What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
BMW 5 Series - 2017 5 Series Review - Cluedo

Reading reviews recently on the new 5 series - looks like it is going straight back to the top of the class. I d like the way that BMW are able to combine both handling and comfort, a trait that seems to be unachievable by Audi and Mercedes although to a lesser extent in that MB deliberatley set out for mainly comfort with the E class.

One thing I wish journalists would stop saying about BMW is that their cars are always evolutionary. That is a well known fact in the motor industry that BMW evolve and just continue to make things better rather than start from scratch. A colleague of mine worked for BMW in Munich and it was standard practice. He was even told that is why the cars were codnamed with an E prefice (E39 etc.) as the E was all about evolution an dtaking things and just making them better and better. It is staggering how ill informed the majority of motoring journalists are in the autocar and autoexpress field - but then I suppose most of them are just kids anyway.

Evolution is something that has clearly worked for BMW as they are always some of the best engineeered cars out their in my humble opinion, alongside Honda, Subaru, Mazda and Toyota - again in my humble opinion - and I am not reffering to the type of engineering that aims to give a whiff of engineering by coating handles in rubber or damping switches.

BMW 5 Series - 2017 5 Series Review - RobJP

I can say that the current model (F30/F31) 3 series is a huge improvement in refinement, space and ergonomics over the 'old' E90/E91 series.

That's not to say that the E90s were poor. They were perfectly nice places to be. But the F3x series are as close to perfection as I've owned in a car.

Put it this way : I've always been a serial car changer. But I've now had the F31 3 years, and have no intention of changing it. It's that good.

BMW 5 Series - 2017 5 Series Review - daveyjp
My only experience is a 3 series GT on a test drive. For a company which gets such rave reviews about design I was disappointed that I couldn't raise the seat while sat in it and the steering wheel obscured the dash. The second one in particular is basic stuff.

BMW 5 Series - 2017 5 Series Review - RobJP

1. Not being able to raise the seat while sitting in it, that's ridiculous, it's easy. Both myself and my wife drive our car, and there's about 8" difference in height between us. If she's been driving the car I reach in for the fore/aft mover and shift the seat backwards before I get in, then once sitting I just lift the seat about an inch. Takes moments.

2. The steering wheel moves up, down, in and out, as standard on all BMWs. Once again, both of us (5'11" and 5'3" tall) have no problems at all.