What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Mondeo Estate - 2nd Hand Estate buying guide - Annoyed Renault
Hi All,

Leaving my job shorty and handing back my company car (Outlander Phev). New company does not offer a company car scheme but is paying a sign on bonus that will leave me with 6,000 after tax to buy a new car, don't want any finance.

I will be commuting for 1.5 hours a day on mostly dual carriage ways and motorways, only a little on country roads. Need an estate as lots of boot room needed for 2 kids stuff, bikes etc... and we do a lot of camping.

I have been looking at the Mondeo or Insignia diesel estates as seems to meet requirements of efficiency and space.

Any advice on buying, can get a zetec Mondeo for this price, mostly 10-61 plates with 70-100k miles on the clock with FSH. Any ideas on pitfalls with these, big expensive services or parts replacement coming up?

Not sure whether to go with the 10 plates with the 70k miles or the 61 plates with 90-100k miles?

Any help or advice greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Will
Ford Mondeo Estate - 2nd Hand Estate buying guide - Avant

My younger son has a wife and 3yo twins none of whom travel light, and they are on their second Mondeo estate: lots of room and no major problems.

I'd suggest going for a 2.0TDCI (given the length of your commute) that's done 8,000 - 12,000 miles a year - not too many, not too few - and of course FSH.

Fords are better to drive than Vauxhalls and in general I think their reliability record is better. Look on the car-by-car reviews on this site for more information.

The Skoda Superb is the only real competitor for the Mondeo in terms of space: a good car but avoid one with DSG.

Ford Mondeo Estate - 2nd Hand Estate buying guide - S40 Man

I have an 08 reg Mondeo 2.0 tdci estate. I travel 70 miles a day on motorway and country roads. It's a nice car, handles and drives OK and boot is massive. Car is quite wide which takes some getting used to. Overall I'm pleased with it. It on 171k now and no major mechanical drama. Needed new serpentine belt and power steering fluid needs changing every now and then but pretty good. I get 50- 55 mpg

Cheers for the advice. I wasn't certain about the 2.0l as a lot of reviews say the 1.6 engines have enough pull for motorway driving with the newer mondeo's but didn't seem right to me as a 1.6 is still a 1.6 at the end of the day.

Only reason, and correct me if I'm wrong, I'm still not sure about the 1.6 is I can pick up a 61 plate 71k mile 1.6 zetec estate with FSH for £6,000 which is in excellent condition. A 11 plate 2.0l with 89k is the same price so more miles and older...?

Cheers
Will
Ford Mondeo Estate - 2nd Hand Estate buying guide - Graham567

The 2.0l diesel is the one to go for.The 1.8 is old and noisy and i have been told the 1.6 has had problems.The 2.0 has no inherent problems and will do starship miles.Taxi firms run them for a reason.Avoid the Insignia at all costs.The build quality is dire and things are forever going wrong on them.

Edited by Graham567 on 18/09/2016 at 17:31

Ford Mondeo Estate - 2nd Hand Estate buying guide - SLO76
Forget the PSA 1.6 diesel, it's notorious for turbocharger failure. All too often the blades break up and are ingested by the engine which kills it. Loads of tales of woe online regarding this engine. The 2.0 is a much better bet and even the rattly old 1.8 can cover mileage but all suffer the usual modern diesel issues regarding particulate filter and dual mass flywheel which can fail as early as 60,000 miles, though many report much longer lives, usually drivers who do more long distance driving than stop start. I know a number of taxi drivers that've went through 3 in 150k.

Personally though I'd be looking at spending a bit more and buying something younger with less mileage, it'll save you money in the long run. Last of the line previous shape Mondeos with low mileages are great value right now. VW Passat, Toyota Avensis 2.0d and Honda Accord 2.2d Tourer are also good long lived options and the Vauxhall Astra Estate with the Isuzu 1.7 diesel is another and a far better longterm prospect than the Fiat engined Insignia.
Ford Mondeo Estate - 2nd Hand Estate buying guide - craig-pd130

The Mondeo is an excellent family barge, surprisingly fun to drive and limo levels of space. I had a 2.0TDCI (140bhp) for over 3 years and it was faultless.

If I remember right the cambelt service interval is 108K miles or 8 years, I would check before you buy. DPFs are robust and your usage pattern should be fine.

FWIW, don't expect super economy. It's a big heavy car, and the 2.0 PSA diesel isn't noted for being frugal. I averaged 42.5mpg in my ownership (genuine, measured at the pumps) although you'll probably exceed that as you generally do much longer journeys than I do.

Hi All,

Cheers for the replies, just thought I would chuck something else into the mix. Any real difference between the pre facelift mk4 and the facelift version (with the drl etc...).

Can get much lower mileage if I swap over to the pre facelift model, 07-09/10 plate.

Cheers
Will

Edit: budget is now fixed at 6k and under, had a few sudden surprises I now have to deal with.

Edited by Annoyed Renault on 02/10/2016 at 11:46

Believe it's mostly cosmetic aside from the introduction of ecoboost 1.6 & 2.0 turbo petrol engines which are genuinely good news. The 1.6 will hit 40mpg, has plenty of go, no DPF to worry about and is likely to be a much more durable engine than the terrible 1.6 PSA diesel which should be avoided at all costs. If you must have a diesel the 2.0 is the only option but also prone to costly DPF and DMF problems.

Auto Trader #DrivenByMe
www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20160617501...3

Edited by SLO76 on 02/10/2016 at 12:11

Ford Mondeo Estate - 2nd Hand Estate buying guide - iFocus

Have you considered any other vehicles other than the Mondeo or Insignia?

As at your budget you can get a Hyundai i40, probably 11-12 plate with around 60,000 on the clock. They're a decent car and the 1.7 diesel engine is a pretty robust motor!

Hi All,

Thanks for your help.

So as far as I can see the centre console area and the front body work are the only differences between them (except for the addition of the eco petrol engines).

I have had a look at other models but the Mondeo just seems to come up at the top of the list as the market appears to almost be flooded with them (guessing from 3 -5 years ago as ex fleet cars).

My only criteria are estate (ideally diesel) and <£6k, I am really not fussy.

Cheers
Will

If you go for an older Mondeo make sure it's after 09 plate.The earlier ones had design problems(water dripping in the boot when opening it) and they fixed alot of the problems by then.I have the Titanium X on a 59 plate and its been a pleasure to own.It has heated seats,a electric heater for blowing hot air into the cabin in winter until the engine warms up.Heated windscreen and heated washer jets.Cornering lights that really do help at night and power folding wing mirrors for peace of mind when parking.The 2.0 TDCI is still the pick of the bunch.You won't regret it.

Cheers for that.

Put that in to the search and produced a 12 plate titanium x with 123k miles for £5970.

It was last serviced at 115k miles so needs a service in a little bit and correct me if I am wrong but cambelt, tensioner, flywheel and clutch would all need looking at with this sort of mileage.

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20160801638...8

I would say with 1 owner from new at that mileage, it must have been all motorway mileage to rack that up...

Any thoughts, I would have expected it to be around the 10 ish plate for that sort of price.

Cheers for all your help and when I do pick it up I will make sure I share my experiences with you all, maybe make this the definitive 2nd hand Ford thread.

Cheers
Will

I was thinking something more like this.

tinyurl.com/jomww2o

If you really must go for a diesel then I'd go for a lower spec car with half the mileage for similar money. There's a few 2.0 TDCi Edge Estates with around 60k on for around £6k. They've everything you need but have less to go wrong and a hell of a lot more life left than a motor with 120k.
Auto Trader #DrivenByMe
www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20160713581...4

Edited by SLO76 on 02/10/2016 at 18:06

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all this, saw the 09 plate but then remembered the problems suggested which made me think needs to be a 59 plate.

I hate this car hunting malarkey.

Cheers
Will

P.S. Mods, sorry if your not allowed to post autotrader links, all my fault :)
Ford Mondeo Estate - 2nd Hand Estate buying guide - S40 Man

Mondeo edge only have steel wheels and a bit of a duff stereo, but everything else is good. zetec might have stiffer/sportier suspension but the edge trusses OK anyway.