What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus - 05 1.6 petrol focus idle problem - Rabjam2003

Hi All,

I just bought a 2005 1.6 petrol for focus. The problem I have is as soon as I start the car it idles at 1200 rpm and stays there until the car is up to running temp. As soon as it gets to running temp the revs jump between 1300 to 1400 rpm and the throttle pedal doesn’t work. So I have to turn the car off to get it to go again, but as soon as I stop at lights for more than a couple of seconds it starts revving itself up and down again and the throttle doesn’t work again.

I have cleaned the original throttle body and that didn’t work so I fitted a second hand throttle body and that didn't work. I also changed the air sensor beside the throttle body, but that didn’t work.

I also check the rubber hose at the air manifold for an air leak but it has already been replaced.

I also tried to reset the idle by disconnecting the battery for 15 to 30 mins, then starting the car without touching the throttle pedal, once warm drive for 5 mins then turn off for a min or 2 then restart, but that hasn't worked either.

anyone got any ideas ?

Any help much appreciated.