Any - After market warranties. - argybargy

About eight years ago, I bought an aftermarket mechanical breakdown warranty to cover our car and have had it ever since. Over that time it's probably cost me 2 grand in premiums, and I’ve claimed on two occasions, for different cars, a total of about 100 quid after deduction of the excess of £75. I understand the principle of insurance, in that you pay the premiums for peace of mind, hoping meanwhile never to make a claim, so it’s not meant to be an investment. The claims procedure on those two occasions was straightforward, and there was no quibble about the work.

As some on here will know, I bought a Ford B Max back in July; the one with the notorious Powershift gearbox. I’ve since discovered that Ford extended the warranty on the car and the gearbox to five years, so the car is covered for faults till next June. Additionally, the garage where I bought the car has given me 12 months parts and labour warranty up to a limit of 500 quid per claim.

Our finances are tight and the only bit of slack I could find in order to absorb other expenses was that after market warranty. So I’ve cancelled it, but somehow and despite having the other warranties it feels like I’ve just put my comfort blanket in the bin.

I have posted about this in the past, but the difference now is that I've made a decision and the warranty has gone.

The point of the above waffle is this: do fellow forum users think that after market warranties are worth the cost, or is it better, as some would have it, to put that money aside and save it towards any future expenses/ mishaps?

Edited by argybargy on 05/09/2017 at 10:56

Any - After market warranties. - SLO76
Remember that Ford will only honour that extended gearbox warranty if the car has a full Ford main dealer service history. If a non-franchise garage has touched it you'll be high and dry.
Any - After market warranties. - RT

IMO, it comes down to two things - how well do you feel about uncertainty - how would you manage financially if you had to take a big cost hit.

The irony of human nature is that those who could afford to absorb a big hit are probably more likely to use an extended warranty - while those who couldn't afford a big hit often can't afford the premiums for a warranty either.

For the latter group, theres is no simple better way

Any - After market warranties. - gordonbennet

There's only two types of warranty i would bother with or expect to fix a problem properly.

1 is a makers new or approved used warranty

2 is the gut feeling i get about a car dealer who has been in place for a long time and doesn't issue or attempt to sell you an aftermarket warranty, where they themselves have to put right anything (within reason depending on age price etc) that goes wrong, one dealer i know who works like this changes every single cambelt before the car leaves his premises (unless he can be sure its been done recently) and makes sure the car is serviced and all levels etc checked,

An warranty with a £500 or even a £1000 limit isn't really worth having these days when an engine could well be nearing 5 figures and a gearbox posibly around £4000 if it's kaput.

I'd rather invest the cost of a bought warranty into buying a seemingly better car to begin with and maintaining it to the nth degree during its life with me, also avoiding the usual suspect makers who don't admit responsbility for their failures and treat their new, let alone used, customers poorly, hedges your bets substantially.

Cheers for the replies.

This is the first Ford we've had any doubts about, although its a shame those doubts didn't surface (or rather its a shame I didn't do the right research) before I bought it. Outside any hidden concerns about the gearbox its been enjoyable to drive so far.

The matter as to whether I personally can take a big financial hit is a no brainer: I can't. If I didn't have the cushion of the garage warranty and the extended Ford gearbox cover, I would have retained the aftermarket policy. During ownership of the other cars we've had over the last eight years we did have the peace of mind it provided, although as said above we only needed it twice, and then for minor works.

As for whether Ford will honour the gearbox warranty if the servicing isn't up to date, or if it is up to date but non Ford parts have been used, there's a degree of pot luck involved, so I'm told. It depends to some extent whether the question is asked. If any work needs doing then there may be a charge, there may not be. If they reject the warranty claim then of course I'll be turning to the garage for help, bearing in mind that 500 quid is unlikely to go far.

The car was a Motability vehicle, and was serviced by Ford for the initial warranty period of three years, so personally I can't imagine there'll be a problem. However, I have just under a year to make a claim, if needs be, and find out.

Edited by argybargy on 05/09/2017 at 14:45

Any - After market warranties. - SLO76
"The car was a Motability vehicle, and was serviced by Ford for the initial warranty period of three years, so personally I can't imagine there'll be a problem. However, I have just under a year to make a claim, if needs be, and find out."

It's a no brainer. If you have continued that main dealer history then they'll honour it, if you haven't then they won't. Ford will verify the history before forking out for any repairs let alone major gearbox work. They're notoriously strict regarding the terms of warranties and goodwill is all too often lacking. A quick search around regarding Powershift gearbox problems and 1.0 Ecoboost engine failure will reveal loads of cases of owners left with massive bills because of non-franchise maintenance.

On complex cars like this you must maintain a dealer service record. Joe backstreet mechanic has no clue what they're doing with complex modern motors and gearboxes.

Edited by SLO76 on 05/09/2017 at 14:57

Thanks for that.

There's no record of any repairs, major or otherwise, carried out so far by Ford or anyone else. The car was registered in 2013, the dealership carried out a 12 month service in 2014 and a 24 month service in 2015, then they finished off with MOT and paintwork inspection last year at the end of the three years.

Nothing since except an oil change by the garage that I bought it from, which has been stamped in the book.

I suppose the question is whether, when they continued the gearbox warranty for an extra two years, Ford added a requirement that during those two extra years servicing by themselves should remain mandatory in order to authorise any warranty claims, as it was in the first three years.

Any - After market warranties. - gordonbennet

If it were my car Argybargy, i'd be scouring the relevant make specific forums for a good while, and would get the gearbox oil changed at the very least, the forums should be good for finding out any early warning signs of trouble or inherant faults that a simple bit of preventative work might help prevent...ie some electronic gearboxes of other makes have been prone to wicking oil up into the wiring or gearbox ecu, if you find out early enough easily and relatively cheaply prevented.

I'd rather invest a few £hundred in good maintenance than risk the alternative.

And yes i do put my money where my mouth is, my Landcruiser is approaching 100k miles and later on this month when i have a week off it goes into the Diesel workshops to get the injector readings read and if need be have them overhauled, the results of bad injectors on these can be split pistons and wrecked engines, i'd rather spend £800 on this (hopefully overhaul not needed) than £8000 on a new engine.

Thanks, GB.

From what I can gather, Ford has a set procedure for addressing Powershift problems, starting with software updates, module replacements and going onto clutch pack replacements and perhaps even (though I've yet to hear of this one) entire gearbox renewal.

It seems unclear/ unknown as to whether this is an electrical or mechanical issue, but I have heard talk of oil leaking through seals and contamining clutch linings, thus causing the notorious judder.

At the first sign of trouble with mine, I'll be down to my Ford dealer for advice. If they prove unhelpful, if the problem isn't critical and therefore in need of attention before offloading and if I've had the car for a sufficient period of time to make the transaction feasible, I'll be taking it back to the dealer for part exchange.

Any - After market warranties. - Andrew-T

The point of the above waffle is this: do fellow forum users think that after market warranties are worth the cost, or is it better, as some would have it, to put that money aside and save it towards any future expenses/ mishaps?

At the end of the day it boils down to whether you are a betting man. The most likely outcome is that you will spend more on the warranty than you get back - as you clearly did with your previous car. If you feel more comfortable with a steady drain of resources than a big hit, carry on. But the warranty companies don't lose money, their clients do, by definition.

The alternative strategy is to put the premiums into your own private pot, and when the van goes to its next owner after years of trouble-free service, spend your pot on something nice.

Many thanks for the reply.

Yes, there's a large element of chance as to whether proceeding without a warranty works out in your favour, but as is said above you can eliminate some risk by doing your research and paying for a better vehicle in the first place.

Similar advice is offered about, for example, home emergency cover and after market warranties for household appliances. Instead of buying a warranty, put the cash aside, hope that there are no problems during early ownership and meanwhile accumulate a pot of money to deal with breakdowns if they come along.

Obviously this doesn't work in all cases, because some breakdowns are crippingly expensive and it would take a long time for some people to set aside that kind of money.

Anyway my aftermarket warranty has gone, and if nothing goes wrong in the next few months I will have saved a little bit of cash. If something does go wrong and Ford won't pay, it might get interesting.

Just to finish, I'm sure its as plain as the nose on anyone's face that the motive for starting this thread was reassurance that in my own particular circumstances, dropping the aftermarket warranty was the right decision.

Since doing so I've checked reviews on the company and they ain't good, although that comes with the usual proviso where reviews are concerned that "if the experience is good, you're less likely to bother logging into a review site and saying so".

I find myself in a position where I had to make a financial choice that I'd rather not have made, but needs must. Its a decision that I probably should have made a long time ago, but somehow it still feels like a leap into unknown territory.

Thanks again for all contributions.