What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Nissan Micra - Advice please - to sell or not to sell? - ACLWoking

I am hoping for some advice from you all! We own two cars, but as I got a new job we now only need one. We're hesitating about what to do. Below is a description of each car and my view of the pros and cons of the different options. We need the car for my partner's commute and for occasional holidays, so around 15000 miles per year.
car 1 ford focus estate, 2005; 143,000 miles; diesel At the last MOT we changed 2 tires and the break pads, and the timing belt and water pumps were changed about 2 years ago. car 2 nissan micra 5 door; 2006; 23,000 miles; petrol It has only had 1 owner before me, and is in mint condition (nothing flagged at last MOT). Option 1: sell the micra pros - we'll get a bit of money cons - the price we were quoted was low as it was based on age rather than mileage and condition; also if the ford breaks down we have a backup. option 2: sell the ford pros - the micra is in mint condition with much lower mileage cons - we will hardly get any money for it since it is old even if it runs fine; the micra is a bit small for our holiday with luggage and pets (though we could get around that) option 3: keep both but put the micra SORN pros - a backup if the ford dies; if I change jobs I might need a car again. cons - If I don't change jobs and try to sell it in a year it will be worth even less. I would be grateful for your advice.

Edited by ACLWoking on 19/10/2015 at 18:49

Nissan Micra - Advice please - to sell or not to sell? - scot22

As someone who finds it difficult to make his own mind up I support the option which allows most room for manoeuvre, i.e keep both. The price of the micra can't have much further to fall and it is, as you say, a backup.

You never know with cars so my feeling would be to make a cautious choice.

Nissan Micra - Advice please - to sell or not to sell? - RobJP

I would agree with scot22.

Nissan Micra - Advice please - to sell or not to sell? - Bromptonaut

As others say keep both.

If you SORN the Micra have you got somewhere to keep it where it's right off the road and not in the way? Will it still be insured (at least for fire theft) and have you thought through how to stop it deteriorating while stored.

Also if it's on 'warm standby' to cover for the Focus but SORN and not insured for road use there's a bit o paperwork to do to get it back on the road. Although you say you don't need it in your new job are you sure you won't change your mind and/or discover that being carless while the Focus is 'on duty' for the commute is a PITA.

If you can afford the insurance/VED for the Micra then I'd keep both and use them interchangeably for the longer commute and general social/domestic use.

Nissan Micra - Advice please - to sell or not to sell? - ACLWoking

Thank you!

Yes, I have a parking spot to keep it in (not covered), so it's not a huge deal. My worry with having the Micra SORN is that it might get damaged not being used (I don't know enough about cars: is letting the engine run a few minutes per month while parked enough, along with having the battery unplugged?).

Nissan Micra - Advice please - to sell or not to sell? - Andrew-T

My worry with having the Micra SORN is that it might get damaged not being used (I don't know enough about cars: is letting the engine run a few minutes per month while parked enough, along with having the battery unplugged?).

There are other threads on here about what to do if a car is 'laid up'. If you are talking about several months, you will need to think about tyres losing pressure and flat-spotting, for instance. As it's not under cover you must remember to remove all kinds of fallout from the exterior too, especially if it causes paint damage - and the interior could do with occasional ventilation.