

We recently considered a Suzuki Swift against a Yaris - both were similar age, spec and price, but we preferred the interior fit and finish of the Yaris, the extra warranty was also worth having.

As I mentioned Toyota you may want to look at the Rav 4 to confuse you further!

Honda CR-V Suzuki Vitara - Honda CRV or save cash on a Vitara? - gordonbennet

CRV will probably stand the test of time and family use better than the Suzuki, helped no end by the extra space and they are well put together, the bonus will be when it comes to depreciation.

Son and family are on their second, this one a 13 plate petrol manual, breakdowns unheard of, the 05 plate Diesel was starting to show its age though never failed them, the 13 plate is as expected bomb proof and a nice place to be when travelling.

Isn't it still early days for the boosterjet for evaluating long term durability reputation?

Honda CR-V Suzuki Vitara - Honda CRV or save cash on a Vitara? - MGspannerman

I recently checked out both these vehicles when making a recent change, also my brother has the Suzuki 1.4 but in manual form. Firstly the Civic is only available in auto form with the petrol engine. Having said that the Honda diesel is renowned as one of the most reliable and economical so I would not be concerned on that point. However I went for a petrol, not a Civic, due to dieselgate. The Civic estate is enormous but the view from the rear windows is a little claustrophobic which may not be helpful with young children on a long journey for example. One of ours tended to get car sick. The Suzuki is on the smaller end of the SUV spectrum, but with good usable space and the engine is very good, giving something over 40mpg and perhaps ever so slightly better than the Honda petrol.

Are you sure that you can get a Suzuki 1.4 auto for 3.5-4k less than the 65 reg Honda?? A 2015 Honda auto runs out at at 9k+ with another 1k or so for the estate, whilst the cheapest Suzuki 1.4 auto on autotrader is 16k and they are only availbale from 66 reg onwards.

My brother likes his Suzuki but he is in the trade and got it for a very low price. He reckons the build quality is not that great and the prices remain high due to the popularity of the 1.4 boosterjet engine, the 1.6 petrols are very stodgy but much cheaper. He certainly would not pay the sort of money they retail for. Having looked hard at both cars my choice would undoubtedly be the Honda.

Having said that when I eventually made my decision I actually bought an Avensis estate with the 1.8 petrol engine and auto box. My reason being that it offered slightly better value, was more accommodating to rear seat passengers, has bullet proof user experience and feedback, and I have an excellent Toyota dealer nearby. I have no reason to regret my purchase, a 65 reg Business Plus, and enjoy the car that I anticipate keeping for some time.

Honda CR-V Suzuki Vitara - Honda CRV or save cash on a Vitara? - MGspannerman

Apologies - I read the OP incorrectly. I mistook the CRV for the CivIc. I will go and get some more tea and struggle into the day...

Honda CR-V Suzuki Vitara - Honda CRV or save cash on a Vitara? - PhilRW
Thanks for the replies.

I have had short drives in the Honda and Suzuki. The Honda is nice and smooth but I do a few 70 mile drives a week on VERY windy A and B roads which is where the Vitara scores along with the appeal of turbo petrol engine.

The Honda is ultimately a nicer place to be sitting though which is why I’m probably about to fork out the extra money on it.

I haven’t driven the Hyundai though I have tried the 2017 Kia Ceed which has the same DCT box which I was impressed with. The appeal of the i30 is getting a brand new car with good warranty. On paper the 1.4 turbo petrol mated with smooth DCT sounds promising but i obviously need to test it. It is moving away from the practicality benefits of the higher riding alternatives I’m considering though.
Honda CR-V Suzuki Vitara - Honda CRV or save cash on a Vitara? - sandy56

I have run the CRV auto for about a year now and it is one of my favourite cars. Very useful vehicle for a family as it can hold a lot of gear.

Honda CR-V Suzuki Vitara - Honda CRV or save cash on a Vitara? - sandy56

I have run the CRV auto for about a year now and it is one of my favourite cars. Very useful vehicle for a family as it can hold a lot of gear.

Honda CR-V Suzuki Vitara - Honda CRV or save cash on a Vitara? - SLO76
I’ve been running a CRV 1.6 DTEC SE-T for the last three and a half years and find it an excellent big family wagon. High points are the space, high quality interior and the outstanding economy for such a big car with regular longer runs exceeding 60mpg and a typical average of 56mpg.

The only real downside is the lack of driver appeal, it really is a bland big thing to pilot but then who buys a large SUV for fun? It’s a relaxing big thing, excellent to be driven in and it really suits an autobox rather than the manual which often suffers from clutch judder when cold.

The only problem is that the auto only comes with either the flaccid 2.0 petrol or the expensive 1.6 twin turbo diesel which comes only with 4wd which adds weight and dramatically worsens fuel economy plus although I have faith in Honda, twin turbo engines are more complex and previous examples of using this route to boost power have never been that reliable in the longterm. Saab/Fiat 1900 ttid and BMW’s 335/535d being the latest two I can think of, neither of which proved robust.

For most owners the 1.6 single turbo diesel would suffice with an auto and would be much cheaper to buy and run. I would have one. As for the Vitara well it’s a good little car but in another league for quality and space so it’s hard to compare. I don’t think the styling works either unlike the big Honda which is quite handsome. There’s always going to be demand for an auto CRV too so resale should be ok as long as you don’t overpay now bearing in mind a new model is imminent.

I’m in two minds on how to replace ours. I do less mileage now and fancy an older petrol estate car as a family hack but swmbo wants a bit of luxury and safety. A used Volvo XC90 is her favourite so far but means digging deep into the coin jar and accepting the diesel fear.

Edited by SLO76 on 17/04/2018 at 15:59

Honda CR-V Suzuki Vitara - Honda CRV or save cash on a Vitara? - ninjag

I'd go for the EX spec even if it means getting a slighter higher mileage one. The 2.0 petrol auto is very refined and near silent. The 2.2 iDTEC can be quite loud with the windows down and a fair amount of turbo lag, although easily sorted with a remap. There's quite a few reported DPF problems with the 1.6 diesel, some will blame the driver but the 2.2 diesel doesn't seem to have the same problems.

I had an autodata subscription and looked up the Vitara as I was considering one myself but there are a lot of TSBs. The CRV had a few but it was mainly just software updates required.

The CRV 2.0 petrol is n/a but it can still shift when you put the loud pedal to the floor or pop it in sport mode - it's just more linear without that misleading diesel shove. Turbos are more complex with more to go wrong with repairs usually being quite expensive.

Honda CR-V Suzuki Vitara - Honda CRV or save cash on a Vitara? - KB.

Old thread - but here goes anyway.

Am I missing something? The Pros and cons on the HJ review has a list of red crosses as long as your arm. And this is a Honda we're talking about.

Why so?