What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
2004 ford focus 1.8tdci mk1 - ford focus alternator problem? - johno665

Right, i changed my alterntor because it was failing, fitted a used used one the battery light was still on, done all the checks 3 pin plug was ok check the red wire for connectivity all was good. This was charging better than my last alternator was put it under load and it dropped below 12v and never raised to i was happy it was the alternator and was organising to get another sent out(budget as very low on cash at mo).

Well weirdly today i took my car out at risk of breaking down to sort some stuff out, parked up 10 mins later moved off and the light never came on again, it hasn't been coming that much now. This is the same problem my old alt was doin before the battery light would come o then go off and eventually would always come on 15-20 odd seconds after car started, with the light on my front dimister doesn't work either.

I am still thinking it is the alternator some more advice would be great, for now the batt light is out but for how long i don't know. when i am abit more flash with cash i am looking at a brand new alt and drive belt but for now have to do with what i have.

2004 ford focus 1.8tdci mk1 - ford focus alternator problem? - Peter.N.

Strange one that, I would have thought that getting another faulty alternater was pretty unlikely. If the light comes on again connect a voltmeter to the small terminal on the alternator and check the voltage, if there is nothing or very little on it the alternator will be the problem but if it is showing 12v+ you must have a wiring fault. You should have about 14.4 volts across the battery if its charging correctly.

Well i pu the voltmeter accross on to the alternator that is pushing out exactly what i get at the battery. With the smart plug in around 13.8v and without the smart plug in 12.6v. But shouldn't the alternator be pushing out 13.8v ish with the smart charge plug off? Anyways aswell i checked for voltages on the pins for smart charger pin one has battery voltage on two was 0.05v and pin three was 9v volts this is with ignition on no engine running.

The weird thing is the other day it was charging at 14.2v very weird. This is something i don't understand when i take out fuse 10 the charging rate goes up to 14.2v around but i don't understand why it does this.

2004 ford focus 1.8tdci mk1 - ford focus alternator problem? - hardway

Charging system on those is controled by the vehicle ECU,

so a check with scan tool to verify IF there's comunication between the ECU and the alternator.

System is designed to charge the battery more when cold than hot,

this is controlled by the air intake sensor so that could be an area to check.

I am going to get a scan tool later to see what it says hopefully it will shed some light on this problem

2004 ford focus 1.8tdci mk1 - ford focus alternator problem? - elekie&a/c doctor

On these smart systems,the alternator should charge at default voltage of around 13.8-14.2 volts with the 3 pin plug disconnected.If this is not happening on your car,then either the alternator ,the drive belt system,or the wiring to the unit is not up to spec.A cheap scanner may not work on this as the vehicle is possibly not obd2 compliant.

2004 ford focus 1.8tdci mk1 - ford focus alternator problem? - bathtub tom

At the age of your Focus I'd be carefully checking all the earth connections. There used to be one hidden under the battery that caused problems IIRC.

Going to check them all again when weather is good hopefully friday also going to double check all the wires too the alternator just incase

Edited by johno665 on 23/09/2015 at 12:24

2004 ford focus 1.8tdci mk1 - ford focus alternator problem? - mfarrow
How old is the battery? It could be confusing the system if it's old, undercharged or sulphated.

Well i am not sure on the age of the battery I've had the car for 3.5 years and ive not changed it. I have charged the battery over nite and light still came on.

Edited by johno665 on 24/09/2015 at 13:19

Well changed my alternator for a new one this time light is out. £80 for this alternator and 2 hours work happy man now!!!