What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford focus cmax 1.8 duratec - Live data - Steve Dickinson

Hi all my first post. Having trouble with above car. Hesitates when accelerating and revs up to 3k rpm when changing gear. No error codes but on live data it's showing 12% throttle position at idle. I've seen on some YouTube videos they were were at 0%. What reading should I be getting?

Ford focus cmax 1.8 duratec - Live data - Cyd

Don't pay too much attention to the throttle position - this depends very much on where the 0% base line is. In my book, it is 0% when the throttle plate is firmly shut, but some take it as base idle position (hence 0% at idle).

Instead, what is the MAF (in g/s) and fuel flow (in cc/min)? I'd expect around 20 and 4 resp.

In your service history, when was the last time the fuel filter changed? A partially blocked filter can cause this issue. Take a look at my video - that filter was defo the cause of some rough running in my son's Polo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aZLTbG993Y&t=9s

There are of course other potential causes, such as a failing CoP unit or plugs, coked up valves, dirty air filter etc etc etc. Until you can confirm the basics are good, anythin else we come up with is pure guesswork.

Thank you for your reply, the car was totally neglected by the previous owners and wasn't serviced regular enough. I have changed the oil and filters when I got the car but not the fuel filter. I will run live data again and see what readings I get that you mentioned and keep you posted.

Quick update on the fuel filter, I have been to the the car parts shop and they tell me that this is a lifetime part! Even the salesman was surprised it is a lifetime part!

Ford focus cmax 1.8 duratec - Live data - elekie&a/c doctor
Don’t quite understand the post.Are you saying it will not rev above 3000 rpm?

Yes it will rev above 3k, what I'm trying to say is every time I change gear it's as though I'm not taking my foot off the accelerator when I press the clutch pedal to change gear and the revs briefly jump up to 3k and then drop steadily to idle.