What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Nissan Leaf Ford Modeo Lexus IS250 - 12k second hand commuter under 6k£ - drago

Hi, first time posting here. I find the site super informative, I read regularly since 2009.

Recently I changed jobs and my comute went up to 60 miles per day - say 12000 miles per year.

Can a Leaf do 12kmiles per year if I buy it with a 50kmiles old battery? After the AZ debacle seems that Nissan says 10kmiles is the upper yearly limit. I'd get a Leaf just because I can charge it for free, so within 3 years it pays for itself.

If the Leaf isn't OK I hesitate between a Mondeo 2.0TDCi and a Lexus IS250 automatic. What's your take? What kind of mileage I can reasonably find for 6k£? Primarily I want a very reliable car, running costs are secondary.

Cheers

Nissan Leaf Ford Modeo Lexus IS250 - 12k second hand commuter under 6k£ - daveyjp

There's someone on Youtube who has produced a few videos of life with a Leaf and I'm sure he's done about 15,000 miles in a year.

I drive one occassionally and I would happily do a 30 mile each way commute in one. Range from full charged is about 90 miles, in reality you'll probably get 70-80.

Nissan Leaf Ford Modeo Lexus IS250 - 12k second hand commuter under 6k£ - drago

It does seem there are those that have good range and / or good mileage, but there are those saying the battery degrades if used over X miles per year. If I buy a Leaf that already ran for 40kmiles, in 3 years I'll be close to 80kmiles. At that mileage, would the battery still do 70 miles in winter / motorway speed?

I'm anxious the answer to the question above is no. Hence the IS250 vs Modeo vs (maybe if reliable) BMW 3/E90

Nissan Leaf Ford Modeo Lexus IS250 - 12k second hand commuter under 6k£ - gordonbennet

If the battery is a fixed cost item, and i have no idea how much, then budget for that cost and you have another say 80k miles of 'free' motoring, even if its £3000 for a battery pack, by the time an equivalent sized Diesel has had a new DPF clutch DMF it won't be far out, should one of the modern dual clutch gearboxes spit its dummy out on top that £3k is going to look a bargain.

A couple of points to bear in mind, this free or relatively untaxed electricity isn't going to be forever, as electric cars gain popularity the govt tax take on fuel duty will drop, as always that will be put right be under no illusion once enough people have taken the bait.

Secondly the Leaf is more comparable in size to Focus/Astra/Ceed etc, so you arn't comparing apples with apples with the alternatives mentioned.

Nissan Leaf Ford Modeo Lexus IS250 - 12k second hand commuter under 6k£ - Oli rag

The Lexus IS250 would be my choice if as you say you're not concerned about running costs. Owners love the refinement, the quality and reliability are superb.

Real mpg is listed as 32, not sure if this is auto or manual.

Nissan Leaf Ford Modeo Lexus IS250 - 12k second hand commuter under 6k£ - slkfanboy

A new battery at £5000 would be bad new for many (and more than 3 years worth of petrol), and I dont think they sell many for this reason. Electric are not really main stream as there are to many issues. A plugin hybrid would make more sense if you do a reasonable amount of town driving.