What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus 1.6 2002 Ghia - High oil consumption? - Markb03

On the 10th August I had a oil change and filter change. Done at home by me and a friend (I trust him. He has done other work for me)

Since then I have had to top it up twice. The dip stick read almost low on both occasions.

I have been driving to work which is a commute of about 44 miles per day and five times a week. Plus other driving. Only just started this job so in a month I have estimated I have done about 800-1000 miles.

When I checked the dipstick today it was about 1/4 above empty. I filled it back up to full and left it.

Does that sound like its burning to much? Most of my work journey is motorway so it will be spinning the engine at around 2750 rpm for 75% of the journey. Would this burn it off quicker?

Many thanks for any help and any questions to help me further. Then please ask.

Cheers

Ford Focus 1.6 2002 Ghia - High oil consumption? - Peter.N.

If there is no evidence of a leak it must be burning it. Watch the exhaust for smoke when accelerating after descending a long hill.

Ford Focus 1.6 2002 Ghia - High oil consumption? - elekie&a/c doctor

What oil did you use?

Ford Focus 1.6 2002 Ghia - High oil consumption? - Peter D

Sounds like the wrong grade/viscosity of oil. Regards Peter

Ford Focus 1.6 2002 Ghia - High oil consumption? - John F

Does that sound like its burning to much?

Impossible to answer as you do not say how much oil you put in for how many miles.

I suspect you have the 1.6 Zetec engine. We've had one since 29,000m - bog standard semi-synth 5-30 oil and filter every 10-12k. My records show that lately (now at 112k) it has required 3 x 500mls between changes (I wait till it's at or just below the minimum mark) so that's about 1l every 6k miles which I think is pretty good for a well looked after 15yr old engine which has gone round the world x 4.

I suggest you wait till the level is dead on the minimum mark, put 500mls in, and see how many miles it does before it gets back down to the mark. You should get at least 1000miles unless it is very old and worn. Mine is probably better than most as I am obsessional about leaving it overnight to drain the last few mls of dark gunge that sticks to the side of the engine (like tomato sauce bottle - far more important than changing oil every 365 days).