What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Drivers of larger cars 4x4's and crossovers. - Wackyracer

This evening I came face to face with a woman in a Porsche Cayenne. She decided she could not get through the gap between the van parked on my side of the road and so I passed the van and gave her some sign language to move to her left as she was almost 2 metres from the kerb (with her front wheels on full lock for some reason?) she then mouthed "I've got nowhere to go".

Why do people buy these cars if they are not capable of learning the size of them?

It reminded me of the time I saw someone trying to park a very large 4x4 in Cobham town centre and after much back and forth it was just abandoned at 45 degrees to the kerb with the rear wheel about a metre on the pavement.

Drivers of larger cars 4x4's and crossovers. - Smileyman

because they can afford to buy them, note I did say afford, and not 'skilled or capable' - life's a bummer at times - I do wonder if driving along a clear single carriageway A road, NSL, dry and daylight conditions whether they still go at just 40 or make use of the national speed limit and drive at 60?

Drivers of larger cars 4x4's and crossovers. - mss1tw

woman
Porsche Cayenne

I see the problem here.

Edited by mss1tw on 26/10/2015 at 21:43

Drivers of larger cars 4x4's and crossovers. - Andrew-T

woman
Porsche Cayenne

I see the problem here.

To be fair, the car was probably a present from overpaid and over-indulgent hubby/partner/boyfriend. Woman then had to come to terms with it - and clearly hasn't. Life can be hard for a WAG.

Drivers of larger cars 4x4's and crossovers. - Bolt

This evening I came face to face with a woman in a Porsche Cayenne. She decided she could not get through the gap between the van parked on my side of the road and so I passed the van and gave her some sign language to move to her left as she was almost 2 metres from the kerb (with her front wheels on full lock for some reason?) she then mouthed "I've got nowhere to go".

Why do people buy these cars if they are not capable of learning the size of them?

It reminded me of the time I saw someone trying to park a very large 4x4 in Cobham town centre and after much back and forth it was just abandoned at 45 degrees to the kerb with the rear wheel about a metre on the pavement.

Nothing new around my way, you should see them going through 7ft width restrictions that is a joke..

Drivers of larger cars 4x4's and crossovers. - madf

I travel a lot on country roads - single track with passing spaces. If no passing space near, mount the grass/muddy verge, Guess which cars never do?

4x4s.. usually new and gleaming and driven by people who are too superior/incompetent/thick to so so..

Drivers of larger cars 4x4's and crossovers. - skidpan

4x4s.. usually new and gleaming and driven by people who are too superior/incompetent/thick to so so..

About 4 or 5 winters ago we had really bad snow but the wife got to work and home fine in her Kia Ceed SW with winter tyres on it, about 11 miles each way. Most simply phoned in or went home at lunch.

A work colleague lives close to where the wife worked and his kiddies school is just round the corner from the wifes place, she passed it twice that very day. On this particular day the colleagues wife drove them to school in her brand new £48,000 4 x 4 only to find the school closed and had to abandon it in the partly cleared tarmac level car park stuck fast and walk home.

As you say, thick and incompetent. But still insists a 4 x 4 is needed for the school run despite it being about a mile away from home.

Drivers of larger cars 4x4's and crossovers. - galileo

As you say, thick and incompetent. But still insists a 4 x 4 is needed for the school run despite it being about a mile away from home.

Also lazy and contributing to congestion and the obesity epidemic. Should have their 4x4 confiscated for a month (or permanently).

I remember watching a TV program about children being driven to school. There was some ignoramous driving a large 4x4 who was complaining about a transit van being driven near the school and how dangerous it was for this huge transit to be near children walking on the pavement, when they questioned that his car was pretty much the same size he then went into more drivvel digging himself further into the hole he was already in by saying that was the reason he had to have this uber safe car for his children.

Drivers of larger cars 4x4's and crossovers. - RT

When I drove Cavaliers and an Astra, I noticed exactly the same - but since switching to SUVs I always move over - but only halfway if it's a SUV coming towards me, I make them put their nearside on the verge.

With non-SUVs coming towards me it depends - if they steam on expecting me to move over I don't but if they slow, as I have to to go on the verge, then I let them stay on the hard stuff.

But generally on narrow two-lane roads far too many drivers are too for from the kerb/verge when approaching others - regardless of what type of vehicle they use.

Drivers of larger cars 4x4's and crossovers. - gordonbennet

I think probably a large minority are driving cars too big for their competence, you only have to witness the parking at a typical supermarket or motorway service area to end up with involuntary head shaking syndrome, its pitiful to watch them.

Obviously cars with proper wheel drive are better all round, not only is there a decent turning circle but the owner had good taste and sense when buying, so is likely to be a good driver..:-))

Drivers of larger cars 4x4's and crossovers. - Bianconeri

I think probably a large minority are driving cars too big for their competence, you only have to witness the parking at a typical supermarket or motorway service area to end up with involuntary head shaking syndrome, its pitiful to watch them.

Obviously cars with proper wheel drive are better all round, not only is there a decent turning circle but the owner had good taste and sense when buying, so is likely to be a good driver..:-))

Symptom of the superficial nature of most in our society, judge people by the badge, size of car and the registration plate, driven by self-importance and over-inflated sense of "me". Everything on tick so no real sense of value. Probably the only thing we are still best in the world at.
Drivers of larger cars 4x4's and crossovers. - Engineer Andy

I always find it amusing (unless they are preventing in me from driving past) when you get one of those huge (usually) German 4x4's or exec barges being driven by the tiny oriental wives (taking little Johnny to prep school) owned by their rich exec husbands, heads barely above the steering wheel (I'm still surprised that they can actually reach the pedals), taking forever to back into a space or 'squeeze' (actually with a 2ft gap each side) past a row of cars.

The best one (I had to laugh even if it did make me 10 mins late for work) was about 15 years ago when one forgot little Johnny left the passenger door ajar, driving off and scraping half a dozen other German barges as she went, eventually she stopped, then opened the drivers door without looking into more of the same driving the opposite way.

Drivers of larger cars 4x4's and crossovers. - expat

I travel a lot on country roads - single track with passing spaces. If no passing space near, mount the grass/muddy verge,

I am in Australia. We have a lot of country roads with a single width of tar in the middle and wide gravel verges. You drive on the tar and watch out for someone coming the other way. You can usually see them a mile away. When you see them I slow right down to about 40kph then move one side of the car well onto the gravel. Most people do the same and you pass with plenty of room between you. Once you are past you wait a moment for the dust to die down then move back onto the tar and go back to normal speed. Crests in the road usually have the tar widened to double width but I keep well over on them anyway. Some times you get a city driver or some one who is a bit ignorant and who moves over the bare minimum but most people do the right thing.

Drivers of larger cars 4x4's and crossovers. - Mchenry

"Why do people buy these cars..."

They don't buy them, their employers do

"Why do people buy these cars..."

They don't buy them, their employers do

By reducing their salary, it's part of their employment package - taxed as such by HMRC.

I'm retired, no comapny pension for me but I've just spend £50k of my own money on a big 4x4 SUV - so that I can enjoy luxury getting to off-road places that no "normal" car could.

Each to their own.

Edited by RT on 30/10/2015 at 13:03

Drivers of larger cars 4x4's and crossovers. - John Boy
t I've just spend £50k of my own money on a big 4x4 SUV

Owner's review then, RT?

t I've just spend £50k of my own money on a big 4x4 SUV

Owner's review then, RT?

VW Touareg SE - too soon for detail, still running it in and haven't been off-road yet - but very well put together, spacious, luxurious and very smooth ride with air suspension and dampers set to comfort - like most modern cars too many computers but that's me being old-fashioned.

Compared to the Hyundai Santa Fe which preceded it, much better in all respects - which might be expected given the price difference but internet brokers can supply the base Touareg under £32k which is less than the top Santa Fe price.

Drivers of larger cars 4x4's and crossovers. - brum
I can enjoy luxury getting to off-road places that no "normal" car could.

Yeah Ive seen a lot like that. Usually parked inches in front of the shop/bank/whatever entrance, but thats only because they couldnt actually drive through into the shop, presumably the door was too small.

I can enjoy luxury getting to off-road places that no "normal" car could.

Yeah Ive seen a lot like that. Usually parked inches in front of the shop/bank/whatever entrance, but thats only because they couldnt actually drive through into the shop, presumably the door was too small.

...or a few yards into the school playing field for a car boot sale - that's as far as most 4x4s ever go, and to be honest, with the sort of bling-bling tyres many come with as standard, can go. To many big 4x4 vehicle drivers, the pavement also becomes part of the road when parking.

Drivers of larger cars 4x4's and crossovers. - xtrailman

Its funny how this attitude changes once snow drops and you are wanting a tow out of a ditch etc.

Its funny how this attitude changes once snow drops and you are wanting a tow out of a ditch etc.

I doubt a Porsche Cayenne (or any other Chelsea tractor) would be that good in real snow and ice with their low profile performance road tyres.

I doubt a Porsche Cayenne (or any other Chelsea tractor) would be that good in real snow and ice with their low profile performance road tyres.

Subarus do ok - often towing my bigger vehicles out of harm's way.

Stereotyping can be applied to anything good or bad, what's wrong with free choice.

I don't understand why anyone buys a car capable of more than 70 mph or with more than one seat as most cars are driven solo - I guess that's other people exercising their choice

Stereotyping can be applied to anything good or bad, what's wrong with free choice.

I don't understand why anyone buys a car capable of more than 70 mph or with more than one seat as most cars are driven solo - I guess that's other people exercising their choice

I'm not stereotyping, I'm just pointing out that a 4x4 with sports type road tyres is not going to be as capable in the snow as a 4x4 fitted with offroad type tyres.

There is nothing wrong with free choice but, there is something wrong when a person is driving a vehicle that is too big for her and forcing myself and others to mount the pavement because she can't drive with her nearside wheels being less than 1.5 metres from the kerb.

I agree, and to be honest, a standard car with winter tyres will normally fare much better than a 4x4 with low profile summer tyres (which the vast majority of them have) - even my old 1-litre Nissan Micra with its skinny tyres faired quite well during the 2003 snow-in (and on ther occasions) compared to most other cars, including one Audi A4 4x4 that was sliding all over the gaff (too much power for the low profile tyres to handle) - I even made it up (with little drama) a quite steep hill, whereas the Audi (and many other big cars) could not. Quite fun actually.

In my view people who actually want or need to regularly go off-road or live in rural/exposed areas which are subject to bad weather/snow in winter will not only buy a proper 4x4 (not pseudo ones like the BMW X3/5 or Audi Q series) with both off-road-capable tyres for winter and other times of the year. Those who buy the BMW/Audis and similar vehicles with summer tyres are, I think doing so to pose and show off (look at my wad - loadsamoney!) - quite a few people have commented over the years that some of these cars are alternative 'Johnson extensions' (I'm sure the alternative would've been ***'ed out) to the supercars of this world.

Drivers of larger cars 4x4's and crossovers. - Ethan Edwards

This is an odd thread.

So 35 years driving covering hundreds of thousands of miles. Suddenly when I buy an suv I apparently lose all the accumulated knowledge and experience?

Then I swap to our other car it all comes back again. Until I get back into the suv when oops there it all goes again.

That about what your saying?

Because I'm calling major BS on your thread. Does it sound like your thread peed me off? It did.

Drivers of larger cars 4x4's and crossovers. - Bolt

This is an odd thread.

<So 35 years driving covering hundreds of thousands of miles. Suddenly when I buy an suv I apparently lose all the accumulated knowledge and experience?>

why is it odd..

certainly seems that some people lose all perspective of driving when they are in an SUV or similar vehicle.

(Because I'm calling major BS on your thread. Does it sound like your thread peed me off? It did.)

Call it what you will, it dont change the facts, and they take up too much room in already congested roads, more especially those that need to learn how to steer them

This is an odd thread.

So 35 years driving covering hundreds of thousands of miles. Suddenly when I buy an suv I apparently lose all the accumulated knowledge and experience?

In all due respect, my mother has held a licence longer than you and she is an awful driver. However, she doesn't drive far from the kerb because she drives a normal (medium) size car and uses the front tyre as a measure of how close she is to the kerb (yes it's not a clever thing to do).

Then I swap to our other car it all comes back again. Until I get back into the suv when oops there it all goes again.

That about what your saying?

Who said that? I've no doubt at all that the person I refered to in the original post is not a confident driver in any car. Nobody mentioned changing cars has an effect on your ability. Many of my Collegues over the years have driven small cars and we drive pretty much the largest trucks on the road.

Because I'm calling major BS on your thread. Does it sound like your thread peed me off? It did.

It's a strange reaction, do you have any doubts about your own abilities? because otherwise I can't see why you'd react so badly?

My main point was that so many people who buy large psuedo 4x4s never have any intention of going off-road, hence the fashion/posing statement.

I have no problem in people buying luxury or sports vehicles, MPVs if they have large families or to fit in large amounts of work stuff on trips, estates are also very good at swallowing people and luggage/work things, but often large psuedo 4x4s are actually no larger inside than many MPVs/estates, plus so many of the 'poser' variety (e.g. the BMW X5 - commonly known as the 'drug-dealer's car of choice, second only in poser value [IMO] to the Range Rover Sport/Porsche Cayenne) have features that aren't suited to actual off-roading (so what's the point other than for the poser value?):

• 19in rims and ultra low-profile summer tyres capable of doing 200mph;
  • Not full-on off-road gearbox features;
  • Luxury leather/suede interiors [where do you put your muddy boots?] and;
  • Engines that can only do less than a fifth of its top speed (limited to 155mph) off road, let alone on.

I've also noticed how many people driving these sort of cars (especially men) use them to 'bully' other road users out of the way, especially on dual carriageways/motorways.

Drivers of larger cars 4x4's and crossovers. - John F

It will soon, especially with the advent of electric motors, be as unacceptable to have only two driven wheels as it used to be to have only two braked wheels. Makers of large RWD cars now realise they have lost many sales in areas such as north USA and alpine regions where the climate and road conditions are not as benign as ours.

With much power, apart from less nimble handling, the dragster look is kid's-toy ludicrous with back wheels much wider than the front ones. Anything over 300hp really needs AWD otherwise the traction control ensures the hp hardly ever reaches the road if it's wet.

4wd is irrelevant in snow if you have summer tyres... as many drivers near us discover..

And teh person behind teh wheel and their driving skills can compensate for summer tyres and 2wd only, whilst some drivers with 4wd and all weather tyres can get stuck on a flat snowy road if they use too many revs at starting off..

Lots of 4wd drivers end up in ditches round here..

I don't think it helps that too many 4x4 drivers (sorry, most of them I see in this sub-category driver Audis and Porsche Cayennes) think they can use 100% of their car's performance in bad, weather, and especially snow and ice, 'just because' their car has 4WD.

Your right, madf, that driving skill - a light, smooth touch on the pedals, early anticipation of manouvres and awareness of other road users/pedestrians/surroundings is just as important as whether the vehicle has winter tyres, and more so than if it has 2 or 4WD.

Drivers of larger cars 4x4's and crossovers. - John F

I don't think it helps that too many 4x4 drivers (sorry, most of them I see in this sub-category driver Audis and Porsche Cayennes) think they can use 100% of their car's performance in bad, weather, and especially snow and ice, 'just because' their car has 4WD.

True, but a well made 4WD does help.....

www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAORFjO3cGI

........enjoy

Weekend story: Sunday pm.

Queues at roundabout near local Sainsbury.

Motorbike crashes on roundabout, (reason? don't know).. - cyclist on ground on roundabout inner lane - unconscious - so driver in Range Rover consciously drives past in outer lane scattering debris and preventing any help coming to unconscious biker's aid.

(May have been cause of crash - don't know).

Drives off , does not stop. Rest of traffic does to allow first aid..

May-be, but I wonder how many of the other cars were either RWD (no good in snow and ice without putting some serious weight in the boot to get reasonable traction) or just being plain badly driven? I've driven up 'hills' in snow and ice much steeper than that in both my old Nissan Micra and current Mazda3 without too many problems (without winter/all-season tyres either).

Yes, 4WD can help (all other things being equal), as long as the driver knows how to drive in snow and ice. I've seen plenty of 4WD vehicles in serious difficulty when I've been doing ok, the most likely (and common) causes being too much right foot and being in too low a gear.

Drivers of larger cars 4x4's and crossovers. - skidpan

Makers of large RWD cars now realise they have lost many sales in areas such as north USA and alpine regions where the climate and road conditions are not as benign as ours.

BMW and Merc sell bucket loads of cars in Alpine regions and the drivers have no issues simply because the fit the correct tyres.

Not noticed sales of Mercs and BMW's plumetting worldwide.

Summer tyres on a heavy 4x4 are a recipe for supper in a ditch.

Drivers of larger cars 4x4's and crossovers. - Snakey

Nice to know the jealous hatred of 4x4 drivers is still thriving.

Personally I don't think people should drive Audi A6 or A8's as it seems to make you drive like a tool. But then I remember we live in a democracy and we still have freedom of choice.

Drivers of larger cars 4x4's and crossovers. - gordonbennet

The problem with X5's Q7's RR's and the like is that they are often bought by road bullies, who use the size of the vehicle to force their way through without care or indication or any form of correct lane use, the ignorant in other words.

They are not alone in this, but as with lorry drivers who behave in this way they stand out like a sore thumb, gaining the name for themselves they wouldn't like (though care less) and unfortunately tarring those who don't behave like this but drive similar vehicles with the same brush.

It's part of the reason i'm sure why many drivers smile when they see such vehicles in difficult straits.