What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus 1.8tdci (Jan 2005) - Engine / Transmission Judder - mazda60

Hi,

My daughters car has recently developed severe juddering under heavy throttle at about 1500 rpm in 4th gear.

Dropping down to 3rd appears to cure the problem. She thinks it may be happening at other combinations of gear and revs but she has not noted these but I have now asked her to do so.

Can anyone give us any assistance to cure the problem ?

Thanks in Anticipation.

Hi Again,

My daughter is now reporting two other issues associated with the original post.

The first is engine cutting out immediately on taking off from a stand still and secondly when running under a very light throttle at about 30 mph she feels the engine is running unevenly ("hunting").

Any suggstions of the cause would be appreciated.

Thanks.

o

Ford Focus 1.8tdci (Jan 2005) - Engine / Transmission Judder - RobJP

Is the car well maintained / due a service ?

She is reporting 2 very different sets of symptoms. The first set sounds like a clutch/DMF issue, whereas the second set sounds more like a timing or fueling problem.

I'd suggest taking it into a garage and asking them to investigate.

NOTE : NOT a Ford dealership. An independent garage.

Hi,

Thanks for your post.

It is well maintained, last full service was last January at about 88 k.

I have taken it to the garage we use for all our family vehicles (5) and will post the outcome of their investiagtions.

I have complete trust in them from past car issues.

Regards.

Ford Focus 1.8tdci (Jan 2005) - Engine / Transmission Judder - J0HNuk

I had very similar problems with my 2.0 TDCi. The judder was most noticable when passing through a point just below 2000 RPM in each gear. It got progressively worse over a year (I think car had done about 90K at the time) and then it starting running rough, lumpy tickover almost stalling at junctions. Turns out it was the Dual Mass Flywheel, which is a very common problem on modern diesels apparently.

Some sensor takes readings off the flywheel and as the flywheel was wobbling/ vibrating it was affecting readings and hence poor running.

£860 for a DM flywheel and clutch (I think it was august 2014) at a decent indy garage.