What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
2006 Ford Fiesta 1.25 Climate - Gear selection issue - countrabban

I had a problem with my gear selection,when putting the car in gear and shifting up and down the gears changed but seemed to "catch" so the selection wasn't smooth.Also the car was lurching when releasing the clutch.Doing my research i knew i needed a new clutch and sure enough the mechanic said the clutch was very worn and could have gone anytime.However the problem with the gear shift continues.The lurch has gone and the clutch is easy to enage and disengage but i still have the annoying catch in the gear selection.

Do i have another problem.I am not mechanically minded by looking around i see the whole gear system is very complicated and involves many parts and linkages.Could something else need attention in the gear box (it doesnt crunch in gears though) or is it the clutch?

2006 Ford Fiesta 1.25 Climate - Gear selection issue - Peter.N.

If the clutch isn't disengaging properly you will have difficulty getting it into gear with the engine running but should be OK when it isn't.

I suppose the mechanic topped the gearbox oil up after the replacement?

2006 Ford Fiesta 1.25 Climate - Gear selection issue - Cookie Monster

Hi

When the engine isn't running the gear change is not smooth it is smoother with the engine running using the clutch.it doesn't always seem to do it but it is mainly from 1 to 2 and then to 3.3 to 4 is mainly smooth.putting the car in first at a junction seems OK as well.

I am not motor minded so I have no idea what a clutch change entails I didn't realise any oil in the gear box would be lost

Edited by Cookie Monster on 13/12/2015 at 01:08

2006 Ford Fiesta 1.25 Climate - Gear selection issue - Peter.N.

If the gearbox has been removed as it would for a clutch change oil is lost when the driveshafts are taken out. if its still difficult to select the gears with the engine off I would suspect the gearchange cables need adjusting, it could be a gearbox problem but manual boxes are usually pretty well bombproof.