Your car / my Renault 1.5 diesel mark 2 cc - Clutch vs MPG - 333transport
Hi,have just bought Renault Megan 1.5 diesel 06.
Looking to get max mpg,averaging 58.
Selecting 6 gear at 30mph,revs just over 1000.
Do you think I'm gaining a bit more mpg at expense of potential clutch failure.
P.s any gradient down to 5 gear.
Your thoughts please.
Your car / my Renault 1.5 diesel mark 2 cc - Clutch vs MPG - skidpan
Hi,have just bought Renault Megan 1.5 diesel 06. Looking to get max mpg,averaging 58. Selecting 6 gear at 30mph,revs just over 1000. Do you think I'm gaining a bit more mpg at expense of potential clutch failure. P.s any gradient down to 5 gear. Your thoughts please.

If you need to ask why are you driving? Any engine (and transmission) will be vibrating itself to destruction at those revs. The DMF will be doing far more work than its designed to and at about £1000 a go to change its false economy to try and save a thimblr of fuel. Anyomne with mechanical sympathy will know the best change point without resorting to dashboard idiot lights or simple but pointless rules.

For the record my petrol would be doing about 1000 rpm at 30 in 6th and the engine is far smoother than any diesel. But at 30 I drive in 4th gear max since its simply the correct gear for that speed and has been in most cars I have owned. The wifes Nissan petrol needs 3rd at 30 mph to feel happy.

Your car / my Renault 1.5 diesel mark 2 cc - Clutch vs MPG - gordonbennet

I think 1000 rpm is too low for the typical modern 4 cyl Diesel car engine, as a rough guide the point where the turbo starts to spool up is a nice rev band, which i would imagine is around the 1500/1800 rpm band on you car.

Older Diesels with swirl chambers and mechanical injectors would happily lug right down to those revs (i've had lorries where the turbo was coming on stream at 800 rpm), but modern smaller Diesels are not happy at such extremely low revs, it doesn't do the transmission any good either.

Gordon Bennet thanks for reply and advice.
Steady on Charlie.Play nicely.
I have mechanical sympathy.
There is no vibration,
Diesel has more pull than petrol.
Diesel has more pull than petrol.

Not a modern turbo petrol. Had several turbo diesels in the past (1600cc to 2000cc) and a modern turbo petrol is far smoother with much less lag.

Try one.

And the mpg is nearly as good in the real world. Best diesel mpg we have had has been 50 mpg from a 1600 turbo over 5 years of ownership. Wifes current petrol (supercharged) is just a quick as the 1600 TD and has averged 48 mpg over 3 years.

Skid pan I am a skin flint,I don't tend to spend much on cars 600 pound max ,but whilst your mpg figures are good,my old polo 1 litre ,I use to get 45mpg,without all the complexity,more to go wrong,bought car at 100 000, died at 175 000.
Skid pan I am a skin flint,I don't tend to spend much on cars 600 pound max ,but whilst your mpg figures are good,my old polo 1 litre ,I use to get 45mpg,without all the complexity,more to go wrong,bought car at 100 000, died at 175 000.

But the cars we had were far bigger and faster than a one litre Polo and would carry more people/luggage over great distances in comfort.

A modern small petrol city car will do way more than 45 mpg, its called progress.