What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Lost rear Trade Plate - jeff80

I've lost my rear trade plate and the DVLA say I need to return my front plate to them to be able to get a replacement set... but... I can't afford to be without the plates whilst I wait for the replacements.

I have a mate who can make up a replacement back plate for me... the problem is that the text will be black instead of red... would the police stop me if I displayed a rear trade with black text instead of red?

Edited by jeff80 on 30/10/2015 at 19:50

Lost rear Trade Plate - gordonbennet

IIRC the rear plate has no issue plate on, the front plate has that, so in theory (well my theory warts and all) if you had a word with online plate makers who make stamped alloy plates, i'm fairly certain they could make you a single rear plate in the right colours.

Not suggesting this is a permanent solution , but it might be a better bet for the time being till you can get a new set via the official sources.

Lost rear Trade Plate - TedCrilly

Do trade plated show up on ANPR or PNC and arent they issued via DVLA aproved source only?

If you start showing them after reporting them as lost you may attract unwanted attention and find yourself having some rather awkward questions to answer.

Wouldnt it be better to go through the proper channels until such time as the issue is officialy resolved?

Lost rear Trade Plate - jeff80

Thanks for the replies... I haven't reported them as lost yet as I need to use them over the next couple of weeks... I think my only play here is to get another back plate made up for me as I can't afford to be without them for any amount of time at all really - and DVLA will probably have me waiting weeks for replacements!

Lost rear Trade Plate - jc2

You could have problems with making up a fake one if someone hands the original back in.

Lost rear Trade Plate - James bishoy
I know somebody in the trade that didn’t renew their trade plates but kept them. Obviously highly illegal but how would he get caught?