What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford fiesta 1.4 zetec - Back door import from Isle of Man - Fleabie36

Hi i am looking for any information regarding my car. I purchased 1 and 1/2 years ago, ford fiesta zetec 55 plate. It had very low miles and thought i had a bargain due to the person emigrating. I have had no problems insuring it, taxing it or anything else. Received a valuation from we buy any car.com for £1500 and went to the appointment for them to offer me £350 and informing me that it was a back door import from the Isle of Man.

Does this actually bring the value of the car down? and what does it actually mean being a backdoor import. I purchased it off a someone who had owned it for a few years and she had bought it from a garage in england. Please any information would be appreciated. Since receiving a company vehicle am i going to be stuck with this or losing out on a lot of money.

thanks in advance

Ford fiesta 1.4 zetec - Back door import from Isle of Man - RT

Any unofficial import will be valued lower on the used market as the trade is wary of them - some, but not all by a long way, have different specifications in their originally registered country.

Ford fiesta 1.4 zetec - Back door import from Isle of Man - focussed

It will be same specification as a uk car - that's why you had no trouble taxing it or insuring it.

Just stick it in your local paper and sell it privately.

Edited by focussed on 27/04/2016 at 17:07

Thanks for your reply, do you know what makes it an unofficial import, because when I put the reg in dvla vehicle checker states its registered 2013 so can it still be classes as unofficial import??

The Isle Of Man is not in the United Kingdom or the UK - it's a Crown Dependency - when brought into the UK and re-registered with DVLA they will have required it's date of original registration and it will be dated as such, regardless of when it was subsequently brought in to the UK.

Where are cars that are supplied to dealers on the Isle of Man sourced from?

Ford Europe's various factories.

They probably travel through the UK on their way to IoM, just as those for Ireland do.

So really there should be no difference selling my car whether it was registered from new in IoM or UK, DVLA have registered here at a later date. Its a car that a right hand drive with a UK number plate. Do I need to advertise its first registration as IoM or not bother? Thanks for all the information.

Ford fiesta 1.4 zetec - Back door import from Isle of Man - pd

IoM cars are identical to UK ones - they just have a different style of number plate.

I can't imagine this will have any real effect on a 55-plate Fiesta value wise. Just advertise it as what it is, namely a 2005 Fiesta and if anyone queries the date of first registration in the UK just explain it.

IoM cars are identical to UK ones - they just have a different style of number plate.

I can't imagine this will have any real effect on a 55-plate Fiesta value wise. Just advertise it as what it is, namely a 2005 Fiesta and if anyone queries the date of first registration in the UK just explain it.

Being identical isn't the issue - it's how the trade perceives it.

If the OP were trading in against a newer car, I doubt it would be valued differently - but because it's just a sale into the trade, they'll use everything to get the car for as little as possible.

As posted up thread, selling it privately is probably the best way.

Thanks for all the advice, much appreciated.

Ford Europe's various factories.

They probably travel through the UK on their way to IoM, just as those for Ireland do.

Some cars imported to Ireland may have a kmh speedo - the speed limits in Ireland are displayed in kmh - but the signposts are in miles - only in Ireland, God love 'em-what a wonderful country!

There is apparently no compulsion in Ireland to have a speedo displaying kmh-it's entirely at the discretion of the importer.