What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Audi A3 Sportback - Parked car hit by another driver... - OpportunityKnox

Wondering if anyone might have any views/advice/anything on the following...

I parked my car at the side of the road on Friday night and someone hit it. The car was parked legally, I was not in the vehicle and the other driver has accepted full responsibility. It was a 2015 plate Audi A3 and the garage reckon it may be a write off as the driver has actually pushed the front left tyre towards the back of the car but "can't confirm until we've informed the insurance companies". The other drivers insurance have paid for us to get a hire car until we either get a courtesy car from the garage repairing or until we settle negotiations if it's a write off. We have £20,200 outstanding on the finance and the value of the car when we purchased it (and added on all of our amazing extras!) was around £27,000. Has anyone ever had this sort of situation before? If your car was written off, did the other party's insurance pay off the remaining finance or should I expect to be offered a terrible settlement and have to pay off the remainder myself? I'm terrified that we're going to be majorly out of pocket :(

I'm insured through Diamond and the other driver through Admiral so it's being dealt with as an in-house claim. Not sure if that's better or worse but I'm not feeling very hopeful!

Edited by OpportunityKnox on 28/06/2016 at 14:33

Audi A3 Sportback - Parked car hit by another driver... - RobJP

You are generally only entitled to 'market value' for your car if it is written off. As such, IF they tell you it's going to be a write-off, they then will then give you a figure. The best bet, in such a case, is to go onto autotrader, etc. and find similar cars and what they are for sale at, and negotiate from there if the offer from the insurance is low.

As to being out of pocket, yes, it can happen. Admittedly not much help now, but in future I'd recommend GAP insurance. Not from a dealer (where it is loaded with a big chunk of commision for the salesman), but from ALA or Frank Pickles.

When we bought a new Z4 last year we took out a 4 year GAP policy which cost about £250 for a £33k car.

Audi A3 Sportback - Parked car hit by another driver... - Palcouk

Any right off sum is 'replacement value' not your finance value, If you wanted full protection in any right off claim you should have taken out GAP insurance

Extras, when purchased have little impact on any sale value. Review prices via HJ cars for sale

Audi A3 Sportback - Parked car hit by another driver... - Falkirk Bairn

If you are the 1st owner of the car many insurers will replace the car with another brand new car of the same spec.

However you might not be the 1st owner, the car maybe over 12 months old or your insurer might not be one of those companies that offer the new car replacement in the 1st 12 months.

GAP insurance, which is derided by many of us, would have paid up the difference should the car be a write-off.

Audi A3 Sportback - Parked car hit by another driver... - SlidingPillar

As above, check your insurance policy here. Many insurance companies replace in the first year and at least two, do it for two years. NFU Mutual is one, but I can't recall who the other one is.