£4.5k, which family car to keep long term? - K21000

I have a max budget of £4,500 to spend on a used family car, with a mind to keep it long term. In an ideal world, I would really like a nice Mondeo/Insignia for comfort, space any toys. Trouble is, I only average 10-12k max mileage, mostly local driving, 18 mile round trips. I really want a diesel, as I love the power delivery and fuel economy, but I am scared of buying because of the dreaded four (DMF, DPF, Injectors and Turbos). I really don’t fancy a gutless petrol that’s bad on fuel either. I don’t have a spare £1000 in my back pocket for a diesel repair bill either. Not a good situation!

£4.5k, which family car to keep long term? - Avant

You're right - diesels are too much of a gamble at your budget level.

For reliability you need something Japanese and petrol-powered. A Toyota would be my choice for long-term reliability, but if you want somethoing a little livelier a Mazda 6 is well worth a look.

Alternatively go for a Mondeo or Focus (petrol again) simply because there are lots around to choose from.

Either way aim for a full service history and reasonable mileage - not too high and not too low.

£4.5k, which family car to keep long term? - iFocus

How 'big' does the car need to be?

I only ask as you could get a Kia Cee'd (or an estate version if you really need space). And you can get a 1.6 CRDi, its a great engine and in your budget you'll get one without a DMF or a DPF! The CRDi engine is reliable and doesn't suffer from issues like the PSA/Ford engines.

I find mine (a 2008 LS Model) is extremely comfortable, and it has cruise control, climate control, iPod/aux socket (which I've added bluetooth to using an Kinivo device) and part leather seats. It drives well too which surprised me when I bought it.

And another bonus is you may find one with a bit of Kia warranty left too!

I'm not sure the Kia has enough grunt looking at the specs. it's a nice looking car though. I keep going back to the MK 2.5 focus titanium 2.0 petrol for some reason. I really liked the ride and handling of my old mk2 ghia, but the 100hp 1.6 engine was awfully slow. I'm not a boy racer, but would like a nice handling car with a decent amount of power on tap. I'm not even sure how much better the 2.0 petrol will be. On paper it looks about a third more powerful. I could live with the higher Road tax if it was not ridiculously heavy on fuel.

£4.5k, which family car to keep long term? - 72 dudes

You need to try a few of your options to see what suits you.

I once tried a Volvo S40 with the 2.0 petrol engine (same unit as in the Focus/Mondeo 2.0), and coming from the S40 2.0D, found it disappointingly gutless, as well as too high revving on the motorway. Certainly didn't feel like it had 143 BHP.

I agree with Avant, you want petrol, so aim for an Avensis VVTi (1.8 or 2.0), Honda Accord 2.0 or Mazda 6.

Thanks, that's very interesting. Those Japanese petrol cars don't seem to offer more bhp or torque than the ford on paper and are possibly heavier than the Focus. I remember many years ago driving a new mazda 6 petrol 2.0 estate hire car (maybe 2004), it was nice, with really good brakes, but was VERY poor on fuel. This was mostly motorway miles too. I don't know, should I risk a diesel? I have also heard similar reports on the ford duratec 2.0 feeling gutless. I would be so annoyed if I went for this and had the same feeling I had with the 1.6 petrol...

£4.5k, which family car to keep long term? - Avant

It's torque that matters rather than outright power. Some seemingly powerful engines are short of low-down grunt, and this can be frustrating. I haven't driven a 2.0 petrol Ford - try to find one in your price range from a dealer and get a test drive.

I'm not sure what age of car your budget buys you: but if you go for a pre-DPF diesel like the Kia mentioned above, or a VW or Skoda with the 1.9 TDI engine, you could find something reliable. Skoda Octavias used to be available with the 1.8 petrol engine, but they may be hard to find.

£4.5k, which family car to keep long term? - Engineer Andy

What you really need is an 'old school' 2 ltr petrol engined car. Sadly not too many of them around on forecourts thesedays - its mostly little turbo-charged ones, medium-sized Japanese offerings that you have to thrash to get decent performance or the latest de-tuned 2 ltr offering from Mazda (which might've been fine [it appears to be the equivalent performance of a 1.8 petrol] if it were also available on older models in your price range).

Your £4.5k budget unfortunately limits you to older cars if you intend on going for one with a bit of poke. You could try the previous gen 1.8 petrol Toyota Avensis - very reliable, reasonable performace but good mpg (see HJ reviews), but isn't going to handle anywhere near as good as a Ford or Mazda. As Avant says, it'll be the test drive that is the deciding factor - all the rest can be gleaned from online research, reading reviews/comments (as here) and speaking to friends/family/work colleagues.

Ideally the beemer 2 ltr would be the ideal choice on performance, but whatever you could afford (not much) would be a lower-spec model for 'newer' models or old, less reliable ones if you wanted more toys or more space (say a 3-series Touring or 5-series) with that engine, which has its faults.

Never easy when the budget's tight. You might find a worn-in car might be better than a (tight-engined) brand new one on mpg (my Mazda3 1.6p was 10-15% less on the mpg in its first year than after), so the Mazda6 might still be worth a look. I would also nail down what the minimum spec needs to be acceptable to you (particularly with the toys), as they can make a large difference on the price, even in older cars.

When you go for the test drive, try and do so on a reasonably warm/sunny day (difficult I know, especially as its now Autumn) and turn the A/C on to a low temperature so you can see what effect it has on engine performance when you're giving it a bit of welly. If you or any family members have a bad back or don't like a firm or bouncy ride, take them with you (this will also gauge the performance with people and boot loads [it may be worth taking some stuff to see the effect]) to see if they prefer the ride of one car over another - Mazdas mostly have firm rides (though not as much as German premium cars on huge rims), as do Hondas, though I think Toyotas may be a bit better on that score.

Best of luck.

£4.5k, which family car to keep long term? - FP

I've been running a Focus mk2 2-litre for some years now and like it a lot - and this was after driving a diesel.

It's a nice engine. Mine has been almost trouble-free in 50,000 miles (not sure if replacing the alternator counts as an engine issue, but the EGR valve was replaced recently and that's it) and gives high 30s mpg on short journeys, rising to mid-forties on a long journey if you drive at around 65 mph.

Road noise was a bit high on the original tyres (Firestone, IIRC), but hugely improved now I'm on Michelin energy-savers.

Edited by FP on 21/09/2015 at 12:20

I think overall I will probably go for the Focus. I just like them. I reckon I could get a reasonable mk 2.5 titanium 2.0 petrol or diesel for my money, maybe 2008/2009. I now have the challenge of finding one of each in Cornwall to test drive. I suppose I could go for the diesel with piece of mind if I paid £30 per month for repairs cover. The fuel savings and cheaper road tax would cover some of this.

Looking at breakdown warranties again in more detail, they are probably not worth the paper they are written on with all the get out clauses! It's looking like a 2.0 petrol Focus then. They are a bit like hens teeth, especially in Cornwall, so I will probably have to travel to get a decent one.

£4.5k, which family car to keep long term? - skidpan

I'm not sure the Kia has enough grunt looking at the specs

We had a Kia Ceed SW 1.6 CRDi for almost 5 years, totally trouble free. It was comfortable on long trips and reasonably refined but when we sold it the Michelin tyres although only 1/2 worn had developed a strange wear pattern on the edges that resulted in a wheel bearing type noise on poor road surfaces. A common issue but not one covered under any warranty. The dealers tip was not to fit Michelins (even though they were OEM fitment).

Before the Ceed we had a C-Max for 5 years and again we were totally happy with it. Decided to buy an estate and the Focus was at the top of the list. We tried all the diesles, the 1.6 (like we had in the C-Max, the 1.8 and the 2 litre and were underwealmed by all. Not only that but the Focus was very cramped in the rear and the boot space was smaller than earlier versions.

So we tried the Ceed and immediately it felt right. More than enough power for UK roads (it felt much sharper than the Focus with any engine) and loads more space.

Try one then decide.

When we sold ours about 4 months ago it was almost 5 years old but in truth was worth more than you have to spend. Your budget should get you a 10 plate car and the good news is that will not have a DPF to worry about. Neither do they have DMF's. The Focus's have both, another reason to get the Kia along with the remaining warranty if you get one with a full (preferably Kia) service history.

£4.5k, which family car to keep long term? - Engineer Andy

Looking at breakdown warranties again in more detail, they are probably not worth the paper they are written on with all the get out clauses! It's looking like a 2.0 petrol Focus then. They are a bit like hens teeth, especially in Cornwall, so I will probably have to travel to get a decent one.

Being rather biased (I have a 1.6p TS2 version), you could have a look at the Focus's Japanese cousin, the Mazda 3, which also comes in 2 ltr petrol form, almost as good handling as the Focus and is generally more reliable (make sure any recalled stuff [mainly the traction control stiff - see HJ's good and bad] has been fixed, that's all) - you might find a good 5 or 4 (better looking if you ask me than the hatch, though not many around) mk 1.5 (revised mk1 - same chassis base as the Focus Mk 2 and 2.5) Sport model.

Example (quite a long way away [Middlesborough], via HJ Cars for Sale) 2008 mk1.5 Sport 2ltr 4dr: www.evanshalshaw.com/search/vehicledetails/used-ca.../

Saying that, I quite like the looks (inside and out) of the Focus mk 2 and especially 2.5, more than the latest version (rear end isn't nice at all, front now ok after the makeover).

I have changed my mind several times over the last few months on which car to choose, but I now find myself going back to this post. My budget has come down a bit to 4k, but I am very seriously looking at one of these 1.6 diesel seeds. Do they really not have a DMF? I am interested in the 114bhp version. The main thing for me is no DPF. the 2008 LS model is nice. Have Kia recalled some of these cars to detune the turbo?

£4.5k, which family car to keep long term? - iFocus

Yes, there is no DMF only a SMF.

According to HJ some had the turbo's detuned but I can't tell if mine was done. Its punchy and the power delivery is great.

I've had mine for over a year now and had no issues with it.

I'd go so far as saying its one of the best cars I've owned.

£4.5k, which family car to keep long term? - Sulphur Man

As your budget is strict, and you dont want any unforseen large repair bills, Japanese and petrol is a sensible option, especially with your intended mileage.

An 58/09 Toyota Avensis Tourer 1.8 TR should be within reach. Good car, the Valvematic engines are very strong.

There's more toys in a Honda Accord Estate 2.0 petrol - not sure if theyre quite in budget though.

We tried the petrol Avensis when we bought the Ceed, despite the promised power it was a total slug, would not bother if I were you.

£4.5k, which family car to keep long term? - steelghost

As a counterpoint to the opinion expressed above, we had a 1.6CRDi i30, which we recently replaced with a 1.8 Valvematic Avensis. Driven back to back the (relative) lack of low end torque in the Avensis makes it feel slower, but once you adjust to the fact it's a petrol engine and it needs a bit more revs, I found it just as good as the i30 for keeping up with traffic.

As always - I'm just some guy on the internet making suggestions, test drives are the key here.

Edited by steelghost on 23/09/2015 at 12:30

As always - I'm just some guy on the internet making suggestions, test drives are the key here.

Totally agree.