Vauxhall Corsa (2015) - Electric grinding noise during ignition - AUDIO - mdp89

A few months ago I noticed what I can only describe as an electronic grinding noise coming from the car's engine area. It has absolutely no effect on the engine's performance, and seems to happen at random. A mechanic at a local Vauxhall dealer heard it, took the car in, and couldn't replicate the noise. I have worked out that it's not coming from the engine, because the noise occurs when the engine is off but the ignition is on. I finally managed to get a recording of it here (ignore the passing cars): https://youtu.be/U-3sIeS3L-o

Any idea what it might be? As I said, the performance of the car is completely unaffected, and it seems to happen at random. I'd be grateful for any advice, as I currently have no idea whether it's important or not!

Vauxhall Corsa (2015) - Electric grinding noise during ignition - AUDIO - focussed

Difficult to hear on that recording but the only thing that readily comes to mind is one of the headlamp adjustment motors doing it's own thing as they sometimes do without switching itself off.

Vauxhall Corsa (2015) - Electric grinding noise during ignition - AUDIO - Peter.N.

Yes, certainly sounds like a motor running, could be one of the heater servo motors, try altering the temperature or air distribution and see if that starts it.

Vauxhall Corsa (2015) - Electric grinding noise during ignition - AUDIO - mdp89

You hit the nail on the head. I've never touched the headlamp adjustment motor, but played with it today and it makes the exact same noise. Thanks for putting my mind at rest that it's not something critical... is there any reason why they would be doing this? Does it matter?

Vauxhall Corsa (2015) - Electric grinding noise during ignition - AUDIO - focussed

It depends what it's doing and why it's doing it- these motors should not run unless you are adjusting the headlamps using the dashboard control.

Unless there is some bizarre procedure that it is programmed to go through when starting the engine-who knows?